The best recording I've done...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:01 am

Hey Bigbassape, just checked out your stuff and it sounds great!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

bigbassape
audio school

Post by bigbassape » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:37 am

thanks! We're starting a new record next month, I'm trying to get a decent low budget console for summing before mix time!

g
Welcome to Sh*t Creek. (paddles $50.00)

Kevjones
studio intern

Post by Kevjones » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:41 am

http://www.box.net/shared/9e9l8fdpve

I just posted it on the forum. I'm just so proud since I did it all on my own and I know I could release it on vinyl, a very small press , of course....

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:17 pm

Kevjones wrote:http://www.box.net/shared/9e9l8fdpve

I just posted it on the forum. I'm just so proud since I did it all on my own and I know I could release it on vinyl, a very small press , of course....
Pretty sweet.

safetysheep
audio school

Post by safetysheep » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:12 am

I recorded all of
my own bands music
I have a small studio here in
Johnson city tn
thank you for checking it out
I'd appriciate any comments
myspace.com/ocoai
if you like what you hear get at me and I'll
send you some free CDs!

eldiablito
audio school graduate

Favorite tunes

Post by eldiablito » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:42 am

The songs that I have up on myspace- www.myspace.com/russellbeach -are the ones that I am the most proud of to date. Some are what I would consider of a pre-production quality. Some are are definitely, as you may hear if you check it out, of the Kitchen recording quality. But all have some really great moments for me and capture the essence of what I am about as an artist. I think you may have said just pick one song, so, I put them in order of preference.
But, there are a couple of notes about a few of the songs that I'll throw in for kicks! Heh.
The first 2 are recorded on the Tascam 2488 using the mxl 990 and 991, digital reference(drcx1) and shure 57. Most of the time I have the mxl over the right shoulder on the drum kit and Digital Reference in the front. I use the 990 to mic the acoustic and vox. The 57 for Fender blues jr.

The Road- I was happy to get to use my Digitech Bass Synth Wah setting #4 to give it a layer of etherealness. It was an extra track. There is a clean bass track as well.

Arise- I thought that acoustic came out great. Its an Skunk Baxter series Epiphone Acoustic electric with the 990 on the neck side of the sound hole(my go to positioning).

Sight Unseen- Garage band The drums are one of the live sample loops until half way when their joined by a live kit. Also, I used my dads Pete Seeger edition Vega Banjo.(that banjo was played at Carnagie Hall in '64 opening for the Beatles where my Fathers band< the Briarwood Singers were the opening act)

I won't bore you with too many other details but, I will say I was proud of the drum sound on Needle Don't. It was one drum mic(mxl 990) in the room, but, there was a 57 on the kick that was going to my Carvin 1x15 bass amp located in the kitchen where it was miced up by the drcx1. I just think that it came out sounding very live and rich. The lead guitar was going through my little danelctro pocket amp!

I'm sure there is alot to pick apart in these recordings. I just thought I would share a little of what I do with you guys. I really enjoy this forum a lot.
I have some new recordings coming up soon that me and a band have put a little more effort into getting some better mics and pre-amps and a quieter space .
I'll share some of the final product when we get finished.
The thought plickens.

doug deeper
alignin' 24-trk

Post by doug deeper » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:16 pm

the song "make it well" here:
http://www.mmoss.bandcamp.com
recorded on cassette 8 track (he whole record was).
double high strung guitar, marching bass, bass guitar, layered flutes, layered echo cello, bongos, preverb.

bela_bartok
audio school

Post by bela_bartok » Wed May 12, 2010 10:44 pm

http://thedirtywords.com/wp/index.php/music/

It's taken me more than a year to be able to really listen to it, but this was my first serious mixing effort. I had done a bunch of electronic craziness before, but this is the first "Album" I've ever mixed with all live instruments n such. I didn't record it (I'm the drummer). It was mostly recorded live in an afternoon, with some overdubs added later. Honestly it took me WAYYY too long to do.

mistersuit
audio school

Post by mistersuit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:06 pm

Heres a couple tracks i did recently that are okay..
i like "i was alone" best i spose, no real drums unfortunately. some criticism would be nice.

myspace.com/mistersuit

-garrett

Pmkidmusic
audio school

My First Mixing Job

Post by Pmkidmusic » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:20 pm

First mixing/recording job I did...an original composition (played everything) recorded using a Casio keyboard using a bunch of different plug ins in Pro Tools, 2 mic drum setup, and some guitars. I love the feel of it...

http://soundcloud.com/the-astor-kings/ewf
Rock. Robot Rock.

Fwd Pro
audio school

Humdrum - Reproduce

Post by Fwd Pro » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:58 am

Here's my contribution - the song "Reproduce" by Humdrum. I like this one in particular because we basically built it from scratch over the course of several sessions, and we ended up using the theme of the song (slightly silly as it might be) as a guide during the production.

It might also be the best [i]sounding[/i] thing I've recorded...this is the first record I've done where I could use microphones that cost more than $100, didn't have to mix on headphones, etc. It was tracked at the band's basement practice space/studio in St. Louis, MO and mixed at Bird Cloud Recording (Edwardsville, IL). Mastering by Carl Saff. Comments (praise and constructive criticism) appreciated!

http://thepanharmonicon.com/Reproduce.mp3

fgirtan
audio school

Post by fgirtan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 am

Pmkidmusic nice jobe. I like it very much

jsweed
audio school

My first post here...

Post by jsweed » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:22 am

Hi all,
I'm enjoying listening to everyone's excellent abilities on here. Here's something I did a little while ago. As for the greatest thing I've done...I don't know? I tend to think the latest is the greatest, but I'd appreciate your feedback.

www.reverbnation.com/schwarzenator

It's an Arnold Schwarzenegger concept band!

gorom
audio school

Post by gorom » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:27 am

:))):)) sounds really funny

YRLK
audio school graduate

My debut record...

Post by YRLK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:21 am

Hello TapeOp Friends:

I don't really know which song to pick from the record to show you... I'm pretty proud of all of them. My brother Neal and I (Brad) wrote these songs, and I arranged and performed all the instruments *with the exception of performing the string parts* for the entire record.

I don't think it's perfect, and I certainly hope to keep making better music in the future--I want to improve musicianship, engineering, and my "production ear," but I do feel that this record is a great example of how useful TapeOp has been... I have learned SO much from reading and researching equipment, techniques, and personalities.

So here it is, and please... if you like it, PLEASE spread the word (Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, whatever) so that I can hopefully keep making more music somehow in the future.

http://yrlk.bandcamp.com

THANKS! And I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for being part of my TapeOp family. =)

Brad | YRLK