new shins

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

these_go211
pushin' record

new shins

Post by these_go211 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:46 am

great stuff. i haven't listened to the whole thing yet but what i've heard so far is really good. i love the variety of bass tones used over the first 4 or 5 songs. interesting synth and keyboards too. good production. dig it!
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:06 am

I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this one. I really like the Shins. I listen to their first 2 cd's a lot. This one just hasn't done it for me yet. I'll keep trying, but the first 2 really grabbed me right away, this one doesn't. I'm kind of disappointed. Maybe I just need to listen to it more.

LifeGoesOff
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by LifeGoesOff » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:22 am

the first song is so good! I really like this record...some great sounds!

terryb
pushin' record

Post by terryb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:31 am

The production IS amazing...but I'm still not really feeling the songs like I did in the past 2 releases. However, I am liking it more now than I did the first 4 or 5 times I heard it.
I still think Chutes Too Narrow is the Shins at their best.

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:50 pm

I'm looking forward to the Itunes Exclusive that'll be coming out. 6 songs from the new record, all tracked live in one room. A buddy of mine did it, and it should be great.

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:18 am

i like the new one a lot but my fav is 'oh, inverted world' still. the first time i heard that it was like hearing a new form of music. the lo-fi production combined with his voice, the arrangements, and the mood had me latching on to that immediately. chutes too narrow is good but i haven't dug it like the first one. the new one is impressive though.

that itunes exclusive sounds GREAT!

Nineteen Billion
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Nineteen Billion » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:47 pm

In the spirit of good art requiring a "getting lost" and exploratory mindset, I've been doing the same thing with this new album as I did with Outkast's new stuff: let them take me on a ride. Maybe they've learned something great and cool since the last disc. I say this, because I was a bit upset that the new Shins didn't blow me out of the water on the first listen.

What has been the result? Several months later, I'm still listening to it consistently without the fatigue and boredom that eventually creeps up on albums that absolutely astonish me initially. I hope it gets better for the naysayers!

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:30 pm

I like the new cd a lot. I get the feeling that they are given a lot of freedom to do what they want, as opposed to having a producer trying to make everything radio friendly. There is that one track right in the middle that has electronic drums, which is very different. I like the departure.

It is an album that I can happily put next to the other two (unlike ?stand up? by DMB, which does not hang out with the other Dave Cd?s on the shelf).

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:50 am

My beef is that the mixes bury the vocals. I can't understand the f-ing lyrics. I just don't get them. They're like too safe but trying to be cool at the same time.

Regular Guy
gettin' sounds

Post by Regular Guy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:55 am

This album was a huge letdown for me. The production is ultra glossy and the songs just aren't there in the way they used to be. They took everything that was great on the earlier records and sorta just threw it out the window. Might as well be a Death Cab for Cutie album or something.

JoshT
pluggin' in mics

Post by JoshT » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:32 pm

Wow, I really would never call this album glossy, also, I really don't think the vocals are buried at all. I think the production is really really good, the record sounds nice, that doesn't mean it sounds glossy, it sounds much thicker and more organic than the last two (both of which, while having really good songs, didn't really blow me away with production).

Also, I agree that this album takes a bit of listening, after living with it for a while, I really like it, the songs are almost all very good.

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:57 pm

the vocals don't sound buried to me either. and i usually don't have the slightest clue as to what the heck james is actually singing about. but i love it so!

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:51 pm

do any of his lyrics make sense? i never could quite pin it down on any of their records. none the less, i truly love the music.

one thing i think is great ... the previous albums toyed with a 60's sound. this one (swear to god it must be intentional) takes from so many 80's melodies. i hate the 80's in general, but they do it so well i find myself having happy memories of the period. i'm not even sure which songs it reminds me of.

i'm talking about:
Phantom Limb @ :51, 1:00, 2:02
Sea Legs @ 1:32
Split Needles - the first few verses remind me of the Police or something.

and am i hearing gated verb on the snare on Turn On Me?
Bipolar Production

slowexplosion
audio school

Post by slowexplosion » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:42 am

'oh inverted world' was really a great album..
great songs+great production=great album

shutes to narrow had a few great songs but, it seems like the bigger the budget.the more time there is to suck the life out of the music
i have to agree with 'regular guy' that they are now in 'death cab' territory..

it reminds me of that Onion article about 'Matchbox 20 almost finished watering down new album'
anvils keep fallin' on my head</br>

<a href="www.myspace.com/lemonsarelouder>myspace ... elouder</a>

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:31 am

anyone have any idea what they did to his vocals to get that sound? its far more processed than the other 2 albums...is it just lots of compression, double (triple?) tracking it, other processing...it sounds so much more synthetic than usual..