opinions on this Bowie-esque tune please

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Dave Stanley
pushin' record

opinions on this Bowie-esque tune please

Post by Dave Stanley » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:50 am

Hey gang, here's a fine example of me spending too much time on a mix. I've been told it's rather Bowie-esque, if not accept my apologies.

Anyhoo, the singer is really happy with the way this came out. We pretty much finished the final touches, but I now feel the the kick needs to be louder.... but at the same time feel that it's level suits the song. It just seems to get a little buried in choruses.

Wondering what you all think regarding the kick, or anything else.

Here's the linkage: http://redleafaudio.com/Documents/morning%20page.mp3

As always, much appreciated!
Dave

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:35 am

there's only like 3 seconds of audio at the link

Dave Stanley
pushin' record

Post by Dave Stanley » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:52 am

Hmm, really? The link works for me, and plays the whole song. I'm not sure what to do.....

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:21 pm

It isn't working with my firefox browser, but works with opera. I'll give it a listen.

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:35 pm

It sound good. The vocals get kind of buried when the ehhh's come in, so I might bring those up or take something else down.

Dave Stanley
pushin' record

Post by Dave Stanley » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:27 am

thanks for listening! yeah, I've been struggling with vocals on this one. I may re-visit that part too.

manganeech
alignin' 24-trk

Post by manganeech » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:27 am

Wow! I really like this. Who is the band? Where can I buy the album?
This mix is a bit hard to critique because there is such a strong aesthetic vision. Everything seems deliberately placed and nothing distracts me from the mood. The balance of different instrumental voices play off each other in a distinctive and interesting way. It's a creative mix that stays very accessable. I'm very impressed that you were able to keep it so sparce sounding with so much going on.
I don't hear any kick on my laptop speakers but I don't miss it. The snare has such a nice thwap that it works to feature it without a strong kick. Mistakes I would have probably made mixing this would have been trying to make the bass and kick more dominant, thus muddying things up and losing the edge this mix has. My opinion is not to change a thing. I've now listened through this song eight times and still want to buy the record and hear more.
By the way, I can hear the Bowie, but my strongest hit is Elvis Costello.

Dave Stanley
pushin' record

Post by Dave Stanley » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:28 am

Hey thanks for the comments. No album yet, were working on a few new songs, recording as we go. The band is the Daves, www.thedaves.net. There are some live songs over there if you'd like to check out.

Jack Ruby's Alibi
audio school

Post by Jack Ruby's Alibi » Sat May 26, 2007 8:34 am

I agree with Manganeech. Definitely Elvis Costello, both your voice and the musical style, which is a very good thing! You made a five minute song seem like 3:30 and that's a tough thing to do! Good work. Keep going!

lukievan
takin' a dinner break

yeah...

Post by lukievan » Sun May 27, 2007 8:13 am

Great tune. I don't hear much Bowie except in some of the vocal inflections.
Maybe a bit of the Replacements 'Swingin' Party' harmonic structure, just to get geeky. Kick is good. Where's the guitar solo?

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Tue May 29, 2007 12:12 pm

manganeech wrote: By the way, I can hear the Bowie, but my strongest hit is Elvis Costello.
I Agree... Sounds like Bowie trying to sing like Costello!
- Brad

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Tue May 29, 2007 12:17 pm

manganeech wrote: By the way, I can hear the Bowie, but my strongest hit is Elvis Costello.
I Agree... Sounds like Bowie trying to sing like Costello!
- Brad

tony moore
pushin' record

Post by tony moore » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:14 pm

absolutely dig it! everything sounds great to me. great tune, and performed, recorded and mixed in a perfect way for the tune.

i'm jealous :-)

tony

Dave Stanley
pushin' record

Post by Dave Stanley » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:44 am

Geez! Thanks! I gotta admit, I had ALOT of time to mix this thing, and let it rest once in a while (for a couple of weeks) and tweak here and there. The luxury of a non-comercial studio with unlimmited free time.
I wanted to post the tune to check and see if I was "done"... Singer and I thought we were done, but wanted to check with yall first. So, again thanks so much for the feedback.

I'll have a couple more tunes in the next coupla months from the same singer, totally different vibe on the new songs though.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:57 pm

Great production. I dig the percussion and the snap in the guitars. Good work man.