Bands that make you strangely angry

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Mon May 21, 2007 11:58 am

yeah i agree. those 2 posters are so right. it's sad though.

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Mon May 21, 2007 12:48 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:maroon 5.
Just to add to your anger:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/arts/ ... 1maro.html

(registration required, I think.)
Blade... Lazer... Blazer...

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon May 21, 2007 2:25 pm

guh.

amazing that they sold 10 million records and still the label didn't think they were worth holding onto.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon May 21, 2007 2:36 pm

kentothink wrote:Rich kid bands. I cannot stand people who have record deals and get a good shot at getting big simply because they have the dough to get a lawyer and push it and all that. They can afford teams of people like stylists who are bankrolled and float around them even though they aren't making any money to support that kind of thing. They have glorious home studios (though those are just for demos...they pay big money for real studio time), the most expensive trendiest gear etc. They can afford not to work and just bang on doors and have their daddy set up appointments with the people over at Island and stuff like that. They call the Matrix on their way to the Island appointment and get themselves a hit sounding tune to present there. They learn it after the meeting. That's what rock and roll is really stating to be about. It seems to me that if you aren't born with dough and your dad wasn't the drummer in Bad Compnay or something, you aren't getting anywhere as far as the "big time" goes. It kills me when sometimes I get into a band and then I found out they're a rich kid band through some connections here or there and it makes their music so much less meaningful.

oh please, like if you had tons of money you wouldn't put it towards music??

then you go on to say that once you like a band or artist and then find out they come from money, you stop liking their "meaningless" music? that's as retarded as the very thing you're railing against.

your issue is with the record industry who has standards so low that some people can buy their way into the business.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon May 21, 2007 7:24 pm

lyman wrote:
kentothink wrote:Rich kid bands. I cannot stand people who have record deals and get a good shot at getting big simply because they have the dough to get a lawyer and push it and all that. They can afford teams of people like stylists who are bankrolled and float around them even though they aren't making any money to support that kind of thing. They have glorious home studios (though those are just for demos...they pay big money for real studio time), the most expensive trendiest gear etc. They can afford not to work and just bang on doors and have their daddy set up appointments with the people over at Island and stuff like that. They call the Matrix on their way to the Island appointment and get themselves a hit sounding tune to present there. They learn it after the meeting. That's what rock and roll is really stating to be about. It seems to me that if you aren't born with dough and your dad wasn't the drummer in Bad Compnay or something, you aren't getting anywhere as far as the "big time" goes. It kills me when sometimes I get into a band and then I found out they're a rich kid band through some connections here or there and it makes their music so much less meaningful.

oh please, like if you had tons of money you wouldn't put it towards music??

then you go on to say that once you like a band or artist and then find out they come from money, you stop liking their "meaningless" music? that's as retarded as the very thing you're railing against.

your issue is with the record industry who has standards so low that some people can buy their way into the business.
I have no idea what I'd do actually if I had tons of money...That's a good one...

I think you're right though that what I actually hate is that this industry is now something that is bought. There's really no Chuck Berry's driving to Chicago with a piano player to record 40-something takes of Maybelline anymore. There's been a hell of a lot between now and then, but I'm pretty sure that's not really happening like that anymore.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

gotpop
pluggin' in mics

Post by gotpop » Wed May 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Led Zeppelin, mostly because of Robert Plant's voice, but also just how arrogant they came across :)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu May 24, 2007 4:17 pm

James Blunt:

Will somebody please draft this guy back into the Army and send him overseas to parachute into a battle zone, with a guitar, and without a gun?

That would be fookin' beeeyootifull...

Linkin' Park:

Can anyone say just one good thing about them? Just one? Anyone?

Nickleback:

Pissing in a bag would sound more musical.

And that Kroger dood looks like a bag boy from Kroger; you know, the one that's always leering at the moms and deals ditchweed by the loading dock?

R. Kelly:

Somebody jail that pedophile already, along with The King of Poop.

3 Mafia, or whatever that MTV/VH1 reality rap band is called:

They embarass me, and I'm white.

Let's not talk about Flava Flav, either.
Last edited by vvv on Thu May 24, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Re: Help me love again

Post by alex matson » Thu May 24, 2007 4:32 pm

trebleking wrote:Everything this guy's done. Seriously, check out anything. Rage.
Oh my God.

Disasteradio
pushin' record

Post by Disasteradio » Thu May 24, 2007 11:35 pm

Scodiddly wrote:One of the other guys at work sometimes plays a sort of faux-hard-rock "gospel" group call decemberradio.
WAH! :shock:

but yeah, sign me up for The Rapture and Nintendo covers bands... which is wierd because a lot of the stuff I've written is classifiably "video game music".. Most "recontextualisation" like that reaaally gets on my nerves, but when it's done right (a la Moog Cookbook) it can be so, SO awesome.

The worst thing for me is total non sequiturs in hip-hop, a la "This Is Why I'm Hot" (awesome article about that here)

I was with you guys on the Nickelback thing until I saw them open for the Rolling Stones at a stadium down here. Man, they rocked so fricken' hard and kicked TONS of Rad. My favourite point was when Chad said "Get up and dance dudes! This isn't f*ckin' church, this is a ROCK CONCERT!" at which point I held aloft my cigarette lighter. sigh.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Fri May 25, 2007 2:15 am

vvv wrote: Nickleback:

Pissing in a bag would sound more musical.

And that Kroger dood looks like a bag boy from Kroger; you know, the one that's always leering at the moms and deals ditchweed by the loading dock?
Man, that gives me a hell of an idea.

Gotta go make a song out of a sample of myself pissing in a bag.

Plastic would work really well... very "crackly".

Now I just gotta rig a mic up outside, cause I sure as hell am not cleaning that mess up inside the house.

[<|>]

foodforthemoon
ass engineer

Post by foodforthemoon » Fri May 25, 2007 1:09 pm

directaction wrote:evanescence.
Aaaaaargh! You have said the forbidden word.

Clytor
pluggin' in mics

Post by Clytor » Fri May 25, 2007 7:25 pm

Creed among others.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri May 25, 2007 9:03 pm

kdarr wrote: Man, that gives me a hell of an idea.

Gotta go make a song out of a sample of myself pissing in a bag.

Plastic would work really well... very "crackly".

[<|>]
I guess if you want that "warm" sound you could pee into a sleeping bag. DON'T even think about going for the "brown" sound.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri May 25, 2007 9:29 pm

vvv wrote: Linkin' Park:

Can anyone say just one good thing about them? Just one? Anyone?
Sure. The fact that I can't hear them right now. I hate that fucking band.

stratology
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stratology » Sat May 26, 2007 5:18 am

Every single band on daytime radio.