PJ Harvey: "Grow Grow Grow" (Live Video) WOW!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

PJ Harvey: "Grow Grow Grow" (Live Video) WOW!

Post by SoulOfJonas » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZON2rv5XKzo

I just saw this on PitchForkMedia, so I assume at least a few other people on here have seen it too, but this is one of those things i instantly wanted to share with anyone and everyone.

I've always respected but never really been a fan of PJ Harvey. After watching this, though, I'm definitely gonna have to dig into her catalog way more. Can anyone suggest a good place to start?

-JV
John Valencia - Freelance audio-recorder-mixer guy
-One East Recording (Matt Wells)
-Melody Lanes (Jay Braun)

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:59 am

She is so amazing. I just re-purchased Rid of Me two days ago. Thanks for this.

PS - Moog Taurus Pedals and Autoharp!?!??! Holy shit!!!
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:16 am

C'mon... does the world really need another talented, creative, sexy, big voiced, impossible to pigeon-hole, integrity-filled artist?

She's definitely on my "I wish I were that person" list (above Steven Gerrard, just under Joe Strummer and Andy Goldsworthy). She got soul.

dr.ona
takin' a dinner break

Post by dr.ona » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:26 am

Wow!
It's strange...I've always known she was talented and I've only heard a couple of her songs. I just ordered my first cd of hers last week. I'm kinda of late bloomer with her....
And on a side note...
I think she is soooo sexy. :)
"My 75 jazz bass turned me into a hunchback"

madtho
steve albini likes it

Re: PJ Harvey: "Grow Grow Grow" (Live Video) WOW!

Post by madtho » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:17 pm

SoulOfJonas wrote:Can anyone suggest a good place to start?
The folks that love her first two albums think she started sucking at 'To bring you my love'. So if you like her now, I'd start there and work up to now, then go back to Dry and Rid of me (and 4-track demos).

I think she took an amazing leap forward at TBYML, sustained but changed with 'Is this desire?' and keeps growing/changing with each successive. I'd skip Dancehall at Louse Point, it's not really a PJ Harvey album, it's alright, but it kind of diverts the flow of the straight-up PJ albums.

I'm sort of ready to cringe at this new one, but I'm happy to be wrong.

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

Joe P.
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Joe P. » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:41 am

As an avowed fan of Ms. Harvey, these are my faves: Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea; To Bring You My Love; 4-Track Demos; Is This Desire?

Probably in that order too. Her live tour DVD 'Please Leave Quietly' is fantastic as well, minus Josh Klinghoffer's stage histrionics.

HeadHeavy
audio school graduate

Post by HeadHeavy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm

Her New album is amazing! I've been a longtime fan as well, and its cool to see she went with a different sound and style this time time around. Unique, yet very cohesive as an album. Sounds like sad, bluesy tinged songs sung by a ghost.
Just dry it up a little bit and add some reverb...use echo instead of delay...put some more presence on at about 200Hz....you know what I want.

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:50 pm

The folks that love her first two albums think she started sucking at 'To bring you my love'.
I love her first two albums (Dry is probably my favorite) but I think she has stayed consistently great since.

To the original poster: If you like the song in that video, you might also check out Uh Huh Her, as that one has a few songs with the same quiet, haunting feel -- but also a few of the old-style rockers too to give you a taste of that side.

I am not quite sure what to think about the new one yet. It's beautiful, but also genuinely creepy... I'm not sure yet whether I think that's a good thing.

HeadHeavy
audio school graduate

Post by HeadHeavy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:42 pm

austin wrote:
I am not quite sure what to think about the new one yet. It's beautiful, but also genuinely creepy... I'm not sure yet whether I think that's a good thing.
creepy..oh yes...creepy is always good. Is it just me or is
"dark" music always more captivating?
Just dry it up a little bit and add some reverb...use echo instead of delay...put some more presence on at about 200Hz....you know what I want.

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:22 pm

shes got one of those voices that makes ur hare stand up on the back of ur neck, real original... common billy is probly the song i like most from her
is it beer 30 yet?????

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:46 am

At first, I noticed how sloppy and out of tune the autoharp sounded, but then she opened her mouth and I totally forgot.

However, I was very surprised to hear her voice with such a heavy amount of delay and reverb. The ambience on that vocal would rival the Cocteau Twins. Does the whole album sound like this?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:22 pm

fek, she is so feking awesome. i totally want her.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:30 pm

This new PJ record is really great. I love challenging artists. Totally inspiring.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

bitsyras
pluggin' in mics

Post by bitsyras » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Chills. I've loved her since I first heard her. Years ago I was listening to PJ Harvey when I very nearly drove into a herd of elk that bounded up onto a lonely Colorado road. One of those perfect indelible moments. There's a certain dark shade of mood that only she can bring out. Sometimes I like to hang out there. Sometimes not.

aghaller8
pluggin' in mics

Post by aghaller8 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:17 pm

Yeah. Beautiful. Her new record is right on, haunting like a good short story. Eerie, sort of thing that make the roomates wonder about you.

And Jim White is on it, c'mon.

Check her out on Mark Lanegan's Bubblegum, and Nick Cave's Murder Ballads.
Time held me green and dying though I sang in my chains like the sea.
-Dylan Thomas