Bands that make you strangely angry

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:00 pm

Clytor wrote:Barenaked Ladies is another one for me.
oh yeah that shit is the worst.

generichumanperson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by generichumanperson » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:08 pm

I actually do like some of the dave matthews bands stuff, but he is way too overpraised and overrated, their stuff after these crowded streets in my opinion is just not good, and they are just overrated, and actually annoying to me anymore. Bright eyes definitely even though maybe a couple songs i heard i liked the music. Lets see... creed, powerman 5000 (random one that i just thought of), rob zombie, nickelback , newer metallica, any hit by metallica, james blunt, that guy that did that 'had a bad day' song, fuel, dashboard confessional, my chemical romance, hawthorne heights, the used ( i liked their first cd for a little while but then resumed hating them again), the hives, the vines, the killers, any indie music that is pretentious and just not good, underoath, or almost any christian hardcore band, most of korns stuff, fall out boy, panic at the disco, poppy commercial crap. Tons more.

generichumanperson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by generichumanperson » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:22 pm

......lady sovereign.

drumzealot
alignin' 24-trk

Post by drumzealot » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:43 pm

THE STROKES :evil:

wankers

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:05 am

drumzealot wrote:THE STROKES :evil:

wankers
Just how do the strokes make anyone angry?

I would put money down that a lot of bands on this list are here only because they are popular, only who on earth would be willing to admit that. I only started liking the Strokes because they were popular. I wouldn't have heard them any other way. Granted, they aren't doing anything really original (see the Fall, etc.) but they fit a perfect void in my life for that shit, and they do it right.

I can't stand to listen to any of this emocore stuff at all, but then again I don't keep up with what the kids are listening to these days. Nonetheless, the comment "I don't know what emo is but I hate it" speaks volumes here.

"Look at me, I'm an angry man who hates anything the kids like" would be a more perfect comment.

"rolling eyes emoticon, take it away" :roll:
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:12 pm

Too many sheep, not enough sheperds.

I can only really appreciate any music in which the sincerity is present. Sadly, most signed bands/artists have lost that gift to truly get their message across with utmost honesty. I find myself appreciating street and subway musicians much more than any cd or record produced in recent years. Artists which I used to love I can barely stand anymore, and this has happened only within the last year. So much new stuff is incredibly derivative, so much stuff just sounds the same, and that realisation makes it hard for me to appreciate much of anything anymore, musically speaking. I make music and am guilty of it too, having written tunes that sound too much like my influences, but all that said, it's never too late to put things in perspective and try a new approach to the creative process.

I've been fortunate to being exposed to some incredible music over the past year, working at a bar that thrives on old jazz, african, brazilian and just anything world/eclectic covering just about every genre. This has truly opened my ears, and an honesty about how I feel about music - writing it, hearing it, appreciating it - has surfaced beyond any expectation. I had my dj bag filled with cd's and records that I would play from time to time, and some time ago I took it home and decided I didn't want to listen to any of my stuff anymore, simply because I'm so familiar with it, I just wanted to dig into the bar's record collection and discover new things, new artists, new sounds, new movements in music I was unaware of, etc, and sure enough, this "soft loathing" of most modern music manifested itself even more as a result. All that said, I don't hate everything, there are some bands that have played at said bar that just blew me away, they are unsigned, usually local, with amazing spirit and vitality in their music, and that once existing thought process of "I hope they get discovered and go far" has taken on an entirely new meaning. Do I want them to blow up? Do they? I guess that's where the magic ends and the constraints of the business become audible....with a few exceptions, it is a sad truth, imo.

Finally, I've come to accept that when hearing things I have no connection with (and to me, music is solely about that nowadays, making an emotional connection between artist and audience), it just makes me appreciate what I do even more, when writing a new tune or just jamming freely with friends. If I'm not enjoying it, then it's not worth doing, and I firmly belive that this whole discussion can be summed up by the fact that too many 'artists' out there are making stuff to please others and be liked, without any notion of what truly speaks to them and being truly honest and happy about what they do.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm

DryCounty wrote:"Look at me, I'm an angry man who hates anything the kids like" would be a more perfect comment.
But there's also lots of "look at me, I'm a cool kid who hates anything the generation(s) before me liked" going on as well.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

drumzealot
alignin' 24-trk

Post by drumzealot » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:17 pm

dwlb wrote:
DryCounty wrote:"Look at me, I'm an angry man who hates anything the kids like" would be a more perfect comment.
But there's also lots of "look at me, I'm a cool kid who hates anything the generation(s) before me liked" going on as well.
As evidenced by the first few pages of the "Most overrated albums" thread.

Stokes deffenders always fall back on irrational arguments like this. There must as they have no other options.

There is nothing good about The Strokes, not on a subjective, or any other level. They do more harm than good and should be put down like an old dog that can?t hold its food down, or its poop in. Put down like a serial killer pedophile who is compelled by bloodlust for the innocent. As time passes their stench will waft into the stratosphere and out of our consciousness. Children will play in fields of warm, soft grass pebbled with tiny delicate violets and big bullying daisies. Clouds will billow and breezes will carry songs of happiness, spontaneous and irrepressible. Jimmy Stewart will be President. :wink:

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:12 pm

drumzealot wrote:
dwlb wrote:
As evidenced by the first few pages of the "Most overrated albums" thread.

Stokes deffenders always fall back on irrational arguments like this. There must as they have no other options.

There is nothing good about The Strokes, not on a subjective, or any other level. They do more harm than good and should be put down like an old dog that can?t hold its food down, or its poop in. Put down like a serial killer pedophile who is compelled by bloodlust for the innocent. As time passes their stench will waft into the stratosphere and out of our consciousness. Children will play in fields of warm, soft grass pebbled with tiny delicate violets and big bullying daisies. Clouds will billow and breezes will carry songs of happiness, spontaneous and irrepressible. Jimmy Stewart will be President. :wink:

don't mince words, man, tell us how you feel. :jazzman:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:26 pm

You know, i wouldn't say that Interpol makes me angry per se, but I sure wish they would write a different song.

Three albums worth of mid-tempo 8th notes that add up to a giant cover of Joy Division's "Transmission". What is the deal?

[<|>]

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:56 pm

kdarr wrote:You know, i wouldn't say that Interpol makes me angry per se, but I sure wish they would write a different song.

Three albums worth of mid-tempo 8th notes that add up to a giant cover of Joy Division's "Transmission". What is the deal?

[<|>]
is the third record bad?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:27 pm

*is haunted by the image of Jimmy Stewart coming back from the dead to take the office of President of the United States of America*

wait, that'd probably be an improvement!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:02 pm

in other words, the moldering remains of jimmy stewart will do a better job than whatshisname?

i think you're on to something.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:48 pm

lg wrote:in other words, the moldering remains of jimmy stewart will do a better job than whatshisname?

i think you're on to something.
:lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:02 pm

I like these lists because you can always tell who is going to be on them. I mean, there are the five or six older bands that we know would be on, the three or four "band of the moment" bands, and the five to seven "Critically acclaimed but I can't get past..." bands. Okay, we know you don't like Rush, Fall Out Boy, and Interpol.

It sucks when you see people list bands that you enjoy, know, or projects that you've worked on, but at the same time, it kind of makes me proud...proud to know that of all the people who liked it, I made someone angry. Maybe I didn't necessarily make them angry...but my involvement in a project allowed that project to be made and through that help I was able to anger somone so much that they added my work to a fivilous list on my favorite message board. I imagine it's the same satisaction that people who decide speed limits get. Most people are pleasantly happy to drive the speed limit, but there are a crazy few who just can't drive 55. I guess in my case, I would be the person who put the sign up, not the person who decided the actual limit.

Oh, and that reminds me.

Sammy Hagar.

Ian