Most overrated albums?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

generichumanperson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by generichumanperson » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:55 pm

soundgardens superunknown, i like it but I actually think I might like down on the upside better.
Anything by nirvana, even though I like them, they are overrated. Kurt Cobain is overrated. I think people might be more attracted to how 'interesting' a person he was more than the actual songwriting. I also agree about sgt peppers, I like it a lot, i only got into the beatles a couple years ago, i think the white album is better in my opinion. I guess it was a groundbreaking record though, but i skip a couple songs usually. I know theres a bunch more I can't think of right now.

drumzealot
alignin' 24-trk

Post by drumzealot » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:45 pm

visible cow wrote:I don't post much but I had to chime in......Bjork is bad, very bad. I love the IDEA of Bjork (and i dig her style) but she has yet to pull off a consistently decent album. Pretentious and dull. In ten years maybe I can buy her Greatest Hits and have one mind blowing record.
A friend of mine works as a personal assistant in NYC. I asked her who were the most awesome and the most difficult pain the ass celebs she has worked for. Without hesitation she replied that Bjork was the worst and Philip Seymour Hoffman was the coolest.
visible cow wrote:Oh, Joni Mitchell sucks too....
This opinion is not tenable. May God have mercy on your soul.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:15 pm

visible cow wrote: Also Blood on the Tracks doesn't hit me anymore. "Tangled Up in Blue" should be a good song but it's just so clumsy....."Idiot Wind"? WTF! "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts" is a mess too......and not in the good Dylan way.....

Oh, Joni Mitchell sucks too....but not the Beatles-they did almost no sucking.

Ok, back to my cave.
what the...why you...pfphhh gggarbblll...*takes puff off of inhaler*

I never got 'Idiot Wind' either, until I happened to read that the album may have been inspired by Dylan's breakup with his wife. listening to every song from that perspective brought it into focus for me. I'm seeing a woman that lives in the mountains an hour north of here, and I've made that the driving music several times now, and it just kills me. 'Idiot Wind' has turned into this fantastic rant. 'You stupid bitch, I love you!' It really all is about context and what resonates for you...so much so that sometimes I despair of turning anyone on to my favorite songs. When something you love grabs the person you play it for though, it's a sweet moment, innit?
If you've never heard Joni's 'Same Situation' or 'A Case of You' and thought of an old flame, well...you've missed out.

I was in a band with a guy that was playing 'The Miseducation of Lauren Hill' constantly, and to me it was like someone copped Stevie Wonder's style, but took away all the joy and cool chord progressions. Comparing her to Stevie was just silly to me.

drumzealot
alignin' 24-trk

Post by drumzealot » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:34 pm

alex matson wrote: I was in a band with a guy that was playing 'The Miseducation of Lauren Hill' constantly, and to me it was like someone copped Stevie Wonder's style, but took away all the joy and cool chord progressions. Comparing her to Stevie was just silly to me.
I've played some gigs with a person that toured with her and this person reports that Mrs Hill is of quite limited talent (other than just singing - I like her voice) and has wasted piles of money trying to track songs using her vocal/guitar tracks as the basic tracks. Appearanlty they were just not usable and noone was willing to put their nads on the block and break the news to her.

ideaofnorth
takin' a dinner break

overrated

Post by ideaofnorth » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:35 am

anything by radiohead in my book. the most hyper dramatic, anthemic parts of later U2 mixed with a watered-down version of Fennesz or Tim Hecker. Just my opinion.

funny, i love Smile, but i laughed out loud at the Pitchfork festival last year when David Berman remarked that he just didn't see what was so great about it. After referring to the crowd as musically literate, or something.

this thread reminds me of john waters' essay "101 things I hate", which he then followed up with "101 things I love". in that spirit, three artists I once hated, but grew to love:
Bruce Springsteen
Steely Dan (i know, covered to death)
BB King
Wilco
Rod Stewart (mercury years, none of that standards bullshit)

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Here's another one for Sgt. Pepper's. I actually hate it; it's very shrill and harsh on my ears...But I love the White Album! Go figure...

I think that Electric Ladyland is disappointing, too, given the quality of Jimi's previous two recordings...

Neil Young's On The Beach reissue a couple years back come out with a lot of hub-bub, but it sounded pretty f'n bland to this major Neil Young fan.

As for new stuff? Hmm...TV On The Radio bores the shit out of me, and Radiohead's Hail To The Thief sounds like Radiohead covering Radiohead...

On a side note, I would say that Smog's "A River Ain't Too Much To Love" is one of the most criminally underappreciated albums of all time. Sure, folks like us know it, but I can't understand why he didn't take over the world with that record...
Alex C. McKenzie

longfade
pluggin' in mics

Post by longfade » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:43 pm

visible cow wrote:I don't post much but I had to chime in......Bjork is bad, very bad. I love the IDEA of Bjork (and i dig her style) but she has yet to pull off a consistently decent album. Pretentious and dull. In ten years maybe I can buy her Greatest Hits and have one mind blowing record.
Bjork is one of those that I listened to for a while and thought I liked, then one day I realized, "Wait a minute: This shit is insufferable". Besides her extremely limited range of melodic ideas and idiotic lyrics, her voice is the sonic equivalent of listening to a baby gurgling and crying. I hate Bjork. Can't even stand her name.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:50 am

worst thread ever.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:59 am

It seems a bit disingenuous to label an album 'overrated' using the rationale that (paraphrase of many of these posts) "I've heard it too many times and now it doesn't do much for me anymore" ...

I'm sick of Blood On the Tracks too, but only because I listened to it at least twice a week for ten years. It's still a fine record. Ditto "Stairway to Heaven". I don't need to hear it ever again, but I still remember how it used to 'take me to that place', so to speak, when I was thirteen.

Why does MC5 always show up on these kinds of lists? I totally agree that they are overrated. Ditto Alicia Keys.

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:13 am

firby wrote:Anything by Rush or Yes.
Agreed.
I'm a bad man!

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:03 pm

ASTRAL FREAKING WEEKS!! Sounds like it was 'composed' spontaneously after smoking a lid of Panama Red in the bathroom. And that upright bass player is the most "Check me out!", showey bass player ever.

Actually, it's kind of growing on me, but that man seriously needs some editing/preproduction to reign in his bellowing.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:01 pm

swelle wrote:ASTRAL FREAKING WEEKS!! Sounds like it was 'composed' spontaneously after smoking a lid of Panama Red in the bathroom. And that upright bass player is the most "Check me out!", showey bass player ever.
So . . . shall I break it to Richard Davis that he sucks, or will you?
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

wdr99
audio school graduate

Post by wdr99 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:34 pm

Yeah, Richard Davis came and gave a talk at my school when I was in college about 20 years ago. I mean, the guy played with Eric Dolphy and Van Morrison..... I can't think of anything cooler. I was pretty blown away.
percussion boy wrote:
swelle wrote:ASTRAL FREAKING WEEKS!! Sounds like it was 'composed' spontaneously after smoking a lid of Panama Red in the bathroom. And that upright bass player is the most "Check me out!", showey bass player ever.
So . . . shall I break it to Richard Davis that he sucks, or will you?

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:08 pm

I agree with most of you...

I totally agree that Led Zeppelin is way over rated.

Brubeck's "Time Out" isn't nearly as good as "Countdown: Time in Outer Space"

and Rush really annoys me after 2 songs.

jakerock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jakerock » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:15 pm

Foo Fighters
Queens of the stone age

visible cow wrote:
Oh, Joni Mitchell sucks too....
...This made me really mad for about 30 seconds!
I think she is UNDER rated.

-Jake