White Stripes--Icky Thump

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:47 pm

Rufer wrote: (like reading Playboy for the articles, I listened for the Frusciante).
ahaha! Good analogy and good thing I do neither.

As for the glitchy whammy pedal stuff, that is what I though made the song good. Otherwise the song, I felt, was rather mediocre.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:41 pm

Man. It must sound like shit. This will no doubt drive Meg to drink harder and play better.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:48 pm

What is up with that double speed guitar sound?
I find it gimmicky...

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:29 am

Rufer wrote:I think Warner Brothers is notorious for this kind of thing. None of the White Stripes previous records had this problem and this is their first on WB. I know the chili peppers, another WB product, had this exact problem for Californication (like reading Playboy for the articles, I listened for the Frusciante).
Ugh, I know the sound of that Chili Peppers record. If the new White Stripes underwent the same loudness butchering (not gonna dignify it by calling it "mastering") then I'm dreading hearing it... which is too bad, cuz thus far I've been looking forward to hearing it.

Leigh

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:35 am

leigh wrote: Ugh, I know the sound of that Chili Peppers record. If the new White Stripes underwent the same loudness butchering (not gonna dignify it by calling it "mastering") then I'm dreading hearing it... which is too bad, cuz thus far I've been looking forward to hearing it.
There's always the vinyl, if you have a turntable. That's what I had to do for the new Modest Mouse because the CD sounds awful. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one because it looks like it's less crushed than the last one, but it sounds worse, and it was done by the same guy.

As for Vlad the Impaler, he is at Sony in New York. I'm sure he'll find another gig quickly, though. Hopefully, everyone else there does, as well.

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:12 am

Someone on the WS message board posted this picture comparing the wave form of a part of the Stripes' Martyr For My Love with Strawberry Fields. While Maybe not a valid comparison, the picture is pretty blantant.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:27 am

yeah that picture doesn't really tell us anything, you'd need to zoom in on some peaks to really see if it was totally flatlined.....BUT...i think it says something if people on the WS site are posting things like that.

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:38 am

Yup...It's time for a new turntable cartridge.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:55 am

Johnny B wrote:There's always the vinyl, if you have a turntable. That's what I had to do for the new Modest Mouse because the CD sounds awful. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one because it looks like it's less crushed than the last one, but it sounds worse, and it was done by the same guy.
The vinyl would be better because you think it had a different mastering job? Or just that the high frequency spikes & crackle would be tamed by vinyl's bandwidth?

Leigh

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:44 pm

if they were smart they'd have it mastered (at least somewhat) differently for vinyl, but it's not a given. they might just send the cd master to the vinyl place, and they (the vinyl folks) would have to just turn it down to whatever level would work on an LP.

i'm curious to hear it/see how loud it actually is, cause judging from that screenshot there does seem to be a lot of dynamic range there. so it seems like it's not super compressed, just clipped/limited to get the loud parts really loud. which is still dumb, cause i mean what fun is it if the sound totally goes to shit when it gets loud?

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:38 pm

What about the bonus track Baby Brother I dont think it has this loudness problem.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:18 pm

There actually is some good dynamic range and the softer songs sound fine. It's just those loud rockers that distort in a very unpleasant way.

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:45 pm

leigh wrote:
Johnny B wrote:There's always the vinyl, if you have a turntable. That's what I had to do for the new Modest Mouse because the CD sounds awful. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one because it looks like it's less crushed than the last one, but it sounds worse, and it was done by the same guy.
The vinyl would be better because you think it had a different mastering job? Or just that the high frequency spikes & crackle would be tamed by vinyl's bandwidth?

Leigh
The theory is that the mastering job is different, although I suppose it is possible that they use the CD master. Kind of defeats the purpose of doing a double-180 gram pressing, though. I've had good luck so far buying vinyl pressings of new or newly remastered stuff and having them sound better than the CD. But it's only been a couple of things. Luckily for me, I don't buy a lot of major label stuff, so I haven't gotten a lot of really poor sounding discs.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:38 pm

"Luckily for me, I don't buy a lot of major label stuff, so I haven't gotten a lot of really poor sounding discs."

hah. Just found this funny. It's become so second nature in our expectations (on this board anyway)

The commentator Frank Duford (Deuford? Dooford?) said the other day that sports is the only place where you find popularity and excellence sharing the same bed. (paraphrasing)

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:49 am

Johnny B wrote:
leigh wrote: Ugh, I know the sound of that Chili Peppers record. If the new White Stripes underwent the same loudness butchering (not gonna dignify it by calling it "mastering") then I'm dreading hearing it... which is too bad, cuz thus far I've been looking forward to hearing it.
There's always the vinyl, if you have a turntable. That's what I had to do for the new Modest Mouse because the CD sounds awful. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one because it looks like it's less crushed than the last one, but it sounds worse, and it was done by the same guy.

As for Vlad the Impaler, he is at Sony in New York. I'm sure he'll find another gig quickly, though. Hopefully, everyone else there does, as well.
Its funny cause I know most of the people who worked on that new modest mouse album and I think the main problem with it is that too many people worked on it for way way too long. I heard the track count on some songs was over 100 and it took a total of around 6 months to record at two different studios with like 5 or 6 different engineers.