Music you *used* to be into?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

andrewfoshee
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewfoshee » Sun May 25, 2008 12:18 am

I don't even remember if I posted on this already ... so I may be reiterating (sp?) here, but definitely PHISH.

I recall a point in time in which I argued the superior musicianship of Trey Anastasio, John Fishman, Mike Gordon and Page McConnell (oh my God I even remember their fucking names!) vs. the likes of Tool. I was in 10th grade, and to this date I can't think of a time at which I have been more wrong.

Flash forward ten years: I can't stand listening to Phish (unless it's something off Billy Breathes or something that resembled one of their half-hearted pop songs) ESPECIALLY when they fucking jam out for thirty-seven minutes in the key of SHUT THE HELL UP!

That being said, I totally dig Tool - especially Aenima.

Sometimes you've just got to grow man ...
I will see you there, or I will see you at another time.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Sun May 25, 2008 12:34 am

Shoegazer. And then Ride made the mistake of printing their lyrics on "Going Blank Again".

MBV have, thankfully, survived the test of time though.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun May 25, 2008 5:31 pm

I used to love phish in about 1993 ... And then I stopped going to the shows when I left new england ... And then I had a long phase of reading about them (interviews, reviews of shows etc) but I couldn't stand to listen to the music for more than about 10' at a time ... And then I was done.

Re billy breathes: I read an interview with lillywhite once where he said he never saw them live or listened to any of their live or studio stuff before he showed up to produce that album. He said after it was in the can he finally stopped by to watch a show. I thought that was pretty unprofessional of him and it prolly helps explain why the record sucks even more than the others.

Look at the trey wikipedia entry sometime - he is in tough shape now with the junk, and parole problems and such. He's pretty handy at the twelve-minute guitar solos though. Poor guy.

pootkao
gettin' sounds

Post by pootkao » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:25 pm

There's a whole pile of mid to late-90's rock scene which in hindsight was ... well, I guess at least it was my formative years or something. Not much there with staying power though.

Our Lady Peace? Live? Bush?
I mean, I was in high school and am therefore given a wider berth of grace and forgiveness, but... really?

And then I discovered the Red House Painters and everything got much better.
"I choose not the suffocating anaesthetic of the suburbs, but the violent jolt of the capital, that is my choice." (Virginia Woolf)

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:52 am

When I was in middle school and early high school I listened to all kinds of shite. Collective Soul, Blues Traveler, Better Than Ezra, Hootie & the Blowfish, Creed, Sevendust, Load-era Metallica, Dave Matthews Band, Widespread Panic. Jeezus.
Love your new bananaskin shoulderpad,
Cody C. Gaisser
www.myspace.com/codygaisser

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:35 pm

I'm going out on a limb, and guess that people are more ashamed of themselves at that age then the music itself.

I get a mini kick out of most of the old stuff I hear, but not enought to listen to more than a song or two from Iron Maiden, Prong, Seaweed, Bad Religion, Helmet.

to some extent, Sonic Youth, as the charming Ellen Paige says in Juno "is all just noise". Part of what made it great was that it stood out. that quality fades through the years like my good looks.

every once in a while, I hear something from years ago, and it is right on. Flaming Lips, fIREHOSE, Drive like Jehu, Fleetwood Mac, Tool.

At one point, Hysteria was my favourite tape, for like a year. Then Appitite for Destruction, then Kingdom Come. I was such a chump. Since then, Living Color Vivid, and I haven't looked back.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:22 pm

Zoltar wrote:Living Color Vivid
about half of that record is great. well, not the production. or corey glover. or will calhoun. ok i've always had a soft spot for vernon reid.
Tatertot wrote: Look at the trey wikipedia entry sometime
that's too bad about the junk.