Latest mix: "Rebound Girl" (Powerpop)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

gotpop
pluggin' in mics

Latest mix: "Rebound Girl" (Powerpop)

Post by gotpop » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:30 pm

Happy day-after-Thanksgiving!

I just finished my latest (and probably best-yet) mix of a song that'll be going on my first CD. It's called ""Rebound Girl", and I'd love to find out what you think of the song and my mix.

The basic tracks (drums, guitar, bass, piano, bvox, all me) were recorded at Tiny Telephone by Justin Phelps (on 2" tape), I added synths, lead vocals, and did the mix myself in Logic at home (on a pair of Minimus 7s). I'm fortunate to have started with great source material, but I'm no expert, so...

What I'd really like to know is: a) does this sound like a proper mix (i.e., not amateurish), and b) Should I leave it "as is" or keep trying to refine it.

Here's the page: http://www.myspace.com/gotpop

-Steven

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:23 pm

It sounds like a real mix to me... Being on myspace, it's hard for me to comment on eq, but levels and the like sound good. My only gripe is the drum fill going into the second verse. Maybe most wouldn't notice it, but I can clearly hear an obvious edit coming out of that fill. When I do stuff like that, I like to put a crash on the one beat of the first measure of the second verse, after the fill, thus marrying the two sections better, in the listeners mind... Otherwise, sounds great, and it's a catchy tune, too...

gotpop
pluggin' in mics

Post by gotpop » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks for checking it out. Anybody else have any thoughts on this one?

I'm also wondering if there's anything I can do to make the vocals sound "more modern" (in terms of the way it's EQ'd, compressed, etc.)

-Steven