Bands that make you strangely angry

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sun May 13, 2007 9:05 am

I'll nominate The Muse. Best shitty Thom Yorke impression ever.
And that Silversun pickups song
"I've been waitinggggg-UH"

I know it's an old rant. But it seems like back in the day nobody sounded like a kid on the radio. Now...

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun May 13, 2007 9:18 am

One of the other guys at work sometimes plays a sort of faux-hard-rock "gospel" group call decemberradio. I guess he likes those overproduced guitars. But I very pissed off about how emotionally manipulative the whole thing is - very mega-church cult stuff.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun May 13, 2007 10:42 am

yunno what annoys me? bands where the concept is way ahead of the execution....we played with this band once, who i won't name, and you've likely not heard of them anyway, but they came out with these fancy hand made outfits, hair all done up, matching makeup, video backdrop, choreographed (sp?) stage moves....all of which is fine, of course....but their tunes were nowhere...they were playing dancey stuff but their drummer couldn't keep time...and the only other element to the songs besides the vocals was a rudimentary 303-style bassline. it was lame and really got on my nerves. yeah yeah i'm old and cranky i know...but i couldn't help thinking they spent all this time and energy on everything EXCEPT writing some decent tunes and playing them well.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sun May 13, 2007 10:54 am

*takes off fancy outfit, combs hair* :oops:

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun May 13, 2007 10:57 am

:D

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sun May 13, 2007 11:35 am

I can't decide if The Cure makes me angry or not. On one hand, it's badly produced jr high drama music with a little digital 'verbed white funk thrown in there and are hailed as second only to The Beatles With Special Guest God by everyone I know. On the other, I can see the draw of watching a 7' art student singer dancing and behaving like a five year old. Yeah, they piss me off...
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun May 13, 2007 12:41 pm

The Spark wrote:Bon Jovi must be destroyed.
+ infinity.

saultime
pushin' record

Post by saultime » Sun May 13, 2007 2:31 pm

Pop country makes me want to grab a gun and climb a tower.

At least (some of) the contestants on American Idol can actually, like, sing. Kenny Chesney wouldn't exist if not for autotune. And then there are the songs, which are meant to appeal to the dumbest cross-section of humanity...

Speaking of autotune, when is this whole "autotune as an effect" going to finally go out of fashion? It's like what gated reverb was to the 80's, except 10 times worse.
When is the Douchebag Rapture?

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun May 13, 2007 4:57 pm

you know, I think gated reverb is actually pretty cool compared to auto-tune.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun May 13, 2007 7:29 pm

saultime wrote:Speaking of autotune, when is this whole "autotune as an effect" going to finally go out of fashion? It's like what gated reverb was to the 80's, except 10 times worse.
You know, I hear this comparison all the time, but I can think of FAR more examples of offensive autotune usage than offensive gated reverb useage. In fact, I think there are plenty of records with gated reverb (probably most of the ones that anyone would reference) where it was a cool and (for the time) fairly innovative effect.

When I think of 80s production techniques, gated reverb isn't really the first thing that comes to mind. Lots of reverb? Yes. Specifically gated most of the time? No.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sun May 13, 2007 9:04 pm

the La's

Opal

I like the Cranberries in general, but... "Zombie"

All 16 of the songs that came out that year in the early 00's with the lyric "with arms wide open."

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sun May 13, 2007 9:26 pm

John Cougar Mellancampy

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Sun May 13, 2007 11:28 pm

Patti Smith.

*runs from the lynch mob*

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Mon May 14, 2007 6:31 am

Insecure underground bands that are more concerned with making sure they ride the proper looking fixed gear bicycle, they are using the proper "status-quo" approved pedals and equipment, and make sure their hoodie and jeans don't stand out from the crowd --- just like their prog-psych-indie-gazer-fall-in-line-like-sheep-you-are band.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon May 14, 2007 8:31 am

nu metal

most hip hop

pop country