Music you *used* to be into?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

high five
gettin' sounds

Music you *used* to be into?

Post by high five » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:26 am

What bands were you once enamored with but can't stand any longer, and why not? Maybe you were friends with someone who liked a crappy band and you just went along... or you just can't remember what ever made you like Flock of Seagulls in the first place(seriously)?

I used to think Rage Against the Machine was super kick your ass cool, but I started to realize all of their albums were the same. Then I saw a friend with some effects pedals and realized Tom Morello's solos weren't so great. It took 4 years of pressing "Skip" every time a RATM song played in iTunes before I finally reclaimed some disk space and gave away the CDs to my little brother.

Then there was Dave Matthews Band... I can't even explain it to myself. Let's hear yours!

Steve V.
audio school graduate

Post by Steve V. » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:52 am

When I was younger (aka, a few years ago) I blindly loved a number of punk rock and hardcore bands.

I know better now, and few of those records from my "poseur" period are left over.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:55 am

back in my mid-20s i liked STP's music.

there, i said it and i am not proud of it. :oops:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:03 am

I'm no longer as enamored of 80s hair metal as I was in the late 80s.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

high five
gettin' sounds

Post by high five » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:24 am

RefD wrote:back in my mid-20s i liked STP's music.

I used to really like them... but I never used to pay attention to any lyrics, ever. Now I hear "Vaseline" and wonder what the fuck he's blubbering about? Plus, looking at all the rubbish they've probably influenced/inspired (like Nickelback et al) gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

kingnimrod
pushin' record

Post by kingnimrod » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:31 am

Blues Explosion - I used to really be into this band and their ilk (90s garage stuff) but then I met the guys in the band and they seemed to be assholish, and then their music really started to blow. Then Boss Hog made an attempt to be commercial with ultra-shit songs. Now I can't even listen to Pussy Galore any more. But Blues Explosion used to be good. They had some rocking live shows in the first few years of existence.

early Boredoms - just can't compare to what they've evolved into.

the genre of Grunge. well, that's just embarrassing, but at least I didn't wear flannel shirts and cutoff jean shorts over long johns like one of my friends. He either thought he was in Soundgarden or living in the movie SINGLES. In retrospect this genre is more embarrassing and less culturally valid than DISCO.

Jane's Addiction - Perry Farrell's behavior immediately following release of Ritual and since has totally destroyed my desire to listen to them any more

Nine Inch Nails - I prefer the Leonard Cohen brand of nerd over Trent Reznor

Ministry - I'm gonna need to see Al Jourgensen shoot heroin in person right in front of me to buy into his schtick. Rape thru Psalm were pretty good, but what really kicks ass is when VH1 classics play Minstry videos from back when he was a cross between Dead or Alive and Howard Jones. FAKE LIMEY.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I pretended to be into them in high school for the same reason Kirk Douglas did in "Tough Guys." Cause some girl did. This band always blew bigtime. Too bad Hillel Slovak wasn't more of a peer influence with his bad habits.

Primus - remember in the early 90s, all of those humor rock bands. Well, Primus is about half a notch above Gwar and Green Jello. I have to go slam a hammer into my knee for ever buying Seas of Cheese. For some reason I equate Primus with Geddy Lee, because of the horrible singing I think.

Dead Can Dance. You might as well start sewing your velvet cloak in preparation for the Renaissance Fest because that's as close as you're going to get to attending a swap meet of shitty world music and druidic opera. I'd rather listen to Swing Out Sister. I have a good friend who LOVES Swing Out Sister. By the way, there's nothing worse than the late 90's swing/lounge revival.

Weird Al - hey, I was 9. What's Weird Al's excuse?

Shellac - Once I bought power tools I realized I had all of the atonal rhythmic plodding I needed out in the garage. Put that shit directly on ebay.

Godspeed You Black Emperor - I can only listen to it when I don't know I am going to. Just the thought of them annoys me, and their last album was a total snore.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:31 am

I was amazed by the Flecktones, and listened to them daily for quite a long time. More than that, it was like a revolutionary paradigm change.

Now I find them annoying. Jeff Coffin may have helped that annoyance.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:35 am

None. I've always had impeccable taste.

Hey, how did that Mr. Big CD get in there? Must have been an ex-girlfriend's or something, yeah.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:11 pm

You know, I hated the fuckers back then - thought they were re-branded butt-rock. Then I listened to Tiny Music from the Vatican. I believe its their only good album. In fact I think its an incredible album. After that album, they went back to re-branded butt-rock again.

I used to worship All and Descendants.

A few posts up, Dead Can Dance were mentioned. I saw them live - everyone sat down except to stand and clap at the end of every song. Then everyone sat down again. I have to admit, I kind of liked sitting/chilling while watching a band. Guess I'm old now. I don't like DcD anymore either.

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Same here on STP's Tiny Music... that's the only one I still listen to.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Rolsen wrote:

You know, I hated the fuckers back then - thought they were re-branded butt-rock. Then I listened to Tiny Music from the Vatican. I believe its their only good album. In fact I think its an incredible album. After that album, they went back to re-branded butt-rock again.
funny you should say that, cos that's the only album of theirs i've kept.

i can see my 40s two cars ahead of me...i wonder what i'm listening to right now that'll make me go "WTF was i thinking?" in a few years?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:48 pm

Rolsen wrote:Tiny Music
That's an absurdly under-rated album.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

KilledByAlbany
takin' a dinner break

Post by KilledByAlbany » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:49 pm

kingnimrod wrote: Ministry - I'm gonna need to see Al Jourgensen shoot heroin in person right in front of me to buy into his schtick. Rape thru Psalm were pretty good, but what really kicks ass is when VH1 classics play Minstry videos from back when he was a cross between Dead or Alive and Howard Jones. FAKE LIMEY.
With Sympathy! I like to play that record between bands at hardcore shows and bum out all the chest pounders. I guess if you bring up that record now, he just walks out of the interview.

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:04 pm

Rolsen wrote: Then I listened to Tiny Music from the Vatican. I believe its their only good album. In fact I think its an incredible album.
That record was such a brave move for a band in their position in '96. Following up such a big alt-rock hit record with an album full of totally weird little pop songs... must have taken a lot of dedication to what they were trying to do. Or, I suppose, a desire to shed their audience -- but I never pegged them as that kind of band.

btw, STP was my favorite band when I was 14. (the year Tiny Music came out.)

As for the original question: One band I used to love but haven't listened to in years is Led Zeppelin.

--A.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:19 pm

Alice In Chains

*hides under a rock*