Pop Goes The World

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

atomduul
audio school

Pop Goes The World

Post by atomduul » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:06 pm

So, this is my first post, after years of subscribing to Tape-Op and a year or so of reading this board almost every day.
Why is not "Pop Goes The World" by Men Without Hats ever mentioned here?
Pop at its most complexingly, lyrically, oddly, nonsensically, (non)conceptualingly greatest moment in history. Maybe only behind "Spilt Milk" by Jellyfish...Maybe, but maybe not.

Any love for a masterpiece realized in a haze of eighties MTV crap?

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Indeed, it is a pop masterpiece.

Men Without Hats is one of those underrated bands that sadly got pinned for their one global hit, Safety Dance. From what I've read, this was the result of bad management and shady record contracts and everything happening way too fast for them, yet they have so many great tracks spanning over 6 studio albums. The production alone on their debut LP "Rhythm of Youth" ('82) is outstanding and the songs are infectious. While 'Pop Goes the World' is not my favorite of theirs, it's still brilliant and has some outstanding tracks on it. I do prefer the much older tracks before they became famous, like 'Antarctica', 'Security', 'Freeways', etc., also "I Like" is I believe what would have been the second single following Safety Dance.

As for live shows, probably one of the best acts I've ever seen, insane high-energy wall-of-sound, you can see many of their famous 1985 show at the Spectrum in Montreal on youtube.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:48 pm

I worked inna college bar when they was big; I know nothing about them outside the videos and "Safety Dance", what I can still sing by rote.

Some years back I got re-introduced to Talk Talk by the TapeOp Phil Brown interviews, and I accepted their genius.

Doya's think MWH is at that level worthy of re-discovery?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:53 am

I always sort of dug those guys but never dove into their catalog. Maybe I will now.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC