One-chord songs

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:48 pm

"See Line Woman" - Nina Simone, I think is just one chord.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:01 pm

lg wrote:aretha: chain of fools
DANG - Somehow I never noticed that was only one chord. Kind of reminds me of the time I realized there's no bass in "When Doves Cry".

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:44 am

Tatertot wrote:there's no bass in "When Doves Cry".
4 Cereal?!?! :shock:

Jpp
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Jpp » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:36 am

Come on, people... LAND OF A THOUSAND DANCES! Even Dave Barry knows that one.

And while "Tomorrow Never Knows" is commonly hailed as a single chord, there actually is a second one in there.

Jpp

mjl
pluggin' in mics

Post by mjl » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:26 am

Allegedly, every song on this Billy Childish/Holly Golightly album is one chord only.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Billy-Child ... 65-1161515

"ONE CHORD! ONE SONG! ONE SOUND!"

Although, even if you just strum a CM (C E G) and sing a simple melody like "C D E F", when you combine the notes from the voice and the notes from the strum, you get more then one chord. So I wonder if any of these examples hold up, from a strict music theory point of view...

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:36 am

Tatertot wrote:There's a one-chord song on Elvis Costello's "This Year's Model". I forget which one it is. I remember from the liner notes that he set out to write a one-chord song. Sorry to send you on a wild goose chase but I don't have a copy around right now.
You're thinking of Big Boys. He explains in the notes that his goal in sitting down to write the song was the one chord thing but he actually does make some changes.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:39 am

Rufer wrote:
Tatertot wrote:There's a one-chord song on Elvis Costello's "This Year's Model". I forget which one it is. I remember from the liner notes that he set out to write a one-chord song. Sorry to send you on a wild goose chase but I don't have a copy around right now.
You're thinking of Big Boys. He explains in the notes that his goal in sitting down to write the song was the one chord thing but he actually does make some changes.
That explains why I can never remember which song it is that only has one chord: The correct answer, for that album, is NONE OF THEM.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:03 pm

mjl wrote:Although, even if you just strum a CM (C E G) and sing a simple melody like "C D E F", when you combine the notes from the voice and the notes from the strum, you get more then one chord. So I wonder if any of these examples hold up, from a strict music theory point of view...
well yeah, given that, but i think, within the 'typical' structure of a pop tune with chords & melody, what's being discussed here are more or less global changes that affect the overall tonality of a composition, not variations on a static chord structure (i'm not sure what the formal name is for what you're talking about, but i get the theory aspect of it). the idea of keepng it simple from a harmonic standpoint is compelling, because it forces the composer to rely on other attributes of the form (rhythm, timbre, phrasing, dynamics, instrumentation, etc.) to keep things interesting. some of the people we've been discussing here do this rather well (miles, though hardly a producer of pop, and thus also kind of 'officially ineligible' for this discussion, was in my opinion a real master at this).

fallout
audio school graduate

Post by fallout » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:36 pm

Dont forget, pretty much any Neu! songs...

-J

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:21 am

Lime In the Coconut
--Nilsson

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:24 am

Mother of God, Close Lobsters

ludwig_van
gettin' sounds

Post by ludwig_van » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:25 pm

lg wrote:
mjl wrote:Although, even if you just strum a CM (C E G) and sing a simple melody like "C D E F", when you combine the notes from the voice and the notes from the strum, you get more then one chord. So I wonder if any of these examples hold up, from a strict music theory point of view...

well yeah, given that, but i think, within the 'typical' structure of a pop tune with chords & melody, what's being discussed here are more or less global changes that affect the overall tonality of a composition, not variations on a static chord structure (i'm not sure what the formal name is for what you're talking about, but i get the theory aspect of it).
Those are called non-harmonic tones. There are a bunch of different types - passing tones, escape tones, appogiaturas. Check out the non-harmonic tones lesson at http://musictheory.net. Assuming they eventually resolve to a chord tone, they don't actually change the harmony, so they wouldn't disqualify something from being a one-chord song.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:43 pm

spacemen 3 made a 'career' out of it.

There are a few Beat Happening and Young Marble Giants songs for sure but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

'your love is strange' by the dramatics has a bridge change but the rest of it is a single drone bass note.

Miles
audio school graduate

Post by Miles » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Mannish Boy, Muddy Waters.

modernkicks
alignin' 24-trk

Post by modernkicks » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:40 am

Descendents - "All"