Joe Meek... JEEEEEEZE!!!!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cgarges
zen recordist

Joe Meek... JEEEEEEZE!!!!

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:35 am

So, I'm a little embarrased to admit this, but aside from "Telstar," I'd never really heard much Joe Meek until last night. When I was at Amoeba records in San Fran they had an entire Joe Meek section (how cool is that?) and I picked up a two-disc compilation.

Holy crap! This guy did most of that stuff in an apartment?!?!?!? This stuff is absolutely amazing! And not only is the engineering super-entertaining, but the bands were good, too. So much later music makes so much more sense to me now.

Where have I been?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

DGoody
gettin' sounds

Post by DGoody » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:47 am

Man, I went throught the same thing a couple years ago, then a friend got me this Joe Meek book and compilation.... the Barry Cleveland one...... I became a MONSTROUS fan after that.......

Total genius....... total genius. And, he really gets no due respect anymore.....

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:49 am

It's interesting to me the common threads that pop up, musically. I love all the western-themed stuff.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:03 am

I knew very little about Joe Meek until recently as well. Went to see a $2 movie that was a made-for-tv story called "The Legendary Joe Meek". It was a look behind his life and his work, and it blew me away. It amazes me how frequently some amazing bit of information can lie dormant and undiscovered by one's radar. There is another documentary made by Howard Berger, and that is called "Something I've Got To Tell You: A Life In the Death of Joe Meek". Haven't seen it.

Here's some info: http://www.myspace.com/meekmovie
Last edited by earth tones on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

joe meek

Post by vibesof20hz » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:44 pm

I got this book this past summer, it comes with a CD that gets explained track by track in the book. There is a very detailed description of his recording techniques, description of his apartment studio and so on. You really should check it out if you are a fan. When he was a kid he experimented a whole lot in a shed... he put speakers outside of the shed that played bird sounds in the family garden to attract more birds. Lots of odd things like that.

anyway, check it out.

http://www.barrycleveland.com/joemeek.htm

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:02 pm

I definitely need to get the book. Mitch Easter just loaned me a bunch more of his stuff and a BBC documentary on him that's supposed to be really great. Can't wait to check it out. Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

Any further discussion of this genius is welcomed.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:09 pm

Barry Cleveland has the deal of the day. The book and a cd copy of I Hear A New World for $15.99 shipped! I was looking for a copy of that album anyways. Thanks for that link, vibesof20hz.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:10 am

There's a snippet of Meek film here...

And a lot more Meek YouTubage here...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:38 pm

I watched the BBC documentary this morning. Wow. It's pretty great. There's a lot of it on You Tube as well. That seance thing with the cat is pretty out.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Immanuel
ass engineer

Post by Immanuel » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:02 am

tonewoods wrote:There's a snippet of Meek film here
Can anyone tell me something about the song coming in around 2:11? I would love to hear more of it.

echohead
audio school

Joe Meek Book

Post by echohead » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:01 pm

earth tones wrote:Barry Cleveland has the deal of the day. The book and a cd copy of I Hear A New World for $15.99 shipped! I was looking for a copy of that album anyways. Thanks for that link, vibesof20hz.
Thanks for mentioning my book, and yes, it is an excellent deal. I bought up all remaining stock from MixBooks at a good price, and I'm just spreading the love around. BTW, there is a fantastic feature-length documentary film being made on Meek, which should be released this year some time, so keep an eye out for it.

gotpop
pluggin' in mics

Post by gotpop » Thu May 24, 2007 12:02 am

I'll have to get myself a copy of your book, sir. Haven't heard much Meek, but I've read a bit about the man and I have heard Telstar. Greatness and tragety all rolled into one.

P.S.--Great to see someone from Redwood City wrote this! I'm actually living in Woodside!

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 am

"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu May 24, 2007 9:00 am

There's always this: http://www.archive.org/details/csr037 or the bare ftp version at ftp://ia300128.us.archive.org/1/items/csr037

It's a bunch of Joe Meek demos. Somebody here recommended these last winter. I heard them without any prior knowledge of Joe Meek and they did quite a number on my jaded ears. Cracking good stuff, this.

Last edited by ;ivlunsdystf on Thu May 24, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gotpop
pluggin' in mics

Post by gotpop » Thu May 24, 2007 11:06 am

The http version sas it's been deleted, but the ftp site still has it.