Well...maybe a final mix. This is my first big project....

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Clytor
pluggin' in mics

Well...maybe a final mix. This is my first big project....

Post by Clytor » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:19 pm

I would love any input on this mix! I am currently mixing my bands upcoming album. We recorded the drums and bass at a studio in town. We did everything else at my house. I am sorry but I don't have the song up anywhere except myspace. The song is call Valedictorian.

www.myspace.com/thesort

zesbez
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zesbez » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:08 pm

I really dig the music. I'd mix this song for free.

Clytor
pluggin' in mics

Post by Clytor » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:04 pm

Thanks for the offer. I will keep that in mind. Do you have any thoughts on my mix. :)

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:14 pm

The snare sounds pretty out of phase with the overheads and thusly is lacking low end and punch. As it stands, I think this is the problem most worth addressing as its robbing the music of the power that it should have. The entire mix could use a compressor across it, too.

zesbez
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zesbez » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:21 pm

I agree with the snare lacking some punch. The BGVs sound a little chaotic in the middle of track. The chorus needs another guitar part or something to add some interest. I think you could tighten up the track overall by loosing a chorus repeat or something. I like where it's going.

BlueMoonshine
gettin' sounds

Post by BlueMoonshine » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:48 am

This is great stuff -- I'm a huge fan of bands that rock but aren't afraid of great hooks and melody. My only suggestion, listening to this myspace version, would be to bring out the lead vocals a little. Your singer has a great sound and should be up front just a notch more. The layered vocal parts are great -- does anyone else in the band sing to help pull this arrangement off live?

The "oooh ooh oohs" are a great complimentary hook, and great ending to the tune.

Clytor
pluggin' in mics

Post by Clytor » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:22 pm

Thanks for the replies! Right now I just have a limiter on the master fader. The whole album is going to be sent off for mastering once I finish mixing it. Should I use a phase reverse plug-in on the snare tracks or on the overhead tracks or is there another solution to try?

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:53 pm

Vocals need to be louder and thicker (plate or tape delay). Vocals need to be loud, that is what most people connect with.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:53 pm

Last edited by ??????? on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clytor
pluggin' in mics

Post by Clytor » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:44 am

Wait, there is a bass guitar? I am mixing on NS-10s. I have been periodically checking the bass on some regular stereo speakers as I mix. Bass tracks include a mic on a 8X10 cabinet, a tiny bit of DI, and a re-amped track. I fed the DI track through Guitar Rig using the JCM 800 emulator. I can't remember which virtual mic and cabinet I used with it. I mixed them to taste and ran all three through the Vintage Warmer.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:06 am

Clytor wrote:Wait, there is a bass guitar? I am mixing on NS-10s. I have been periodically checking the bass on some regular stereo speakers as I mix. Bass tracks include a mic on a 8X10 cabinet, a tiny bit of DI, and a re-amped track. I fed the DI track through Guitar Rig using the JCM 800 emulator. I can't remember which virtual mic and cabinet I used with it. I mixed them to taste and ran all three through the Vintage Warmer.
:D

Just make sure it doesn't get "too warm" (aka muddy) for your tastes! :D

Clytor
pluggin' in mics

Post by Clytor » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:58 am

I downloaded and installed the Phasetone plug-in. I made Digital Performer crash everytime I opened the program so I had to ditch it. I did a little eq work with the snare and some work on the vocals. I will post when I get it on the web.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:48 am

bummer about the plug. :(

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:10 pm

I'd work a lot on the low end .. try cleaning up the guitar low end and bringing them forward in the mix a bit. A compressor on the guitar buss and an eq taking out some of the extreme low end and bringing up some high mids would make me happier. Sounds like there should more on the sides, not so much in the middle.. are there room mics in the middle, and close mics on the sides?

The kick has probably too much low end and not enough slap for the conventions of the genre. The bass could probably be brought out in the mix by means of getting the DI and mic and reamp in phase, or losing some of them and getting one of them sounding good on its own... I am definately hearing some "dissapearing note" syndrome going on. Maybe more like 700-800 on the bass too would help it stand out without getting too much low end going on.

This is pretty detailed for a myspace listen but hope it helps.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:00 pm

like he said, all just opinions...

I'd start by turning the bass up. no bullshit tricks, just turn it up. Something weird coulda gone on phase wise with all the processing/layering of the bass but whatever the cause, you can't really hear it.

I'd leave the vocals right where they are. maybe thickened a bit but the level is fine - you can hear every word she sings.

I agree there's something weird with the snare. it just sounds like it's far away and muffled. If checking for phase issues doesn't solve it, perhaps just pull down some of the room mics? egad!