still cutting my teeth / help with a mix...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

still cutting my teeth / help with a mix...

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 am

hi TOMB'ers,

please help my mediocre ass with this mix. granted, most of this issues are probably with the recorded sounds (uh, by me). i've since been able to record much better sounding stuff after getting an e602 for the kick, learning from my sucky recordings, and by treating my rooms more. or, i think they sound better. anyway...

my take:
the midrange management is all outta whack. the bass is supposed to be stinson-esque, but i can't get the guitars to sit right with the bass, and they're a little too quiet at the moment too i think. i high passed 'em, but if i bring it up any further, the gtr's get a little harsh/thin. both gtr's are single coil, and pretty distorted, so they're already all compressed sounding. i dunno....

anyway, there's probably plenty more you guys will have to offer me on this tune , and i'm happy to hear it. trying to get better.

please give me suggestions, & share wisdom. help!
jon

Burn This Place

EDIT: i tracked and will be mixing this stuff for my pal, but he needs the mixes soon, so any quick help is appreciated!

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:17 am

help! :)

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:32 am

Hi Jon,

I think it sounds really good. I'm listening on earbuds at the moment, so take it with a grain of salt.

I hear a couple of things: I think the bass is too low, not the guitars. The guitars sound really good to me. Maybe a bit of complimentary EQ between the bass and the guitars, and a slight level boost in the bass?

Also, I think the midrange stuff you are hearing is the vocal track. Sounds almost too telephone-y or something, though stylistically I can see why you did that.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:39 am

I agree about liking the sound of the guitars, but I actually wanna hear more guitars AND bass, which I think might blend better with the drive of the drums and the vocals. Of course, it could also be my crappy computer speakers here at work, but that's my 2 cents.
Cool song, btw.

stevebozz
gettin' sounds

Post by stevebozz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:51 am

definitely more guitar and bass. may a little delay or reverb to make it a tad less dry. i like how the vocals sound.
Steve

-- Chief City Recordings | www.chiefcity.com
-- BOZZmedia | www.bozz1.com

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:44 pm

thanks for the input guys. i do appreciate it. sometimes a guy needs perspective.

jwl - telephone-y effect was the artist's call, but i should screw with it to see how it's affecting the rets o' the mix.

i will tweak the gtr/ bass levels and reasses!

cheers guys, i do appreciate it. more ideas welcomed too, btw...

cheers,
jon

nathanoliver
audio school graduate

Post by nathanoliver » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:17 pm

in terms of the song/songwriting...seems kind of one-dimensional, but it's not really my style, so i dunno if i am the best person to ask..

in terms of the mix...the whole mix seems overpowered by the drums. guitars especially seem low, and i disagree, i don't particularly like the guitar tone/EQ. it seems kind of curbed and weak to me. i do like the bass tone but it's low in the mix.

my $0.02 :)