Self - Gizmodgery the all toy album

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:37 pm

http://www.selfies.com/media/

Guilt-free Internet-only releases by Matt & Co.

Have fun, kids!

MechaGodzilla
gettin' sounds

Post by MechaGodzilla » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:56 pm

Oh man, I love this record so much. It's much more than a novelty record... it's a bunch of great songs with a bunch of weird sounds.

I had a copy, but it got jacked out of my car a few weeks ago. Oh well, at least I still have Mp3's of it...

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:32 pm

wow, I'm gonna have to check this out. When I was 12 and my sister was 16 and she'd drive us between our parents houses we listened to the first Self record a bunch in the car. I haven't thought about that band in 8 years.

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:13 am

if you like his stuff you should check out Toychestra...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

agauchede
gettin' sounds

Post by agauchede » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:35 pm

I'm so psyched to know that Matt is playing with Beck - I've been a fan for a long time, and was bummed to know that he's been having such a hard time getting the last album out.

-C

back_to_analog
audio school

Post by back_to_analog » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:49 am

I've met Matt a handful of times, he's a good friend of a good friend. I visited his house in murfreesboro a few times where he recorded gizmodgery in his basement...if i remember correctly he had three different finished rooms, one a hard wood room, an iso room i think, and gear everywhere.

The guy is nothing short of a legend in the Nashville area. I think he actually went to MTSU's recording program before dropping out to do Self full time. 9 years or so ago everyone thought Self was gonna be huge, and they had some success, signed to dreamworks i think before the typical major label story unfolded. More than anything I remember Self being an amazing live band in addition to their gorgeously crafted records.

So yeah now Matt is in l.a. and i know for a while he was kind of a go-to producer for A&R reps needing demos and such for new artists that labels are considering signing. I think he's produced some records for indie artists, can't remember which ones. The catchy "Expedia....DOT COMMMMMM" tag was him. And now he's Beck's multi-instrumentalist! I definitely recommend tracking down those Self albums especially 'Subliminal Plastic Motives', 'Breakfast with Girls', and 'Gizmodgery'. All of us back in Tennesse are quite proud of Matt, he's a fantastic guy and one of the most talented musicians you'll ever meet.