Question about Myspace Music

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Packy
ass engineer

Question about Myspace Music

Post by Packy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:59 pm

What kind of compression does the myspace audio player use, and why does it sound so crappy? I've never heard this kind of poor quality come from any other stream besides maybe really compressed video. I believe if you download a track from someone's page it's still the same mp3 that they originally uploaded, so it would seem they should be capable of streaming said file in its unaffected form...unless I'm missing something here (granted, I don't know that much about bandwidth, etc.)

And more disturbingly, why hasn't it improved at all in the last like 2 and a half years? I suppose one could ask that about pretty much every aspect of myspace, which in my opinion is one of the most poorly designed and implemented web sites I've ever encountered.

Sorry about the rant, I just get enraged when I put my hard-earned tracks up for people to hear and they come out sounding like garbage. :x

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:03 pm

i always make 128k mp3s of the mixes i make for myspace and they sound decent, even in stereo.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:51 am

I know your pain man. What really bugs me is when I record a band here and they take the rough mixes home to listen to, and 5 minutes later the rough mixes are up on their myspace page and they've told all their friends to come listen to the new tracks they just recorded at MY studio (which sound like crap)! But yea I think the reason they use such low quality is because myspace happens to be one of the largest websites on the web and has to handle an ENORMOUS amount of traffic. If they were to bump up the quality, it would probably lock up their servers.

Packy
ass engineer

Post by Packy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:06 pm

hmm, good point. I guess in a single day there are far, far less people downloading from myspace music pages than there are streaming the tracks, hence the compression. Still, what a pain in the ass and ears!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:14 pm

http://fileden.com/

I haven't used it but it seems great.

I don't even listen to myspace links, to be honest. Its pretty hard to evaluate a recording based on the 96kbps myspace mp3 transcoding.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

acidwashed
ass engineer

Post by acidwashed » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:48 am

I was told by a very wise man that myspace compresses to 128k regardless of what you throw at it. His theory was to get a 128k mp3 sounding really good and then the myspace player wouldn't kill it. Have a listen for yourself:
http://www.myspace.com/thestaggeringstatistics