Van Halen reunion reports?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Van Halen reunion reports?

Post by EasyGo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:45 am

Anybody see any of the early Van Halen reunion shows? Wouldn't mind shelling out the dough for tickets if the reports are good.

I did a search but couldn't find any posts.

Thanks!

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:25 am

the drummer in the band i play in saw the first show in charlotte, nc, and said it was pretty great. he said eddie was loud and shredding, and that alex was kicking ass and seemingly having a lot of fun. he said the harmonies were good, and now that i think of it, i don't remember what he said about DLR. Of course, he's coming with the rest of our band to see them in Kansas City on the 26th, so it must have been pretty good. I must say I'm pretty excited. I just hope they stay together that long.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:59 am

crow wrote:I just hope they stay together that long.
Yeah, they will.

I heard that the Philly shows were really great, too. It's great to see them actually touring again with Dave. I mean, it's like 11 yrs too late in some ways, but still a great thing.

I kind of wish, as a trip down nostalgia lane, that I saw them with Dave. But jamz and parachute pants and Friday Night Video Fights are long gone, too, and I must move on.
Ahhhh... 5th grade VH memories.
Last edited by Jeff White on Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:55 am

Just shelled out $93 per ticket to see VH at the United Center in Chicago next Thursday. I saw a pic online somewhere showing DLR and EVH looking healthy and shirtless, a far cry from the disturbing award show photos from before he went to rehab.

Better be good, I'm wetting myself!

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 am

EasyGo wrote:Just shelled out $93 per ticket to see VH at the United Center in Chicago next Thursday. I saw a pic online somewhere showing DLR and EVH looking healthy and shirtless, a far cry from the disturbing award show photos from before he went to rehab.

Better be good, I'm wetting myself!
They better look happy and healthy. At $93/ticket, they sure are eating well these days!

Alex still looks like he's 40.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:05 pm

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:24 pm

ipressrecord wrote:At $93/ticket, they sure are eating well these days!
I tell ya. Floor seats are over $160 per ticket. I guess it's the 'hell freezes over' factor.

Little Wolfgang Van Halen better be able to harmonize his nuts off, just like Michael Anthony. He was the most underrated member of the band.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:31 pm

EasyGo wrote: Little Wolfgang Van Halen better be able to harmonize his nuts off, just like Michael Anthony. He was the most underrated member of the band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-HyGTa8 ... ed&search=

I found out why he was kicked out.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:34 pm

I know a few people who saw the first show in Charlotte and said it was awesome.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:14 am

Check this, and the related links; looking and sounding good!

And the motorcycle impression is so, eh, Dave.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:37 am

my friend in chicago could get tix and i very nearly paid $170 + plane fare...in the end i just couldn't justify it...but dammit i wanna see them.

for laughs i checked out two front row center seats for their show here in boston...5 grand EACH. hhhmmm...pay rent for two years or go see eddie and alex?

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:01 am

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:30 am

so last night i got a bootleg of the philadelphia show...the sound quality suxxx, but they are playing well. dave is taking some pretty huge liberties with all the vocal melodies and phrasing, but it's good. basically he's treating the tunes as standards. the harmonies were a little spotty and wolfie hits some clangers on bass, but overall i was pretty impressed. eddie is still the only guy who can play guitar Like That and have it sound like Music....

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:31 pm

Lost on side
gettin' sounds

Post by Lost on side » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:50 pm

leigh wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXbCt_1mrak

A rough night for Eddie?
That is a brilliant joke!