Fugazi, Instrumental Soundtrack

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Post Reply
User avatar
Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:54 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Fugazi, Instrumental Soundtrack

Post by Monkeyfist » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:04 pm

Anyone know if this was a live one take/one cut type thing?
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist
Posts: 6436
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 11:15 am

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:35 pm

some of it sounds like it. like track 2 sounds like a practice space jam to me. a really fucking good one. some of it sounds like more worked out demos of stuff that ended up on end hits. i love ians piano song on there.

User avatar
nlmd311
tinnitus
Posts: 1172
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Florida

Post by nlmd311 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:54 pm

I agree with MoreSpaceEcho.
Some definitely sounds just like them jamming in a room, some more polished, and some are definitely End Hits demos and pre-production instrumentals.
Check out the Instrument film if you haven't already. Amazing and really cool to see them working on some of the songs. I remember the first time I saw it (got it when it came out on DVD), and I couldn't make it through the opening ("Shut The Door") without rewinding about 3 times.
"I'm so tired", the piano song, is one of my all time favorite Fugazi songs. Such a powerful and just plain cool song.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

amishsixstringer
takin' a dinner break
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Northeast OHIO
Contact:

Post by amishsixstringer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:08 pm

There are parts when the bass guitar is the only instrument playing and you can hear snare wires buzzing. I noticed this a few weeks ago. Lovely records from some straight edge chaps.

Neil

User avatar
Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:54 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by Monkeyfist » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:11 pm

nlmd311 wrote:I agree with MoreSpaceEcho.
Some definitely sounds just like them jamming in a room, some more polished, and some are definitely End Hits demos and pre-production instrumentals.
Check out the Instrument film if you haven't already. Amazing and really cool to see them working on some of the songs. I remember the first time I saw it (got it when it came out on DVD), and I couldn't make it through the opening ("Shut The Door") without rewinding about 3 times.
"I'm so tired", the piano song, is one of my all time favorite Fugazi songs. Such a powerful and just plain cool song.

-Darrill
I will have to check out the film for sure. I wasn't aware of it. Now I must have it.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

User avatar
nlmd311
tinnitus
Posts: 1172
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Florida

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:35 pm

Definitely try to get a hold of a copy.
I'd recommend it to anyone regardless of whether they are a fan of Fugazi or not. I think it's just a great film.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

User avatar
ThunderFaceWizardHead
alignin' 24-trk
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:01 pm
Location: in the taco truck line

Post by ThunderFaceWizardHead » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:11 pm

On the album sleeve of the soundtrack it tells you where and what each song was recorded on. Unfortunately my CD is 200 miles away in a storage unit, but I think it ranged from 4-track cassette to 16 track reel to reel.

User avatar
Recycled_Brains
dead but not forgotten
Posts: 2083
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:58 pm
Location: Albany, NY
Contact:

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:52 am

i just recently got into Fugazi (over the last 6 mo. or so), and there literally hasn't been a day gone by where i don't listen to "The Argument" or "In On The Kill Taker". what a fucking amazing band. from a recording standpoint, it's some of the most well documented music out there. i know i need to get into the other records too, but i can't stop listening to the 2 that i have. they should do a reunion tour.

carry on.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

these_go211
pushin' record
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: san jose, ca

Post by these_go211 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:51 pm

i watched this dvd when it first came out and was blown away. that weekend i went out and bought their first 4 releases!
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

stinkpot
pushin' record
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:18 pm

Post by stinkpot » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:13 pm

Instrument is an amazing film. Jem Cohen did a fantastic job shooting, editing, etc. Quite the document of one of the most amazing bands ever.

Everyone who's ever been in a band needs to watch it.

If I remember correctly, the soundtrack is a collection of demos, outtakes, audio sketches etc. It's all great stuff!

User avatar
Leopold
buyin' a studio
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 8:51 am
Contact:

Post by Leopold » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:15 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote: they should do a reunion tour.

carry on.

-ryan
I don't think they actually broke up as opposed to are on hiatus, raising kids, family and doing other projects let alone running a record label. I wouldn't be surprised if next week they announce a new record or tour, Keep your fingers crossed. Ian is also doing The Evens now.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Bernardo
audio school
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:45 am
Contact:

Post by Bernardo » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:26 pm

From all accounts it's very, very unlikely that we'll hear anything new from Fugazi anytime soon, if at all.

Recycled_Brains, get End Hits next.

User avatar
Isolation
steve albini likes it
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:21 am
Location: Boremont

Post by Isolation » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:19 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:i just recently got into Fugazi (over the last 6 mo. or so), and there literally hasn't been a day gone by where i don't listen to "The Argument" or "In On The Kill Taker". what a fucking amazing band. from a recording standpoint, it's some of the most well documented music out there. i know i need to get into the other records too, but i can't stop listening to the 2 that i have. they should do a reunion tour.

carry on.

-ryan
you should pick up the Minor Threat discography...i just picked it up recently and it's great stuff...you can see where Fugazi got it from...more specifically Mackaye...great all around punk album too...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

User avatar
darjama
tinnitus
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:11 pm
Location: East SF Bay

Post by darjama » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:04 am

I'd also suggest picking up rites of spring, Guy's band before fugazi.

We recorded at inner ear last spring, and popped in the instrument vhs tape while our singer was tracking vocals. Fun to see the footage of ian and guy mixing in the same studio we were using. at the same time, they were working on remastering the rites of spring next door in the silver sonya suite. As someone who grew up on this stuff, it was very cool.

But everything I've heard seems to point to Fugazi not working together anytime in the near future. :(

User avatar
Isolation
steve albini likes it
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:21 am
Location: Boremont

Post by Isolation » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:04 pm

darjama wrote:I'd also suggest picking up rites of spring, Guy's band before fugazi.

We recorded at inner ear last spring, and popped in the instrument vhs tape while our singer was tracking vocals. Fun to see the footage of ian and guy mixing in the same studio we were using. at the same time, they were working on remastering the rites of spring next door in the silver sonya suite. As someone who grew up on this stuff, it was very cool.

But everything I've heard seems to point to Fugazi not working together anytime in the near future. :(
i never found the Rites Of Spring album...i know they were influential in the emo direction...good call on this band though i've never heard them...but how bad could it be ya' know?
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests