Music you *used* to be into?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:55 pm

RefD wrote:
kentothink wrote:STP is back with a vengeance FYI
i dunno if this is good or bad.
I remember hearing a recent STP recording on the radio as I was driving home from work. I remember it mainly because I was amazed at how the kick drum was just slicing through 70mph road noise on a fairly low volume stereo. Seriously, it was almost the only thing you could hear, along with maybe a little vocal.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:32 pm

God, when I was in middle school I thought Blues Traveler was the shit. I heard them a couple of years ago and it's like Yngwie on harmonica with three guys dozing off behind him. I also thought Stone Temple Pilots were amazing (which at times they could be, though not usually). Tiny Music is awesome, Purple is about half-good (how did I not notice all that filler??), Core is TERRIBLE... And so on. For some reason I used to like Boston, Collective Soul, Bad Company, Better than Ezra, god... all kinds of mediocre corporate rock. I even bought the first 2 Creed albums. Okay, forget I said that shit - that totally wasn't me... I was rockin' Schoenberg in the womb!
Love your new bananaskin shoulderpad,
Cody C. Gaisser
www.myspace.com/codygaisser

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:07 pm

Tears for Fears Head Over Heels is a great song and still gets cranked in the car now and again. The 80's gets ragged on, but in my opinoin there is a lot of great music from that era.

My theory is that most bands really only have a couple of good songs per record. I really don't think there are many albums that hold up over time. So even though there are probably some pretty cringe worthy things in my collection there is usually a song or two from the artist that I still like.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:47 pm

I began consciously listening to modern music at age 13 in a cultureless suburban setting with no older siblings to offer guidance. It was 1993. You can see how this turned out very, very badly. Scoop up all the worst mid 90s references made in this thread, I am guilty of all. Except Dave Matthews and Sublime. Even I knew that was fucking awful.

I will say mid-90s shitty music was more interesting in its spread than today. I just don't see a Gregorian chant revival happening now like it did in '94.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:56 pm

weatherbox wrote:I began consciously listening to modern music at age 13 in a cultureless suburban setting with no older siblings to offer guidance. It was 1993. You can see how this turned out very, very badly.
same here except it was 1982 and so-called New Wave.

thankfully, i soon discovered early Pink Floyd and late Beatles and somehow steered myself away from the worst of the time.

i still like Split Enz, tho!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:25 pm

Rolsen wrote:
nathanoliver wrote:
lancebug wrote:I guess I would say Duran Duran, but Rio still fully rocks...Every single time.
i agree :D
I sang 'hungry like the wolf' with a live karaoke band for my then-girlfriend/now-wife. That got me laid that night.
Me too. That was the first album I ever bought (actually got it on cassette).

Still love it.
I'm a bad man!

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:32 pm

Trick Fall wrote: My theory is that most bands really only have a couple of good songs per record. I really don't think there are many albums that hold up over time. So even though there are probably some pretty cringe worthy things in my collection there is usually a song or two from the artist that I still like.
<b>???????????</b>

WHAT DO YOU LISTEN TO???
Love your new bananaskin shoulderpad,
Cody C. Gaisser
www.myspace.com/codygaisser

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:23 pm

AnalogousGumdropDecoder wrote:
Trick Fall wrote: My theory is that most bands really only have a couple of good songs per record. I really don't think there are many albums that hold up over time. So even though there are probably some pretty cringe worthy things in my collection there is usually a song or two from the artist that I still like.
<b>???????????</b>

WHAT DO YOU LISTEN TO???

A fairly wide variety of stuff. Some all time favorites would be Blondie, The Ramones, New Order, Blur, Oasis, Sonic Youth,The Rolling Stones, Saint Etienne, Velvet Underground... some current faves are Spoon, 1990's, Bat for Lashes, Queens of the Stoneage, Mickey Avalon. I buy a couple of cd's a month and am more of a "pop" singles kind of guy than an album rock guy. I do not own any records by the Beatles or Led Zeppelin and can't remember the last time I put on a Pink Floyd record.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:53 pm

Trick Fall wrote:
<b>???????????</b>

WHAT DO YOU LISTEN TO???

A fairly wide variety of stuff. Some all time favorites would be Blondie, The Ramones, New Order, Blur, Oasis, Sonic Youth,The Rolling Stones, Saint Etienne, Velvet Underground... some current faves are Spoon, 1990's, Bat for Lashes, Queens of the Stoneage, Mickey Avalon. I buy a couple of cd's a month and am more of a "pop" singles kind of guy than an album rock guy. I do not own any records by the Beatles or Led Zeppelin and can't remember the last time I put on a Pink Floyd record.
I hope you've at least heard the Beatles albums (if not, BUY THEM NOW). Being a fellow Oasis fan, you owe it to yourself to hear the real thing.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:56 am

curtiswyant wrote:
Trick Fall wrote:
<b>???????????</b>

WHAT DO YOU LISTEN TO???

I hope you've at least heard the Beatles albums (if not, BUY THEM NOW). Being a fellow Oasis fan, you owe it to yourself to hear the real thing.
I had a box set of all their albums on vynyl when I was a kid

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed May 07, 2008 6:48 pm

I was into screamo stuff like Thrice, Thursday, Taking Back Sunday, Juliana Theory for a bit in high school, then I was into Revelation Records' heavier stuff, but I also liked stuff like Wilco, Dismemberment Plan, Pavement, and others, and slowly just leaned towards alternative country and indie rock these days. I also have a new found love for power pop like Sloan, The Sneakers/The db's and psychedelic stuff like The Stems and Roky Erikson.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Thu May 08, 2008 5:52 am

I still maintain that Right Said Fred's "Up" is one of the best albums of 1992.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Wed May 21, 2008 11:16 am

and prince...

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Wed May 21, 2008 1:02 pm

mikeyc wrote:I still maintain that Right Said Fred's "Up" is one of the best albums of 1992.
My wife loves that record and I actually saw them at The Palladium in NY and thought it was a totally fun show/

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Thu May 22, 2008 6:05 am

Trick Fall wrote:
mikeyc wrote:I still maintain that Right Said Fred's "Up" is one of the best albums of 1992.
My wife loves that record and I actually saw them at The Palladium in NY and thought it was a totally fun show/
At one point, I owned 2 copies. Don't ask.