The best recording I've done...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:41 pm

Yup, the one piece of music you are most proud to have recorded...

Let us know about it. The who's, what's, when's, where's, and why's. Post a link to it if you can. I'll talk about mine as the thread develops.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:47 pm

This is a cop out for sure but a bunch of my faves (sonically, at least!) are on the samples on my new website?

I think "Compliance" or "Why so looking back" on the new most serene republic record are my favorite recordings.. leaning towards the former.. its a huge, huge story so i'll wait till the album's out. But i wanted to get this started. Great thread idea, mjau!

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:05 am

Awesome, thanks Mike - I was beginning to worry that nobody would post anything!

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:01 pm

im really proud of one song i wrote and recorded called "The Bipolar Express." its on my music myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/seejmusic dont worry about the mix. i wanted to remix the two i did on the 4track this summer, but then my friend got sent away for stupid reasons. oh well. i can wait until he comes home, whenever that will be.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

K.Hendriksen
studio intern

Post by K.Hendriksen » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:34 pm

i'm not sure if these are the best recordings i've done but i record all the songs myself with my mbox and a rode mic. i feel i am getting better but any feedback i could get would be awesome. www.myspace.com/virginiareed666

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:12 pm

The ALBUM I'm most proud of, so far, is "when the power comes" by a band called Sonance. I recorded them last year and we really only spent a total of maybe 12 hours tracking and then a week to mix. It was a big turning point for me in that I had learned alot very quickly about engineering, right before we began tracking. They were entirely instrumental, and very experimental, and were completely cool with that carrying over into the recording process. Being entirely self-taught, I second guess myself alot, but this whole process was great for me, and for the band. Sadly, they have broken up, but you can hear the song "majesty" at www.myspace.com/thelionaudio.. and there is NO digital reverb on the drums.. this was when I learned to compress the hell out of room mics

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:38 pm

Hey this is a great thread. The one song that i actually really think sounds good is called Bedpans and Broomsticks by my new band/project/friends screwing around. Here is the link:

http://www.myspace.com/velvetaudiorecording

it takes about a minute before the song really kicks in but I love the drum and bass sounds and I really love the guitar sounds, especially in the chorus.

if anyone' s interested i will give details, but basically this is the first song I have recorded and mixed that I can actually listen to and really enjoy; without thinking about all the things I wish I could have done better. Myspace kind of destroys the cymbals and high end, but I don't have a better way of posting on the web right now. . .
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

2121TrumbullAve
gimme a little kick & snare

eh, what the heck

Post by 2121TrumbullAve » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:56 am

http://www.myspace.com/johnrasmussen

i haven't been able to do much better than "get well soon", and it's nothing to write home about, sonically.

i play everything and record everything in a bedroom with humble gear.

jesus, myspace destroys high end...
*insert pricey DAW specs here

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:25 pm

Hey Mike,

This is slightly off-topic, but I went and took a look at your site. Very cool.

My question is, how do you have that modded Nady hanging above the drums? It doesn't look like a shock mount. Is there a non-shock mount mount for those things? I have the same mic, and it would be nice to not put it in the shockmount all the time.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:02 pm

Actually my shockmount for the "pelady" just broke so I have it on another thread mount I had around... one for a groove tubes mic which I now don't use since I dont have a stand for it. I am trying half-heartedly to get a new nady shockmount but haven't had any luck finding one yet.

... back to the topic at hand! :)

PS Myspace people: If you enable downloads, we can download the original mp3 rather than listening to the brutal myspace player transcode:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=48244

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:20 am

All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

Raizesindigena
studio intern

Post by Raizesindigena » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:04 pm

I think Cuchata's "Sangre Mixto" I think with the best track being "Sistema Mayoridad" or "Janke" http://www.myspace.com/cuchata

The new Sly Lotahrio stuff is good.... Ironicaly I think production wise the best track is "Best You Can Do" http://www.myspace.com/slylothario

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:04 am

Interesting question...

The Soulive record on Stax, called "no place like soul".. I am proud of my mixes on that.
The Book of Knots records (ANTI) I am proud of because I am a band member and producer and engineer in that case...
A record I did a long time ago by a band called "the farewell bend" for dischord/slowdime... I did that record with an unmodded auditronics 501 console, an mci JH10 16track 2" machine, and two Dbx 160XT's. Oh, I had an SPX90 as well. I still love the sound of that record. The 16 track had 14 tracks that worked correctly. The console had like 21 channels working at the time. I did not have any super cool mics to use on that one... I think that was '97... wow 10 years ago.. weird.

Anyway, those three come to mind right away... I guess the tracking I did for the Sparklehorse record "its a wonderful life" would be up there as well...

I dunno... I like my job so there really isnt one over the other in a way...

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:10 am

joel hamilton wrote:I guess the tracking I did for the Sparklehorse record "its a wonderful life" would be up there as well...
Definitely something to be proud of. I love the sounds & the songs on that record.

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:34 am

joel hamilton wrote:I guess the tracking I did for the Sparklehorse record "its a wonderful life"
Oh sure, Joel. It's like we're all hanging out shooting baskets with and then Michael Jordan comes by and wants to play.

Just kidding dude. I love that record so much. Not only has it not aged, it's actually gotten better over the years. Hats off to you...