40 years ago - YOW

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

40 years ago - YOW

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:39 am

Hey, been away awhile. But I got to thinking: It's 40 years since Sargent Pepper's, Are You Experienced?, "Respect", Velvet Underground's first album ... ... ... The list at wikipedia of rock/roll events of 1967 is pretty amazing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_in_music

That's a long time ago. Hence my "yow".

What will we still be listening to from 2007 when we get to 2047?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: 40 years ago - YOW

Post by JGriffin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:57 pm

Tatertot wrote:What will we still be listening to from 2007 when we get to 2047?
The remastered/repackaged 40th anniversary CDs of Sgt. Pepper's, Are You Experienced, Velvet Underground's first...
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

virtualguthrie
ass engineer

Post by virtualguthrie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:16 pm

Radiohead's next record...

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:53 pm

ampguy.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:55 pm

"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:08 pm

Interesting to really think about which contemporary music you'll still be listening to in 40 years. I've gotta think Oldham's Master and Everyone will still hit me hard in 4 decades.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:34 pm

dwlb wrote:
Tatertot wrote:What will we still be listening to from 2007 when we get to 2047?
The remastered/repackaged 40th anniversary CDs of Sgt. Pepper's, Are You Experienced, Velvet Underground's first...
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

PS- There are SO MANY reasons why this is true.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:35 pm

By the way, wait until 2011.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:04 am

Oh, wait, I just realized the answer to my own question: In 40 years maybe we'll finally get to hear the TOMB Abbey Road and Beach Boys compilations!

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:13 am

cgarges wrote:
dwlb wrote:

PS- There are SO MANY reasons why this is true.
Please continue.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:29 am

virtualguthrie wrote:Radiohead's next record...
i sure hope it'll be that good.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:17 pm

lyman wrote:Please continue.
Well, for one thing, major label record companies are doing NOTHING to develop catalog. There's no artist development any more and most bands are lucky to have more than two records available on one label these days. For years, the labels have been able to re-release catalog either in "re-mastered" packages, box sets or compilations, and in new formats. When the labels don't nurture enough long-term interest in their artists to warrant interest in them 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years down the road, that's a substantial part of their income that goes away after time.

Additionally, as far as I know, few-to-no labels are making a sufficient effort to insure the stability of their long term catalog in terms of simple storage. Digital storage mediums go bad after time. That's a fact. Unless someone is constantly ensuring proper storage and consistent backup, many of these files will at some point be unplayable. I don't know of any labels that have "long-term backup procedures" in place.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:27 pm

yup, now i'm getting depressed.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue May 01, 2007 6:13 am

cgarges wrote:
lyman wrote:Please continue.
Well, for one thing, major label record companies are doing NOTHING to develop catalog. There's no artist development any more and most bands are lucky to have more than two records available on one label these days. For years, the labels have been able to re-release catalog either in "re-mastered" packages, box sets or compilations, and in new formats. When the labels don't nurture enough long-term interest in their artists to warrant interest in them 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years down the road, that's a substantial part of their income that goes away after time.

Additionally, as far as I know, few-to-no labels are making a sufficient effort to insure the stability of their long term catalog in terms of simple storage. Digital storage mediums go bad after time. That's a fact. Unless someone is constantly ensuring proper storage and consistent backup, many of these files will at some point be unplayable. I don't know of any labels that have "long-term backup procedures" in place.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
i generally agree with this. however, i will be listening to the 4 track recordings i started earlier this year, which i will be mixing down in 2047.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Tue May 01, 2007 11:31 am

Probably Elliott Smith and Daniel Johnston, yeah Will Oldham. The good shit that was recorded to cassette. They'll be legends.

People will be tired of fidelity in 4047. 4 track cassette recorders will cost $200,000. But hamptone will have a DIY kit for much less.

Belgium will have a stockpile of all the African cassettes they were listening to 40 years ago, and will only sell a certain amount at a time to keep prices high. We'll learn to like tape shed. We'll have a struggle of consience every time we get a used cassette and have to record over some crazy pop music from Mali that will never be heard again.