Music you *used* to be into?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:05 pm

lyle76 wrote:queensryche.

shit.

fuck.
when Rage For Order came out i thought "cool, a concept album about OCD!"

too bad i was wrong.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:58 pm

i like that record.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:19 pm

Been re-listening to OMD lately. The records up through about Crush are pretty listenable, but maybe thats nostalgia talking.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:27 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i like that record.
i like The Wall.

(actually, i have no opinion whatsoever about RFO, i just thought it was gonna be an album about OCD.)
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:00 pm

NewAndImprov wrote:So much stuff. So many wrong decisions over the years...

In high school, in the '70's, I was the total prog nerd/fusion nerd. Everyone I knew was listening to Zep & Sab and getting laid, I was holed up with my Gentle Giant and Return to Forever albums and feeling SOOO musically superior (and, needless to say, getting none). For me, Gentle Giant was the most prog of all the prog bands. Sort of the Dream Theater of the day, only British and painfully art school. I picked up a live DVD of theirs recently, for old times sake, and BLEAH. I mean, the playing ability is there, but the performance is so stagy and self-conscious that it makes me realize that punk was necessary.

Return to Forever too. A lot of the early fusion era stuff still holds up for me, Miles of course, a lot of Weather Report (not Birdland, though, ick), Mahavishnu, Headhunters, but RTF, man, that just shouldn't have happened. Their only saving grace was that Stanley Clarke and Lenny White could play a groove, for the 12.5 seconds/tune they were allowed to by Corea's overly florid tunes. I recently found a bootleg DVD of a PBS TV series called Sounstage that had a 1973 episode featuring RTF and the Headhunters. Headhunters looked stoned out of their minds and brought the FUNK, playing their asses off and still looking cool about it. RTF, especially Corea and DiMeola, looked like nerds. Sad nerds, not cool nerds.
I have four words for you:
Chick. Corea. Elektric. Band.
Prog out with your cog out.

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:40 am

i've really never been that fickle. i mean there's discs that i used to own by some really disposable 90's 'alternative' bands (soul asylum, spin doctors, that sorta stuff) that i wouldn't usually admit to, but i think out of everything i've ever been into, i could probably still enjoy it on one level or another.

now, buying records that i thought would be good, then realizing how terrible they were upon listening... that's a different story.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:32 pm

start a new thread!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:43 pm

i probly mentioned this earlier, but i still feel the urge to self-flagellate.

Stone Temple Pilots

:(

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:34 pm

RefD wrote:i probly mentioned this earlier, but i still feel the urge to self-flagellate.

Stone Temple Pilots

I remember thinking plush was a great song. I borrowed the record from a pal and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. terrible buttrock with orange hair.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:37 pm

syrupcore wrote:
RefD wrote:i probly mentioned this earlier, but i still feel the urge to self-flagellate.

Stone Temple Pilots

I remember thinking plush was a great song. I borrowed the record from a pal and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. terrible buttrock with orange hair.
i still like their third album "Tiny Music".

it's like they accidentally did a good album.

their subsequent output went back into the crap spiral, tho.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:14 pm

STP is back with a vengeance FYI
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:17 pm

kentothink wrote:STP is back with a vengeance FYI
i dunno if this is good or bad.

fatcatholic
audio school graduate

Post by fatcatholic » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:12 pm

Wow, you guys hate a lot of the music I really like. STP, Alice in Chains, these I can forgive. But why all the venom towards RHCP? Those guys are my favorite dysfunctional musical family. And for the record, I think Stadium Arcadium is brilliant.

The one band I used to like that just defies explanation is Creed. I bought all three of their albums. Why? I DON'T KNOW. Every time a song by Creed or Nickelback or Staind or Trapt or Fuckd or whatever other shitty faux metal band comes on the radio, it just makes me cringe.

brainfreezebob
gettin' sounds

Post by brainfreezebob » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:45 pm

I don't end up hating much of the music I was once into (save for, maybe, some of the completely boring punk rock/hardcore I obsessively collected as a teen), but I do usually end up not being interested in hearing records I've loved to death. Part of it, I think, is that after falling under the sway of someone's music, I feel an urge to declare my independence after a while, as a musician more than a listener.

It's kind of sad, actually. Now that I've ditched all my idols, I don't really fall in love with music the same way I did when I was younger. I enjoy it. If it's great, it moves me, but I never have the kinds of intense obsessions I had when I bought The Soft Bulletin, Bee Thousand, or Kid A, or Revolver. I guess it's part of the general numbness of adulthood (as compared to the overwhelming intensity of adolescence).

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:51 pm

lancebug wrote:Been re-listening to OMD lately. The records up through about Crush are pretty listenable, but maybe thats nostalgia talking.
You know...I recently heard 'Dazzle Ships' for the first time in many years and was really enjoying what I heard. There's some nostalgia for sure, but a lot of the 80's music, be it wrapped in questionable production, at least seems oddly....sincere, for some reason.

I was watching Donnie Darko again recently and was really struck by how great the 80's tunes seemed. Cranked up on my big HT system and brilliantly framed by the film around it...there's even some 'wow' moments. To think that the normally cringe inducing 'Head over Heels' by Tears for Fears seriously gives me chills in that slo-mo tracking shot. That is just plain genius what he did there. Tears for Fears is a band BTW, which I'll fess up to once being into. I will still stand by 'The Hurting' as a pretty great record for it's time (though I might change my mind if I heard it now), but that next one whatever the $#!% it was called.....ewww man. :schuettel:

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm