Evelyn Glennie

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Evelyn Glennie

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:58 pm

I just got done watching "Touch The Sound: A Sound Journey With Evelyn Glennie." Has anyone else seen this or into her music? She's one of the first musicians I've ever heard describe music in the terms in which I experience it. Wholly amazing movie, and really, really inspirational music.

I'm definitely getting her collaboration with Fred Frith. Any other recommendations?

xpulsar
pushin' record

Post by xpulsar » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:14 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed some of thw music I heard on her web page.

-collin

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:44 am

She's pretty amazing. Haven't seen that documentary.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:35 am

The drummer of my band recently performed with her as one of her percusionists up in Bellingham. he described her as phenomenal (and Bad-Ass)

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:25 pm

I spun one of her tracks on WXDU today, along with (the audio portion of) a 25 minute presentation she gave at a conference describing how to hear with your body.

Man o man.

I would totally recommend the DVD (Touch the Sound) to anyone into ambient and improvisational music. The cinematography is awesome. The pacing is glacial. I was able to slow down and enjoy it, in part because the cinematography is so fabulous. But it might not be for people who like whambamthankyamaam.

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:21 pm

I saw the documentary with my father and I blew both of us away. I highly recommend it. My father is not a music person, but he loved it.

duffield
audio school

Post by duffield » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:36 pm

I must say.....this was probably the best Christmas present I got last year.....can't even count how many times I've watched this.

I know she can "feel" the sound, but I really hope she has some idea of how beautiful she sounds...