J.Dilla Donuts

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

bradb
pushin' record

J.Dilla Donuts

Post by bradb » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:44 pm

I've been listening to this a little bit.

The thing that i notice is the obvious use of compression here and there.. its particularly noticable on anti-american graffitti... which i like alot.

but check out the compression... weird.

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by konabuzz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:30 pm

I, too, am a fan of Donuts....

You know the story of how it was recorded/arranged? J. Dilla was dying of lupus and did practically all of this on his laptop from his hospital bed -- he'd just finished it before he passed on.

What I'd like to know is .....did he have the final say on the mix/production or did someone else contribute after the fact? Not that I'm complaining -- far from it....I think this is a mind-blower.....really dig it.

I'll have to check out your reference to the compression.....

There is another J. Dilla release that just came out -- gotta check it out...can't remember what it's called .....ahhhh....nope...
"Jigsaw Jazz and the Get Fresh Flow"

http://www.youtube.com/user/simpletech?feature=mhee

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:03 am

I can't quote directly, but I thought I read something about Donuts being mixed/wrapped up by someone else. Can't remember where I read that or who did it. I rememeber that the person made it sound gritty, or kept it gritty. Apparently J.Dilla is a big fan of the cassette sound and that was retained.

Personally, I spit on the grave of cassettes... but thats another thread.

There's another song on there where (lets call it) sound A gets really "blown out" when sound B plays, like there is a limited amount of fidelity and when the two sounds play together it maxes out in a cool way. Lemme find that and post the name of the track.

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:25 am

Found it...

Track 22... Gobstopper.. Listen how the horns dissolve when the kick hits.

That's pretty cool

at least one of these tracks is on the latest Ghostface record...

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:37 am

Also, listen to One Eleven...

The kick totally shuts down everything else when it hits. That's pretty noticable there.

LifeGoesOff
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by LifeGoesOff » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:34 am

If I remember correctly, Donuts was released just before his death. I read a story about him celebrating the release around the time of his birthday.

There are two more releases that have come out since his death. "The Shining" and "Jay Love Japan"...although I'm not too sure, but I think that those records were handled by someone at the end to finish them up.

Jay Dee has always been a fan of the SUPER compressed track. You can hear it on productions throughout his career. Check out Madlib, who also uses similar techniques.

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:58 am

you're completely right!