Under the Covers Vol. 1

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JASIII
george martin

Under the Covers Vol. 1

Post by JASIII » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:07 pm

Anyone else get this disc? It's Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs covering 60's tunes. It's not bad. Some sort of obscure covers on there too. I was most impressed that Matthew Sweet engineered and mixed the whole thing at his home studio, as well as playing bass and guitars on everything, oh and most of the leads are played by Richard Lloyd! 'Cinnamon Girl' was not the best choice of songs though, way too up on the beat, not back like Crazy Horse played it. Overall, I'd give it a solid 'B'. And Susanna Hoffs is still hot as hell.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Ryan Ferris
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ryan Ferris » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Yeah, I'm a big Matthew Sweet fan and I got it. I listen to it quite often but the mix is kind of strange. SUPER loud vox and on some songs it's really distracting to me. Like on "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" you can hear some significant ducking on the music when Susanna's vocals are at their loudest. Maybe if it hadn't been mastered so hot it wouldn't be as bad. Still, it's a very enjoyable listen for me overall. I really like the Love cover and the Beach Boys one too.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:00 pm

Good album. I like the song choices a lot. I really like the recordings as well. It's mastered super hot, but I think it's nice.

It would be nice if there was a volume two coming out with weird 70's songs on it.

Ian

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:41 am

Yeah, I noticed it's sort of hot and crispy sometimes. Apparently Matthew Sweet likes his own vox very 'close up' sounding, because they sound right at the front of my speakers, whereas Hoffs' vox sit back a little, at least by comparison. I'm waiting for Vol.2 also.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:39 am

Great song choices, IMO. Matthew Sweet's been doing his own engineering for his last couple solo albums and I really like how they sound. A little rough around the edges, but that was a lot of what attracted me to Girlfriend back in the day...

My faves are "I See the Rain" and "Care of Cell #44." I'd love a Volume 2 with some of the teenie bopper death ballads from the mid-70's. I guess I'd like anyone to come out with that, though.

According to his myspace page, there's a new Matthew Sweet solo record coming out early next year. That should be fun...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:31 am

I have it, but don't really like it.

It just seems kind of booring?

This from a guy who buys all of Lloyd's solo records found.

I think Girlfriend is a masterpiece, but to me, nothing else he has done has come close.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Re: Under the Covers Vol. 1

Post by nacho459 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:31 am

JASIII wrote:And Susanna Hoffs is still hot as hell.
Yep I mixed monitors at one of their LA shows about a year and a half ago. Susanna is a sweetheart. I dig the CD, nothing to write home about, but I let my bartender borrow it and I think he's gonna throw it in the jukebox.