Music you *used* to be into?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

C_R_J
steve albini likes it

DMB

Post by C_R_J » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:11 pm

funny you should mention dave matthews band. they werent too bad at one time. i saw them live on the before these crowded streets tour. all the songs were jammed out and wierd and like 10 minutes longer, and more crazy, and dave matthews barely spoke the whole show... it was interesting to say the least...

these days though.... fuck.... i dont know man....
time is money and im wasting both...

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:56 pm

Led Zeppelin. Man I thought they were great when I was 14. Then I heard The Cramps and the Ramones, and that ended. Funny, though, I still kept listening to Pink Floyd.

I too thought the Flecktones were pretty good for a while. Then I saw them live and by midway through the second set I was waiting for it to end. I really haven't been able to listen to them since.

A lot of heavy metal. Thrash metal, to be more specific. Lots of bad thrash bands: Testament, Coroner, Exodus, Sepultura, Queensryche, etc. etc. You name it, I probably bought it. In 1994, I traded a big stack of metal CDs for eight or nine albums by The Residents and never looked back. I still like Voivod, though. And Napalm Death.

Man, I still like the Descendents.

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:11 pm

Metallica

Especially the Black album. I listened to it the other day and was all excited to check out its awesome production. It sounded very dated and cliche all the way through. I didn't even finish it. zzzzzzzzz

It's funny how they were so giant, and now so meh.

Tiny Music rocked- I listened to that one a million times. I think the guitar arrangements were as genius as Jimmy Page.

bed eternity
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bed eternity » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:32 pm

kris kross

bed eternity
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bed eternity » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:34 pm

oh yea and sublime

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:17 pm

John Denver. . . ouch. It even hurts to admit it, but that was when I was 11. Oh yeah, REO Speedwagon and Foreigner when I was 12. Then luckily, 1978 happened and I heard DEVO "Are We Not Men" and I realized that music could actually do something besides put your brain to sleep.

There was a period in there after REO and Foreigner when I thought Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Yes were good, then it seemed that the Punk rock stuff precluded that so I decided to hate them, now I see how silly that was. I wish I could have been strong enough to see there was value in all of it.

Funny thing though, through all of this Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Hank Williams, Lefty, John Prine etc. were always on my list of good music. If anyone gave me grief on it I would play them either "Fist City" or "Folsom Prison Blues" and they would shut up.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

high five
gettin' sounds

Post by high five » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:49 am

Almost forgot until I just heard it playing: Sleater-Kinney. I guess cause I really liked Quasi, I wanted to like anything related to Quasi... but I can't stand to hear Corin Tucker's dying goat scream even once more. Why did I buy more albums after the first one?

Oh yeah, all the Kinks albums since Arthur (esp the stuff on Arista) were full of such terrible garbage I just kept waiting for them to snap out of it. I don't think they ever did and Ray Davies's solo albums were barely mediocre. Yet I keep searching for more... surely to regret it!

Did someone say Red Hot Chili Peppers? I had all their albums and scoured the internet for all the b-sides and promos, like every note was gold. Worse, I dragged a bunch of friends in with my enthusiasm. But I started to hate them when I noticed that Anthony Kiedis cannot sing, or write... they just keep him in because he never wears a shirt. Now I suffer because I have been practically defined by my fanatacism, and my friends are always bringing them up in conversation. I am too proud to inform them that I actually hate them now. At least I know a few people who might like all these stupid posters I've collected.

nathanoliver
audio school graduate

Post by nathanoliver » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:22 am

I used to be completely obsessed with Nirvana. Bootlegs, stickers, vinyl, internet forums, recording covers, buying Small Clones....man i used to be angry!

After the Nirvana phase bit it, i was into the Foo Fighters briefly when The Colour and the Shape came out...had a biiiig falling out with them. If there was an album of Dave Grohl farting on a snare drum, i probably would have bought it. :D

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:55 am

actually, i think i have that one somewhere...
Village Idiot.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:32 am

man, i can't believe Primus was mentioned with such disdain. and Alice In Chains. oh well, different strokes i guess..

for me....

definately Metallica. the only reason i'll listen to them now is to make fun of Hetfield's "heeeeyyyyyaaaaa's" and "whooooo's" and "yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh's". and of course Lars' terrible drumming. "just hit that kick on 1 and 3 every time and it will be soooo heavy!"

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

leftofthedial
pushin' record

Post by leftofthedial » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:01 am

Sadly, I used to think (before I developed any congnative ability) that Ozzy was the shit! But that was 25 years ago. Then I liked the smiths, but then I got laid.
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:20 am

This is a funny thread!

I think if you have a whole list here you should ask yourself..."am I a big trend chasing poser?"

I've been on the other side of the coin before... I remember the first time I heard the Beastie Boys(the one with the Zep sample) I thought it was the worst crap I had ever heard. I even ripped the tape out and threw it out the window... To this day though Check Your Head is one of my favorite albums.

I also could not stand Nirvana,but after the Unplugged album I thought "wow this is a really good band".

I really like Wolfmother though..... I'm pretty sure that in a couple of years that might be a bit shameful???

Harry

Bedfordstop
studio intern

Post by Bedfordstop » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:52 am

leftofthedial wrote: I liked the smiths, but then I got laid.
Funny, I have listened to the Queen is Dead at least once a week for 12 years straight and i still love every single miserable second of it.

..but I've been hearing about this whole "laid" thing...what's it like, anyway?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:15 pm

Bedfordstop wrote:
leftofthedial wrote: I liked the smiths, but then I got laid.
Funny, I have listened to the Queen is Dead at least once a week for 12 years straight and i still love every single miserable second of it.

..but I've been hearing about this whole "laid" thing...what's it like, anyway?
a bit wet, if you're doing it right.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:36 pm

Aerosmith, especially through, maybe, Draw the Line.

But now my 10 year old daughter likes them...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.