Bill Nelson anyone?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Bill Nelson anyone?

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:52 am

Totally TapeOp style records.... I'm listening to Chimera/Savage Gestures for Charms Sake right now... it is a great record(s).... anyone else like BIll Nelson?

John
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:28 am

From age 12 to about 14, Be Bop Deluxe was my favorite band. Started when my Mom went into a record shop in London on vacation, described my musical taste to the clerk (Beatles, blah, blah) and he handed her "Modern Music." In retrospect, "Sunburst Finish" is my fave.

By the time he went solo, Punk rock was calling. Though I did have the first Red Noise LP and dug that.

Man, I gotta get the vinyl out of storage...

mrclean
pushin' record

Yeah...

Post by mrclean » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:57 pm

Haven't thought of him in years..good stuff if memory serves.

I used to listen to Red Noise... "Sound on Sound" and "Quit dreaming..." come to mind...

I think I had them on Cassette!
-- mrclean

Meriphew
deaf.

Re: Bill Nelson anyone?

Post by Meriphew » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:31 pm

toaster3000 wrote:I'm listening to Chimera/Savage Gestures for Charms Sake right now... it is a great record(s).... anyone else like BIll Nelson?
Hell yeah! I bought an Ebow along with my first electric guitar because of Bill Nelson. I also love the work he's done with David Sylvian.

Wonderland
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Wonderland » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:42 pm

"Axe Victim" f*cking RULES.
JupiterFalls @ The Space
JupiterFalls @ The Planet

We are The Musicmakers...
& We are The Dreamers of The Dreams.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:05 am

Wonderland wrote:"Axe Victim" f*cking RULES.
Agreed!! I pulled this record out not too long ago. Great songs.

Bill Nelson is one of those guys who sort of slipped through the cracks to some degree. It's been awhile since I've dug out the Bill Nelson vinyl, though I just scratched a mental note to myself to do this soon. I suspect that they have aged better than a lot of the like minded music of that era. I remember totally digging those records and he was kind of the "Bill Laswell of the '80''s" for awhile there, releasing scads of solo recordings with suitably cryptic titles like "Summer of God's Piano". I remember following them a bit, picking a few up here and there (not all of them were fully rewarding) and, ultimately, lost track. He was probably a little too prolific for his own good. I tremember this side project called Orchestra Arcana that was very cool, comprised of manipulated tape loops and electronics.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

gotpop
pluggin' in mics

Post by gotpop » Wed May 23, 2007 11:45 pm

Absolutely love Bill Nelson! He was a big influence on my guitar playing (I play the same kind of things, only much much slower). :)

Anybody have his Sound-on-Sound album? That's the first thing I ever bought of his and it's one of the most hyperactive albums I've ever heard (along with Sparks' Propaganda).

John Leckie and Bill Nelson ought to get back together for a project, though I don't think it's likely to happen...