Bands that make you strangely angry

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mcmurrich
audio school graduate

Post by mcmurrich » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:16 am

Quote:
i absolutley love cat power. i think she is one of the best singers of our generation. the last time i saw her solo i could not believe her voice/phrasing. timeless.

Did you see the Austin City Limits where she sat in with The Flaming Lips ?
I was impressed with how far off key she could sing.
(Granted it wasn't her music, but still...)
i did not see that but trying to sing with the lips would not be any easy task.

i just love the tone of her voice and her pno based songs just kill me. very few singers hit me with soul like that.
stand by. we're rolling.

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:37 am

mcmurrich wrote:
Quote:
i absolutley love cat power. i think she is one of the best singers of our generation. the last time i saw her solo i could not believe her voice/phrasing. timeless.

i did not see that but trying to sing with the lips would not be any easy task.

i just love the tone of her voice and her pno based songs just kill me. very few singers hit me with soul like that.
i think she's made some pretty darn interesting music. the one time i saw her live was kind of horrible, but props to her for getting sober.

saint360
alignin' 24-trk

Post by saint360 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:11 pm

OK, so I just listened to The Greatest, and that album has made me change my mind on Cat Power. I first started paying attention to her stuff around the time of You Are Free and The Covers Record, and just couldn't get into it. The Greatest makes me think I need to go back and listen to those and others to make sure I wasn't missing something. She's still not on my Desert Island list, but I take back anything negative I said about her.

mcmurrich
audio school graduate

Post by mcmurrich » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:13 pm

check out moon pix. i think it's her best overall. early stuff she was still finding her voice. i don't love every song on every record but the stark pno stuff is always compelling to me. seeing her live post booze was a revelation. she is a natural and we will be hearing from her as long as she is singing.

the greatest is by far one of her best tunes.

colors and the kids on moon pix kills me everytime.
stand by. we're rolling.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:37 am

johnny7 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iauDX18wMaw
WAR PIGS!
I love it
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:50 am

saint360 wrote:OK, so I just listened to The Greatest, and that album has made me change my mind on Cat Power. I first started paying attention to her stuff around the time of You Are Free and The Covers Record, and just couldn't get into it. The Greatest makes me think I need to go back and listen to those and others to make sure I wasn't missing something. She's still not on my Desert Island list, but I take back anything negative I said about her.
One of my favorite records of the year is The Greatest.