Music you *used* to be into?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

nathanoliver
audio school graduate

Post by nathanoliver » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:18 pm

Harry wrote:I've been on the other side of the coin before... I remember the first time I heard the Beastie Boys(the one with the Zep sample) I thought it was the worst crap I had ever heard. I even ripped the tape out and threw it out the window... To this day though Check Your Head is one of my favorite albums.
Ha ha i still don't like the beastie boys.

mc437
pushin' record

Post by mc437 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:49 pm

In middle school and high school, I LOVED The Black Crowes. Saw 'em in concert a few times. Ugh...

oudplayer
audio school graduate

Post by oudplayer » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:27 am

Well, lesse.... there was that period we was enamored with prog rock... I still can listen to King Crimson and actually like Il Balletto Di Bronzo (Ys), but all the rest (and I mean ALL) of the math-rock experiments just sound like... well... counting exercises. It strikes me as incredibly boring, just about the last thing I want to feel when listening to music. I still like Primus, though, if they count as prog rock...

I had a short period I had tolerance for new age... now I have none at all - it immediately puts me into a very violent mood and I have to listen to some death metal or tech step to calm down and relax.

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:47 am

Styx -kilroy was here. and i can still sing along with every lyric.??eeehhhhhwwwe??

and interestingly, Uplift Mofo Party Plan has resurfaced STRONGLY in the listeing stack...
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:22 am

Styx, yes definitely Styx. I was 12. That was before I discovered showtunes. I suppose I should also confess to the Kilroy thing. I may have been 14 by then. I guess I would say Duran Duran, but Rio still fully rocks...Every single time.

nathanoliver
audio school graduate

Post by nathanoliver » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:49 pm

lancebug wrote:I guess I would say Duran Duran, but Rio still fully rocks...Every single time.
i agree :D

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:08 pm

nathanoliver wrote:
lancebug wrote:I guess I would say Duran Duran, but Rio still fully rocks...Every single time.
i agree :D
I sang 'hungry like the wolf' with a live karaoke band for my then-girlfriend/now-wife. That got me laid that night.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:32 pm

oudplayer wrote: I had a short period I had tolerance for new age... now I have none at all - it immediately puts me into a very violent mood and I have to listen to some death metal or tech step to calm down and relax.
ahaha!

Chilli Peppers- the music is ok, kinda mediocre but Anthony Kiedis(sp?) is so untalented that it makes the band unlistenable to me. He is a good hype man, I'll give him that but after the hype wares off you start to notic how much he sucks.

Metallica- Maybe their early stuff is ok, but the last 15 years of shitty music and rediculous attitudes cancel their early albums out. Have you seen some kinda monster? Jesus christ... It is better that Spinal Tap because it is real.

311- I cannot stand this band! White dudes fusing cliche reggae, rap, and rock. Ewwww! Horrible music, horrible lyrics just pure bullshit all around.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:02 pm

oudplayer wrote:I still can listen to King Crimson and actually like Il Balletto Di Bronzo (Ys), but all the rest (and I mean ALL) of the math-rock experiments just sound like... well... counting exercises. It strikes me as incredibly boring, just about the last thing I want to feel when listening to music.
Um, which King Crimson? I still like the 80's Crimson a lot - Discipline, etc. The spirit of punk with a lot of weird technical stuff thrown in. I didn't even notice that "Frame by Frame" was all odd-meterish until I saw them live.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:08 pm

Scodiddly wrote:I still like the 80's Crimson a lot - Discipline, etc.
best period of Crimson, imo!

the incarnations since they resurfaced in the 90s do absolutely nothing for me, tho.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:39 am

I used to really be into KISS. I remember trying to impress my 6th grade classmates because I could name all 20 of their releases in consecutive order. Looking back I wish that they stopped at 20. I guess its also not a surprise that I failed biology class.

ub5studio
audio school graduate

Post by ub5studio » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:35 pm

All Nu-Metal.. . . . :oops: :roll:
"Life's a Garden,Get Buried!!"

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:34 pm

this is gonna hurt. the shit i used to listen to is incredibly embarrassing. i'm gonna go ahead and list them chronologically so that it's somewhat apparent that i climbed out of horrific musical tastes at some point.

petra - yeah, i grew up forced to listen to christian music
steve taylor - more musical oppression
bryan adams - "everything i do" sparked the beginning of romance in junior high
celion dion - the beginning of the feminization of my junior high romance, and totally inexcusable
enya - further feminization
spin doctors - i don't know what happened here,m but i remember washing my car and singing "and if you'd, like to talk for hours ..."
toad the wet sprocket - i thought these guys were pretty deep for a minute
pearl jam - the first yarlers i ever got into, though this is less embarrassing than enya
kelly joe phelps - i thought i'd found the blues here
counting crows - now it sounds like they tracked the vocals while he took a shit
dave matthews - now his music makes me want to impale the nearest living thing.
ben harper - ...?
tori amos - at some point you just gotta stop using your audience for therapy

right about here i turned my back on dogmatic religion, and have not since hated anything i once liked. go figure. it stands to reason that jesus makes you like bad music, or perhaps it's just because lucifer was heaven's director of music before getting the boot.

on the other hand, one band i liked back then that i still listen to sometimes is soul coughing. fucking rad rhythm section.

i promise i like good music now. really. like shellac. i swear it...
Bipolar Production

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:56 pm

Man, I used to love TONS of crappy stuff. Then around my 17th year, I just started to "get it", and I started questioning the real value and talent in the shit I had been listening to. I said to myself, "wow, all this stuff just isn't very good."

So here's a brief list:

Counting Crows - Pretty much defined the time spent with my first two girlfriends, in 8th and 9th grade. I thought that since the guy had an English degree from Berkely that he knew what he was talking about.

Phish - I was trying to follow the "technically proficient" thing, and it led me here. eeeewwwwww.

Black Crowes - I went through a major obsession with these guys when I was 15. I thought I had found the best songwriters ever. Now I understand that almost anybody can riff like their guitar player. And that's about all they had going for them.

Type O Negative - I was under the impression that this was edgy, and contained meaning. I was also under the impression that I was edgy and contained meaning. Both of these things turned out to be untrue.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - The beginning and end of the blues - or so I thought. I can't believe this guy. Yeah he can play scales on a guitar real fast, but the songs are just terrible.

Kula Shaker - I do not know what I was thinking. This band is so terrible. They are the pinnacle of everything that is crappy about British music.

So there it is. You all know my dark secrets now.
-jim!

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:10 pm

funny-
I used to love the JAM ...now I think Paul Weller is an unbarable wanker (especially after the style council). I guess I can listen to a few tunes, but it doesn't age well, I really liked them.