Using Monitors for everday use a bad idea?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

DMT
studio intern

Using Monitors for everday use a bad idea?

Post by DMT » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:35 pm

Is it a bad idea to use a pair of monitors for everyday use? I replaced my muddy computer speakers with a pair of Rokit RP5 monitors, and my music (mp3s) sound alot clearer. I am concerned that if use these monitors everyday that it will affect mixing recordings. One of my freinds who is a receording engineer urged me to use a specific set of heads phones only for mixing and not everyday use, warning me that it would make it harder to mix if I got desensitized to those particular headphones. I assume the same applies to monitor speakers. Any comments?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:40 pm

Heh? Seems backwards to me, I always thought the more familiar you are with your monitors and with what well-produced music sounds like on them, the better you would be able to mix on them.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Re: Using Monitors for everday use a bad idea?

Post by kdarr » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:43 pm

DMT wrote:Is it a bad idea to use a pair of monitors for everyday use? I replaced my muddy computer speakers with a pair of Rokit RP5 monitors, and my music (mp3s) sound alot clearer. I am concerned that if use these monitors everyday that it will affect mixing recordings. One of my freinds who is a receording engineer urged me to use a specific set of heads phones only for mixing and not everyday use, warning me that it would make it harder to mix if I got desensitized to those particular headphones. I assume the same applies to monitor speakers. Any comments?
Absolutely untrue, I don't know where your friend got that idea. If anything, listening to other music on your reference system will allow you to make more accurate comparisons between your favorite music and the mixes that you make.

The only way you'd get "desensitized" is by playing music too loud for too long a period of time. Critical listening requires breaktime.

[<|>]

DMT
studio intern

Post by DMT » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:13 pm

Well thats good... I was getting sick of my crap as PC speakers... they are so muddy. I was worried....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:11 pm

I used a pair of Alesis M1 Active MK2 monitors for almost five years every day. For about 8 months in 2006 they were on almost 24/7. iTunes, Digital Performer, web streams, etc. Although I don't recommend the monitors (I now use NS-10Ms), those Alesis monitors never gave me a single problem after years and years of use. And to think that I turned them on with a powerstrip all of that time as well.

Built like tanks. Too bad they sounded like tanks, too!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:15 pm

The only warning I'd have is that you could really tire out your ears listening to monitors day in and day out. Esp at your computer where you're listening to compressed MP3s and streaming audio and horrible YouTube audio all day. You might be better off just getting a nice pair of used consumer hi-fi speakers and an inexpensive amp.

DMT
studio intern

Post by DMT » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:16 pm

Tire my ears out how? Don't Monitors just reproduce sound more accurately than regular speakers? Would having a broader frequency response tire my ears out? How does listening to lower quality music (compressed) strain the ears? The reason is ask is because my main computer is what I use for recording and mixing, so these speakers are in place, its a shame not to use them, especailly if they sound good.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:16 pm

I listen through my monitors all the time, but I have to consciously switch on my listening attention though when I go to mixing. I don't know if that makes sense. It is just cause I always have music going and it's like moving from the ho-hum of all that I am doing to putting on my game face...if that is not a stupid enough analogy. I guess otherwise, I'm kinda lazy with my EQing and panning.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:54 pm

Duration and volume being equal, I'm sure the ear strain would be lower when listening on good speakers that aren't distorting than on crappy speakers that are.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

DMT
studio intern

Post by DMT » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:18 pm

I would LOVE to find a nice 70's component HI-FI system and a nice pair of speakers, and a nice turntable.... There is nothing better in my mind... they just don't make em like they used to. I need to start going to garage sales....

gotpop
pluggin' in mics

Post by gotpop » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:39 pm

A successful mix engineer once told me he bought FIFTY pairs of NS10ms when he found out they were going to be discontinued, and he uses them for all his listening--Home stereo, television, computer, and of course, in the studio.

DMT
studio intern

Post by DMT » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:55 pm

nice

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:04 pm

DMT wrote:I would LOVE to find a nice 70's component HI-FI system and a nice pair of speakers, and a nice turntable.... There is nothing better in my mind... they just don't make em like they used to. I need to start going to garage sales....
I highly recommend Yamaha NS-6490 speakers. They are modern 3-way hi-fi speakers that are about $100/pair and sound great. As in, listening to any of your favorite records on them, especially through a 1970s Hi-Fi setup, will sound gorgeous. For receivers I have a 1969 Sansui and a 1976 Pioneer SX-650. I paid $30 each for them from a friend who used to constantly go to garage sales and flea markets. Both of them w/ the NS-6490s sound great, but the Pioneer is my favorite of the two.
gotpop wrote:A successful mix engineer once told me he bought FIFTY pairs of NS10ms when he found out they were going to be discontinued, and he uses them for all his listening--Home stereo, television, computer, and of course, in the studio.
WOW! He definitely doubled his investment.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord