Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea

Post by Tragabigzanda » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:15 am

The rain here in Boston these last couple days put me in the mood for some PJ Harvey...

I really like that on "Stories...", all the bottom end is in the guitars and bass; the drums are really punchy, tight, and mid-rangey, but there's still some serious rumble to this record, mostly coming from her electric guitar! Not a common mix at all; anyone else notice this, or have any examples of the same sound on another recording?
Alex C. McKenzie

bhmcc
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bhmcc » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:57 am

I noticed this too!!! The mix is very listenable even on really crappy speakers. Incidentally, I'm a huge PJ fan and that this is probably my favorite record of hers.

The best thing about all of PJ's stuff is that the mix rarely ever matters. Can't wait until October 2nd!

Brett

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:15 am

*waiting for Polly Jean to ditch the Donna Summer routine, pick up a guitar again and actually ROCK*

I've been incredibly bored with everything since Rid Of Me.

bhmcc
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bhmcc » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:32 am

subatomic pieces wrote:*waiting for Polly Jean to ditch the Donna Summer routine, pick up a guitar again and actually ROCK*

I've been incredibly bored with everything since Rid Of Me.
Interesting, I listen to PJ a lot and own (I think) all of her stuff but I listen to Rid of Me the least. I know, I know, it's what everyone considers her 'break-through' album, but I guess I feel she got more interesting (and wrote better songs) as she progressed. I think I even listen to Dry more often than Rid of Me.

But?to each his own. I'll have to push Rid of Me back into heavy rotation again ? maybe I?ll experience some ?rediscovery?.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:37 am

Man, I think that "Uh Huh Her' has the best sound of them all; dry. dark, big, and with a lot of open space; I can really get lost in it...
Alex C. McKenzie

bhmcc
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bhmcc » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:05 am

Tragibigzanda wrote:Man, I think that "Uh Huh Her' has the best sound of them all; dry. dark, big, and with a lot of open space; I can really get lost in it...
Agreed - I've spent a lot of time with that one. Uh Huh Her is definitely her darkest sounding record with The Peel Sessions ending up on the opposite end of the spectrum.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:31 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:*waiting for Polly Jean to ditch the Donna Summer routine, pick up a guitar again and actually ROCK*
there's a lot of pretty rocking guitar on 'stories...'

i really like that record, despite the way crushed mastering job courtesy of mr weinberg. was interesting to note that 'uh hh her' was a good 3db quieter...

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:12 pm

Love it too, despite all of the clicks from the mastering.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:52 am

it's most noticeable on 'whore's hustle...' those poor guitars!

DGoody
gettin' sounds

Post by DGoody » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:40 am

That's funny because I love the songs on Stories, but I think the mixes suck. I think it's her worst sounding record by far.......