"Summer" albums?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JASIII
george martin
Posts: 1418
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:59 am
Location: On the Tundra

"Summer" albums?

Post by JASIII » Mon May 21, 2007 1:01 pm

We've finally had some summer weather way up north here, and it got me thinking: What are some albums you consider to be 'summer' albums? Ones you either only find yourself listening to during the summer or have some sort of emotional connection to a summer past.....

For me some that come to mind are:

Breeder's "The Pod" - Don't know why but I associate it with driving home from work in 90 degree July.

Sly and the Family Stones Greatest Hits: A favorite at our backyard parties.
'hot fun in the summertime' doesn't hurt any, either.

Steve Miller Band's "Sailor": I hate the radio friendly Steve Miller, his 2nd album is actually pretty good and I associate it with rainy summer afternoons.


Others?

User avatar
JGriffin
zen recordist
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:44 pm
Location: criticizing globally, offending locally
Contact:

Post by JGriffin » Mon May 21, 2007 1:11 pm

Boston's debut album. Nothing screams "summer" to me like hearing 6 seconds of "Long Time" blasting out the window of a passing muscle car.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
klangtone
pushin' record
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:25 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Post by klangtone » Mon May 21, 2007 1:19 pm

The Rentals- Return of The Rentals

Grandaddy- Sum Day

Pulsars- s/t?

This stuff is all in the same vain of fuzzy rock with synths.
Somehow that says summer to me.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

DefD
alignin' 24-trk
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:40 am
Location: a river of green sliding unseen beneath the trees

Post by DefD » Mon May 21, 2007 2:34 pm

anything from the first four Van Halen albums.
not that i like anything by Van Halen, but it does have that association for me.

leftofthedial
pushin' record
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Post by leftofthedial » Mon May 21, 2007 2:45 pm

Never Mind the Bollocks.

Nothing cleared out a patch at the beach better than that.
They mostly come at night..... Mostly.

AstroDan
george martin
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: Avoca, Arkansas

Post by AstroDan » Mon May 21, 2007 5:06 pm

The Violent Femmes first record and Metallica's 'And Justice...' were played constantly at this summer school I was "sent" to, and for some reason are ingrained. The Femmes takes me to a more sentimental/romantic summer place; the Metallica album just makes me think of hot and flies.

Led Zeppelin is good summer stock.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

User avatar
joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze
Posts: 3838
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:10 am

Re: "Summer" albums?

Post by joeysimms » Mon May 21, 2007 5:07 pm

JASIII wrote:We've finally had some summer weather way up north here, and it got me thinking: What are some albums you consider to be 'summer' albums? Ones you either only find yourself listening to during the summer or have some sort of emotional connection to a summer past.....

For me some that come to mind are:

Breeder's "The Pod" - Don't know why but I associate it with driving home from work in 90 degree July.

Sly and the Family Stones Greatest Hits: A favorite at our backyard parties.
'hot fun in the summertime' doesn't hurt any, either.

Steve Miller Band's "Sailor": I hate the radio friendly Steve Miller, his 2nd album is actually pretty good and I associate it with rainy summer afternoons.


Others?
Come home Corey Feldman, you look silly in this outfit!!!
beware bee wear

User avatar
Smitty
tinnitus
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:14 am
Location: columbus, oh

Post by Smitty » Mon May 21, 2007 5:21 pm

Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.

If you've never driven through the woods and/or countryside, at night, too fast, with the windows down and Shine On You Crazy Diamond turned up too loud... you should try it. Highly recommended.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

DefD
alignin' 24-trk
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:40 am
Location: a river of green sliding unseen beneath the trees

Post by DefD » Mon May 21, 2007 9:30 pm

Smitty wrote:Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.

If you've never driven through the woods and/or countryside, at night, too fast, with the windows down and Shine On You Crazy Diamond turned up too loud... you should try it. Highly recommended.
i have done this and enjoyed it.
it works even better if you're in another state and lost.

JASIII
george martin
Posts: 1418
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:59 am
Location: On the Tundra

Re: "Summer" albums?

Post by JASIII » Tue May 22, 2007 8:32 am

joeysimms wrote:
JASIII wrote:We've finally had some summer weather way up north here, and it got me thinking: What are some albums you consider to be 'summer' albums? Ones you either only find yourself listening to during the summer or have some sort of emotional connection to a summer past.....

For me some that come to mind are:

Breeder's "The Pod" - Don't know why but I associate it with driving home from work in 90 degree July.

Sly and the Family Stones Greatest Hits: A favorite at our backyard parties.
'hot fun in the summertime' doesn't hurt any, either.

Steve Miller Band's "Sailor": I hate the radio friendly Steve Miller, his 2nd album is actually pretty good and I associate it with rainy summer afternoons.


Others?
Come home Corey Feldman, you look silly in this outfit!!!

HAHAHA :D

mjau
genitals didn't survive the freeze
Posts: 3972
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:33 pm
Location: Orlando
Contact:

Post by mjau » Tue May 22, 2007 9:00 am

Bonnie Prince Billy's Ease Down the Road album - especially the frogs making noise deep in the background.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory
Posts: 2908
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:34 am
Location: London, England
Contact:

Post by Rigsby » Thu May 24, 2007 3:41 am

'Slanted and Enchanted' is very summery to me.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

User avatar
;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3290
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:15 am
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain
Contact:

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu May 24, 2007 8:55 am

Old obscure rockabilly and Eddie Cochran type stuff for me, thank you very much. That, and italian opera. Those are the things that sound fantastic on a hot porch in the muggy stretches of the summer.

oh_sweet_nuthin
audio school
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:07 am
Location: Louisville

Post by oh_sweet_nuthin » Thu May 24, 2007 9:18 am

The Allmans live at the Fillmore.

Its the soundtrack for driving out to the fishing hole.

User avatar
Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3263
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:15 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Jeff White » Thu May 24, 2007 9:37 am

Rigsby wrote:'Slanted and Enchanted' is very summery to me.
+1 for Pavement in general. "Summer Babe"??? Perhaps.

Also, Where Ya Been by Dino Jr.

Jeff

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mjau and 6 guests