White Stripes--Icky Thump

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:25 pm

vsr600 wrote: Its funny cause I know most of the people who worked on that new modest mouse album and I think the main problem with it is that too many people worked on it for way way too long. I heard the track count on some songs was over 100 and it took a total of around 6 months to record at two different studios with like 5 or 6 different engineers.
Wow, that's pretty crazy. That explains a lot. It's a pretty dense record. Much more than the last couple. I think it's a good record. And I think the vinyl sounds fine. It's the CD that I think sounds bad. There's this weird distortion in the mids that bothers me.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:18 pm

It was tracked at Sweet Tea here in Oxford and some studio I can't remember the name of in Portland (its on the liner notes). It was then mixed (mostly by Clay Jones and Dennis Herring) at Sweet Tea on his Neve... dunno where it was mastered though.

Johnny B
pushin' record

Post by Johnny B » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:35 pm

Masterdisk. Howie Weinberg is credited (on both the vinyl and CD artwork.)

danman_d
audio school

clipping indeed

Post by danman_d » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:05 pm

from Icky Thump track 02, "You Dont Know What Love Is":

Pretty blatant clip. F*** you, Vlado.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:23 pm

Funny thing, I thought I noticed a few beatle-type recording techniques. Is it just me, or did they track the bagpipes on Icky-Thump (the song) with the tape running slow? (so it speeds up when brought back to norm), thought I heard some Guitar and Megs voice done the same way here and there thoughout the record.

Great Fucking Record by the way. "Loving Prickly Thorn, but Sweetly Torn" but man, I gotta voice my love for the Vox delays on "I'm Slowly Turning Into You". What is that, a tape -delay?

Fucking Awesome.

P.S. Let's not get into the Jim Diamond thing. Thats between Jack, Jim, God, and our dark lord Satan. - :twisted:

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:47 pm

The mastering is a turd, I just got the record and I thought I had a bad tweeter or a loose cable somewhere. It sounds like a burn issue though, like something went wrong at the factory. Or like some intern bumped the levels when everyone else was out smoking. Something had to be a mistake.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:12 pm

lightandmind wrote:Funny thing, I thought I noticed a few beatle-type recording techniques. Is it just me, or did they track the bagpipes on Icky-Thump (the song) with the tape running slow? (so it speeds up when brought back to norm), thought I heard some Guitar and Megs voice done the same way here and there thoughout the record.

Great Fucking Record by the way. "Loving Prickly Thorn, but Sweetly Torn" but man, I gotta voice my love for the Vox delays on "I'm Slowly Turning Into You". What is that, a tape -delay?

Fucking Awesome.

P.S. Let's not get into the Jim Diamond thing. Thats between Jack, Jim, God, and our dark lord Satan. - :twisted:
bagpipes? I'm pretty sure thats a Stylophone :)

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:22 pm

someone's not reading this thread carefully....

elephant had a similar mastering problem with the bass turned WAY too loud. someone go look for the leaked version which shouldve been ripped from the promo LP. should be on some torrent site.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:08 pm

I wound up sucking it up and buying the 180 gram vinyl a week after I bought the cd and it is glorious--$45 later. None of the clipping of the disk and in fact everything sounds more than a bit better. The snare in particular.

bewarethanatos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bewarethanatos » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:10 pm

Maybe the record labels are screwing up CD mastering deliberately so more people will buy the vinyl. This, in turn, means 1. money from CD sales, 2. money from vinyl sales, 3. people start listening to and appreciating vinyl again!

I'm being facetious, of course.

James B
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by James B » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:34 pm

Regardless of issues of sound quality, I still think 'Rag and Bone' and 'Cream Soda' are the two best songs the White Stripes have done since 'White Blood Cells', they have everything their last couple of albums have lacked; which is mostly just a sense of fun rather than taking themselves too seriously.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:28 pm

from http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story ... 45,00.html:

"White Stripes' Icky Thump has just notched up the highest weekly sales for a 7in single for more than 20 years"

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:03 pm

Get the vinyl - mastered by Kevin Gray/Steve Hoffman, direct from the original 1" (yes, 1") 2 track master mixes. It sounds great.

Cd's are a lost cause at this point. I'm sure a vinyl-->cdr burn will sound better than the cd.
beware bee wear

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:11 pm

Not to change the subject (surely this is being discussed elsewhere on this board), but the new Spoon record sounds great. I have the vinyl and it's really beautiful, sound-wise.

Friends who have the CD report that it, too, sounds great.

Point being, I don't think all hope is gone for the compact disc.