The Band - I Shall Be Released

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

The Band - I Shall Be Released

Post by Rodgre » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:43 pm

I was just listening to The Band's Music From Big Pink and among many many things that I love about that record, I noticed something very hip and ahead of it's time in the mix of the haunting "I Shall Be Released."

There is an atmospheric track of a keyboard (a Roxochord according to one website) run through a wah pedal for a slow and dreamy filter sweep that the whole song floats on. Very very cool. Check it out if you have it.

Roger

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:37 am

I've heard somewhere that Garth Hudson was making some pedals back then - I wonder if the wah filter thing is something he concocted, or if it's even true that he was messing around with that kind of thing at all.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:09 am

That's one of my favorite records right now. How about The Weight? Gets me every time.

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:17 pm

How 'bout Robbie's way-high girl harmonies? Autotune free and loving it.

I've been listening to the Genuine Basement Tapes lately, too. Doesn't sound great, but they seemed to be having a good time.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:12 am

THere's so much that's cool about that track. The panned reverb on the piano, esp. on the count off, the strummed snare, the switch from 1 and 3 in the verses to 2 and 4 in the choruses on the ac gtr. the whole thing holds together like lace. it's amazing.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:37 am

Yeah, the great thing about that record and that Band is that no one is ever going through the motions on any part of any song. There's no "he's just the bass player" parts or anything. Everyone adds a certain specialness to every part, usually very understated, that makes a really awesome whole.

What are the "Genuine" Basement tapes? Different from the regular basement tapes?

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:41 am

honkyjonk wrote:
What are the "Genuine" Basement tapes? Different from the regular basement tapes?
There are something like ten cds worth of stuff that they recorded in that basement which the "official" basement tapes were culled from. The've been bootlegged under a lot of different names: A Tree with Roots, A Tree with Branches, etc. As an artifact they are fantastic. The recording quality varies a lot, but the playing and the songs are fun and weird and wonderful.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:57 am

Then, too, I think that official release from the mid-1970s had some vocal overdubs (done much later than the original sessions) and other offenses against the original nature of the sessions.

I highly recommend that you AVOID the Greil Marcus book about the sessions at all costs. It is just so haughty and pseudoacademic. If you want to know about the official sessions, find a way to hear them. They are fantastic in ways not even suggested by the official release, nor by the Band's Big Pink album (which is also fantastic in its own way)

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:33 pm

Chest Fever. nuff said. Wow.

if6was9
audio school graduate

Post by if6was9 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:08 pm

wrenhunter wrote:How 'bout Robbie's way-high girl harmonies?
I'm pretty sure the high harmonies are Richard Manuel. Richard was a great singer!

According to Levon's book, Robbie's singing was so bad that they didn't normally route his mic out to the house in live performance (great guitar player, though).
Who is the Fool with the guitar?
Find out at http://HobbyhorseMusic.com

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:30 pm

if6was9 wrote:
wrenhunter wrote:How 'bout Robbie's way-high girl harmonies?
I'm pretty sure the high harmonies are Richard Manuel. Richard was a great singer!

According to Levon's book, Robbie's singing was so bad that they didn't normally route his mic out to the house in live performance (great guitar player, though).
That's my understanding too, although I read somewhere that Robbie did sing on a "Big Pink" cut, was it Caldonia Mission? I don't remember.

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:19 pm

Some of the tunes on the '75 release are definitely NOT basement tapes, I think they're demo tracks from before the first record. Cane on the Brazos, Don't You Tell Henry, Dear Katie, etc.-- all recorded in a real studio. People wonder about Robertson's motives for including them, but they're great tunes.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:08 pm

Re the vocal questions above:

Robbie sang lead on "To Kingdom Come" on BIG PINK, which gives you some idea what his voice was like at the time.

Any falsetto vocals on Band albums are usually Richard Manuel, except when he's singing lower, then it might be Robbie on the high part: e.g., "Katie's Been Gone."

Hope this helps.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

pantone247
takin' a dinner break

Post by pantone247 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:04 am

track this bad boy down, it deal with the brown album but I think it was the same producer he, if I remember rightly, talks about big pink... dude ends up drawing diagrams of where they all sat in the studio, Levon sits at a kit and goes thru his drum parts, and they get busy with the vocal harmonies on the mixing desk. Amazing DVD probaly one of the best in the Classic Albums series
INDIE TILL I DIE

lukievan
takin' a dinner break

Dixie

Post by lukievan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:01 am

S.O.S. magazine (a pretty good British recording/engineering rag) did a piece about the recording of 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' in their 'Classic Tracks' column. It's not free on their site, but it's well worth tracking down if you want to peek at the magic.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct06/a ... s_1006.htm