Music you *used* to be into?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:41 pm

anthony kiedis is not the bee's knees, but frusciante and to some extent flea are great

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:09 pm

I too used to be all about ALL/Descendents. I still am to a certain extent, for the retroactive emotions if nothing else.

I am also kind of into the enya 'sound', I am a total fem though, and Cocteau Twins are my favorite band.

The Smiths are probably my next favorite band ever? And yeah, I've only ever had sex with one girl.

As for music I used to listen to, the first stuff I really got into was Michael Jackson, which still rules. A bunch of pop soul kind of stuff like Prince and Terence Trent D'arby (Symphony or Damn was the jam cd for doing my yardwork as a kid). Which is still pretty good.

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:57 am

Dream Theater.

so sorry. The singer is like the male Celine Dion. The wierd time signatures are cool for a bit, but after the third guitar solo on the keyboard, I lose interest. Plus "Images and Words" gets my vote for worst snare sound ever.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:29 am

Johnny B wrote: A lot of heavy metal. Thrash metal, to be more specific. Lots of bad thrash bands: Testament, Coroner, Exodus, Sepultura, Queensryche, etc. etc.
coroner were absolutely not a bad band. i will admit the singer was a little tough to get past. and yeah i'm being charitable there. the guitar player though...i forget his name but that guy was great. some stellar riffarama on those records.

i grew up on thrash metal. i'm old, i was a teenager when it was first happening. it was exciting. i dug it. those first three metallica records changed my life. corny but true. those guys were conquering heroes for me at the time. and now, they are a source of unending hilarity!....i've watched some kind of monster like 5 times. so, so good.

i've been into so much crappy music it's not even worth getting into. although, as just one example of complete cluelessness, i used to think that jane's 'nothing shocking' sounded really, really awesome. ha.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:53 am

my mom recently asked me to take home a big box of my crap that had been sitting in her basement for years and years, and i went on a little trip down memory lane with some of the cd's i found. among the bands i used to love:

the cult. it is really difficult to reconcile the memories i have of loving sonic temple with how terrible it actually is. how i could simultaneously like this and appetite for destruction (still holds up for me) is baffling. from the formulaic song structures and cheesy tones to the empty native american imagery, this record blows. it is interesting, though, to hear an anal-retentively recorded album from the pre-autotune era: the singing on that record is abysmal. not that i prefer the sound of autotune; it's just odd, like a robot with acne. and not that the rest of their catalog is stellar either. and don't give me that "electric is awesome" line, either. if you think it sounds like ac/dc, you're not an ac/dc fan.

well, i had more, but that was a longer rant than i expected. i'll have to chime in later because this is a fun topic.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:14 pm

crow wrote:it is really difficult to reconcile the memories i have of loving sonic temple with how terrible it actually is. how i could simultaneously like this and appetite for destruction (still holds up for me) is baffling.
GC must cover "Fire Woman," and Alex must sing it. I'm just saying...

sloppy kisses from NH,
J-No

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:01 pm

I'm not really into GC either. They're too handsome and talented. And the lead guitar playing blows my mind so much I can't stand it. Now what I can't wait for is Jon Nolan's 21st-century Doors tribute band. Maybe "The Doors of Repetition"? "Deathray Manzarek"? But I digress.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:02 pm

this is a strange thread, at least for me. there's so much music i've gone through, and while not exactly discarded, but maybe fallen out of love with...but i still have lots of it, because every once in a while i'll pull something out i haven't listened to in a long time and it suddenly seems fresh and alive again (if not slightly embarrassing).

when i was a wee young-un, i remember really liking BOTH yes and black sabbath (this is when 'roundabout' was on the radio, if that places the time for you). also was pretty heavily into led zeppelin (the first 5 albums or so). but having an older sibling whose musical tastes ranged from pretty cool (beatles) to what i considered absolutely horrific (chicago; blood, sweat & tears) meant i'd need to go a bit further afield. some others that were more than passing fancies- the whole 'san francisco sound', that i really missed being a bit too young, really fascinated me. probably had a lot to do with the relatively high quality of psychedelics that were still available on the street in the early '70's. pink floyd...i recall liking elton john, before he got fat & too silly. cat stevens. badfinger. sensitive white boy overproduced pop. was in love with joni mitchell. byrds/buffalo springfield/CSNY (still some good stuff there). then i discovered punk & new wave, electronic music, the "avant garde"...and these pop excursions faded into the background, although there were certainly some more experimental sides to the sixties stuff i'd been listening to that tied that together.

more recently, i recall having been quite into michael brook, but now can hardly listen to much of his stuff. william orbit, same thing (too processed, like cheese spread). dead can dance, cocteau twins (alright, i still like them), les negresses vertes, the cure, waterboys, the human league, OMD, big country, 2-tone (selecter, madness, specials, etc.- i still enjoy some of these, but would be too embarrassed maybe to be caught listening to them now)...

as an example of stuff i used to listen to that i recently 'rediscovered': young marble giants. still sounds great after 25 years. afrobeat stuff, magazine, flying lizards, tuxedomoon. so much more...

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:44 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Johnny B wrote: A lot of heavy metal. Thrash metal, to be more specific. Lots of bad thrash bands: Testament, Coroner, Exodus, Sepultura, Queensryche, etc. etc.
coroner were absolutely not a bad band. i will admit the singer was a little tough to get past. and yeah i'm being charitable there. the guitar player though...i forget his name but that guy was great. some stellar riffarama on those records.

i grew up on thrash metal. i'm old, i was a teenager when it was first happening. it was exciting. i dug it. those first three metallica records changed my life. corny but true. those guys were conquering heroes for me at the time. and now, they are a source of unending hilarity!....i've watched some kind of monster like 5 times. so, so good.
Really, that was best of the "worst." The really bad bands I can't even remember. And I look at that list of bands and there's something I still like about what all of those bands did, although I'm not much for the total package. With the exception of Queensryche, all of those bands had some killer riffs. I still like Alex Skolnick's guitar playing. That was the one thing that I think set them apart from the rest of the crop at that time. Exodus and Sepultura were both good for putting a couple of brilliant songs on an otherwise forgettable record (say... "Toxic Waltz," "Fabulous Disaster," "Refuse/Resist"). Then there's Queensryche. At least I never liked Dream Theater. :)

I really need to see Some Kind of Monster. It looks hilarious. And, for the record, I still own a copy of Megadeth's Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? and like five or six Anthrax albums.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:00 pm

crow wrote:And the lead guitar playing blows so much I can't stand it.

:wink:

doorz forevah!

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:11 pm

bplr wrote:ben harper - ...?
i actually have a soft spot for ben harper. he was really nice to my wife and i when we got married out in the desert- his grandparents owned the claremont fok music center

http://www.folkmusiccenter.com/

and he was very generous in letting us borrow several priceless instruments at the time. i actually think i heard a new thing of his on the radio a few weeks ago that sounded pretty cool...

plus my dog is named ben.

:D

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:45 pm

bplr wrote:ben harper - ...?
and he's married to laura 'lula' dern. which is also strange because we saw nicholas cage at dinner in two bunch palms a few days before the wedding. after we got married, my wife and i moved into an old house near the beach, directly across the street from kyle maclachlan. chris mulkey (hank jennings in twin peaks) still lives a few doors down, and his daughters used to babysit for us. it all makes sense.

i'm just waiting to encounter the ghost of jack nance.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:59 pm

he's dead?

but not, i hope, wrapped in plastic.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:00 pm

I'm still into all the horrible music that I've ever liked.

With the possible exceptions of Styx, but that was before age 14 so it doesn't really count.

And if I never hear Pink Floyd "the Wall" again, it will be too soon.

Janes Addictions first two albums (live and Nothing's Shocking) still sound great, despite being played into the ground.

Dave Mathews was never good, even before he became the emblem of frat America.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:29 pm

I'm losing my tolerance for volume and my listening stamina, so I don't listen to much industrial anymore.... and other forms of angsty/alienated-sounding stuff, some of which is my favorite.

Unlike the curmudgeon-types, I still like it, I just can't bear it like I used to.

Same for whiskey.

I seek things mellower, like others were doing a decade ago with the electronic evolution, but it still must pass an aesthetic hammer. Canned jazz (that expertly played and produced stuff that sounds like it was created in a factory by sort-of humans) is just not happenin', and probably never will be.