Busy Mix, need help.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

canoe
audio school graduate

Busy Mix, need help.

Post by canoe » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:44 pm

I'm getting near my deadline to have this project mixed and this is the only song that doesn't feel right on the album. It just seems too busy and also too hollow at the same time.

Any suggestions to remedy this mix will be very helpful.

http://www.songsofcanoe.com/mixing/Mix2 ... Sept27.mp3

Thanks
my home studio is more indie than your home studio. | myspace

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:11 pm

Great sounds! I think what I would want to hear is maybe the drums not so spread in the mix and some other elements like the fiddle and some backing vocals panned harder to give the lead vocal some space. Maybe even roll off a little around 3k on the backing vocals to soften them a bit compared to the lead. But then again, maybe not. :wink:

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:07 pm

I think its the hihat that is sounding a bit fizzley. I just listened on tiny speakers so I can't so much though, sorry.
Let me mix your music!
http://www.sfrecording.com

BlueMoonshine
gettin' sounds

Post by BlueMoonshine » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:54 am

I like this tune -- checked out the band's myspace. I dig it.

Nice sounds here -- it doesn't sound "busy" to me, but I might give you "hollow."

First thoughts, the mix seems to lean to the right, with the fiddle and the backing vox living there.

As opposed to kinger, I'm inclined to bring the backing vocals up a little versus softening them, but do agree with the panning suggestion -- maybe bringing them to the left of the mix for balance with the fiddle.

I don't think you're as far off as you think you are. Nice stuff, says me.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:19 am

Yeah, great tune. You're maybe 95% there. I think I wanna hear a bit more of the backup vocals. I'm listening on tiny speakers now, so the hats are definitely sizzly, and I'm not too sure what the kick is doing - but that may be an artifact of the shit speakers I'm on now.

canoe
audio school graduate

Post by canoe » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:15 am

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I'll be working with the panning of the accompaniments for this track. I'm also hoping that mastering will add a little shimmer and 'life' into the mix, but again, you can't expect mastering to fix everything.

Thanks again.
my home studio is more indie than your home studio. | myspace

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:16 pm

I like it.

I know this isn't a real big rock n roll song, but I'd still like to hear a bit more kick. It's very far back in the mix. It works for the snare, but maybe a little contrast. Close up kick, and far away snare. I'm listening on a decent hi-fi, and the kick gets lost in the mix a lot.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York