Best of 2007

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mjau
speech impediment

Best of 2007

Post by mjau » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:20 pm

Still have another month before 2007 wraps up, but what, so far, have you loved that came out this year? Was it a great year for new music, or a not so great year?

A few things that came out in 07 that saw lots of spins for me were:

Will Oldham, The Letting Go...I was floored the first time I heard this
Beastie Boys, The Mix Up...classic Beastie's / Money Mark instrumental goodness
Phonograph...cool full length and ep from Toaster3000 and friends
Earlimart, Mentor Tormentor...totally not disappointed by one of my favorite bands following up on an earlier amazing album

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:24 pm

here is the list i did for a comp on A DIFFERENT MESSAGEBOARD. no so much chosen for best albums... i considered songs/albums/movements/genre and so on.

1. Boom. Devin the Dude. Yea, a skit! In Three parts! Certainly the best skit of 2007. the Devin the Dude album has all sorts of "musician insider" jokes in it. A whole song dedicated to "engineers in the studio". This skit is great, a prank call to a Guitar Center or something. And what a great way to pad out the "best of" comp!

2. 200007. Modeselektor. Ok, mostly I did this to be cute. But shit, c'mon. Also, its in French. And Germans did the music. Who could resist. Actually its a good album too. Best? Prolly, but at the bottom of a best of list.

3. Impeach the President. Green Lantern. Again, I did this more to be cute and topical. Ok, its a great song, and will scream 2007 for all time. However, its nothing groundbreaking. Mostly, its interesting that Hip Hop is just about the only genre where you can be explicitly political without sounding dumb. I mean, what is it about Hip Hop that makes it that you can have a political song that you can dance to?

4. Boom II. Devin the Dude. Same phone call.... this shit cracks me up.

5. I Got It From My Moma. Will I Am. Yeap. That song. This song rules. Anyone who doesn't like this song is a H8TR. Just a great pop tune. Awesomely stupidly brilliant concept, like all great pop songs.

6. Sun Shower. Busdriver. Token cross over Hip Hop/ROCK song. I love cross over songs! From the familiar lyrical genre of "art school sucks". I really like this record, not sure if this is the best song, but whatever. Its catchy. The rest of the record is great and has a great variety, and as opposed to getting more and more annoyed with his over stylized vocals, you get used to them. Nice "now sounding" Hip Hop. I put the whole record up somewhere on tirades.

7. Boom III. The least funny one!

8. Broccoli and Cheese. Devin the Dude. Yea, most of his songs are funny. This one is sort of transcendently funny. Like just a great lyrical funny hook. Rest of the record is just a solid solid Hip Hop record. Nothing groundbreaking just solid. Funny. Dirty. NSFW.

9. Adaptacao. Ohmega Watts. PORTLAND HIP HOP! Hey, just a pretty solid record, this is not the "best song". I just like it. Nice sort of backwards looking Hip Hop record. Lots and lots of live instruments and live DJing. C'mon PORTLAND HIP HOP! Who can resist! Anyway, since the record doesn't really settle in a style its a really great "all the way thru" sort of party album.

10. Rother. Dinger. You and Me. by Antiguo Automata Mexicano. Pretty nice and classy sounding electronic album. Guy is part of the growing Mexican electronic scene. I think Mexico is gonna be a great international music making center soon enough. Worth picking up this record if you like minimal, dubby sounding electronic.

11. Dakota. DJ Klock. Theoretically Hip Hop, to me it just sounds more generally "electronic". But Japanese sort of minimal music. I like it. His whole record has this great COLD vibe that I am into these days. Cold, intellectual music is BACK. I say.

12. Thousand. radicalfasion. More Japanese electronic music. I guess this guy sort of considers himself electronic avant or something. More intellectual coldness from Japan. Who wouldn't like it?

13. Tragedy. Rafter. Back to the "New American Weird", which is kinda my favorite branch of Indie right now. I really like this whole Rafter record. Its got that cold vibe i like, deconstructed. Sort of LOST. Which to me is very honest American music. Like what music should we be making now? Might as well communicate that lostness, the unrooted nature of 2007. Also, great "sounds" on this song and the record.

14. What they said. Skeletons And The Kings Of All Cities. More "New American Weird". OBERLIN REPRESENT! Just a fun sort of all over the place and totally messy record. This song being a good one.. the longer ones are fun too. Some 11, 17 minutes songs in there.

15. Zozobra. A Hawk And A Hacksaw And The Hun Hang?r Ensemble. Yea, the drummer for Neutral Milk Hotel pulls a "Peter Gabriel" with some Hungarians. Still, its a great record. Lots of just amazing musicians... um. kinda like Mr. Gabriel. I dunno why, I suppose there is something different about "discovering" Hungarians. Avoids the "look at these brown people I found" kind of pandering that bugs me about a lot of this kind of music.

16. "My Sword Hand's Anger". Apostle of Hustle. Really, its just a great name for a song. Oh, and a great song. The album is nothing special, although a pretty decently solid rock record. No one will ever be BLOW AWAY by this record. But still, this is a really solid song that's been running thru my head since I got the record.

17. Devil's A-Go-Go. Blitzen Trapper. PORTLAND! Hey! Anyway, yea, I really like this record. Even though its not entirely SOLID. Its just a nice rock record, that mixes roots music in a very natural way. Hipster indie roots? Sounds just painful, but this band just sounds very young and full of, uh, youth? Like they just discovered this stuff. Verve.

19. Forever Heavy. Black Moth Super Rainbow. This whole record is pretty nutz. Sort of drippy heavy synth psych. All vocoder. All recorded lo-fi and live. Its a great sort of record all the way thru. I like how they really pull out the bombast on the record. Like there is strong hint of Synergy and other 70's "hard moog" kinda sound to it. Which is a pretty new and fun thing to throw into the mix. Give the record a fun looking backward/looking WAY backward/looking forward vibe.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:10 pm

best albums of 2007? ughh. not much really knocked me out but my favorite albums this year were:

Neurosis - "Given to the Rising"

Grails - "Burning Off Impurities"

The Bad Plus - "Prog"

Cephalic Carnage - "Xenosapien"

Radiohead - "In Rainbows"

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:17 pm

pinback - autumn of the seraphs

earlimart - mentor tormentor

radiohead - in rainbows

band of horses - cease to begin

of montreal- hissing fauna..

probably more...

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:49 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:Grails - "Burning Off Impurities"
I'm partial to this one. :D

It's sad how little time I had to listen to music outside of my projects this year. Did like the new Stars of the Lid record pretty well, though.
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:21 pm

New Sharon Jones rules. New Fiery Furnaces is really good.

A lot of stuff I liked this year was rereleases. Carolina Funk is a really tight release: http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=s2h9k8cprv

lapsteel
pushin' record

Re: Best of 2007

Post by lapsteel » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:29 pm

mjau wrote:Will Oldham, The Letting Go...I was floored the first time I heard this
That was 2006, but still great.

Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
Joe Purdy - Take My Blanket and Go
Rooney - Calling the World
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away

Of course, I probably have some others I'm not thinking of. By the way, great topic.

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:47 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:A lot of stuff I liked this year was rereleases.
Which reminds me of the Neil Young at Massey Hall record. Not quite a re-issue, but not quite a new record. Still, came out in '07 and is great.
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

Colin F.
gettin' sounds

Post by Colin F. » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:03 pm

[quote6. Sun Shower. Busdriver. Token cross over Hip Hop/ROCK song. I love cross over songs! From the familiar lyrical genre of "art school sucks". I really like this record, not sure if this is the best song, but whatever. Its catchy. The rest of the record is great and has a great variety, and as opposed to getting more and more annoyed with his over stylized vocals, you get used to them. Nice "now sounding" Hip Hop. I put the whole record up somewhere on tirades. [/quote]

If you like Busdriver you should check out the Toca record (he appears on it on the tracks "Hearts and Gold" and another old track called "Jazzy Girl" that is super funny but I'm not sure that it ever was released).

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 8&s=143441

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:34 am

Really only released in the US this year, but the new Junior Senior was my favorite. Tons of fun. Didn't buy a lot this year though. -(hris
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:06 am

Josh Ritter - The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter
Darkest Hour - Deliver Us
John Vanderslice - Emerald City

sure there's more but no coffee yet...
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:52 am

Yeasayer's All Hour Cymbals has been a slight addiction over the past few weeks.

Spoon, Angels Of Light, Beirut. Witchcraft can just keep pumping out the same songs and I will still enjoy them.

Don't miss these if you haven't heard:

http://top40.about.com/od/top10lists/tp/2007albums.htm

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:10 am

Caribou - Andorra
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Apostle of Hustle - The National Anthem Of Nowhere
Broken Social Scene Presents Kevin Drew - Spirit If...
Field Music - Tones of Town
Cat Power - The Greatest (I know I know... 2006, but I got it a month ago!!!)
Feist - The Reminder
Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends
PJ Harvey - White Chalk
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Thurston Moore - Trees Outside The Academy

Oh yeah, and that new Wilco record is good, though I'm sure that 50 people will come out of the wood work ad re-re-re-debate this and hijack this thread.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:15 am

Dr. Dog - We All Belong

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
Dungen - Tio Bitar (I think it was called that)
Thurston - Trees Outside the Academy
Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond
Spoon - Ga x 5
Baby Grandmothers - s/t (reissue, but yeah ...)
Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity

The most new music I've bought in a really really long time!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:18 am

bedbug wrote: Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity
I forgot that one! Great record, amazing guitar tones!

Also, Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna is a great record though I have a hard time listening to it all the way through because it just sounds like it was done completely in Reason. Call me an ass. But it's a strong record song-wise.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord