Favourite guitar solos...and why

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:44 am

The Edge's solo on U2's 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' - Screaming solo using a very economical open string figure. Really brings home the urgency of the track. Also love the great major chord harmonics in the chorus.

Luther Perkins' solo on Johnny Cash's 'Folsom Prison Blues' - Such a simple track, but Luther's tasteful licks inspire a fit of air guitar every time.

Jimi Hendrix's solo on 'House Burning Down' - Insane, fuzzed out tone and hysterical phrasing paired with Eddie Kramer's tape phasing brings across the fire referenced in the lyrics.

Eddie Van Halen 'Cathedral' - Although Eddie is remembered for his incendiary, light-speed hammer-ons and pull-offs, he was quite a tasteful guitarist. I thought this was a keyboard for years, until a kid in my college dorm showed me what Eddie was doing.

Chet Atkins 'Theme From a Dream' - One of the finest pieces of guitar music ever recorded, by anyone, ever. The harmonics in the final verse nearly bring me to tears every time.

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:52 pm

christiannokes wrote:Ooooh and every solo I have ever heard of CCR I loved
The bonus live version of Susie Q (at the Fillmore) on the 1st album reissue kills me every time.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

radkins
audio school graduate

Post by radkins » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:19 pm

Ace Frehley/Kiss 100,000 Years.

Because it is awesome.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:07 am

Michio Kurihara of Ghost/Boris fame played a really good one on this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQSLhrU ... re=related

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Isn't it awesome when you're listening to a guitar break and when the singer comes back in you can tell by the way he/she is singing that the solo was sooo good it inspired them to push their performance?

I am thinking specifically about the solo by Peter Green in "Your Funeral, My Trial" by the Bluebreakers, When John Mayall starts singing after the break you can tell he was floored by what he just heard (Or maybe that's a harmonica solo...I haven't listened to it in some time). It's when he sings the line about loving his baby and seeing her when he can. Total joy.
dehumidified

christiannokes
steve albini likes it

Post by christiannokes » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:51 pm

I feel you

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:47 am

Steve Vai.

For The Love Of God.

Wow.

It inspires me still to this day. It is like looking at the Sun, without getting blindness.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Post by IDQ » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:18 pm

I think at least one person has already mentioned Dave Navarro, but I didn't read all ten pages of responses.

Pretty much every solo on "Nothing's Shocking" rips, but especially the second solo on "Ocean Size."

It's got the right blend of mastery without wanking, and soul without too much repetition.

And I agree with everyone who said Hendrix. As in pretty much every note he ever played.

Jettison
gettin' sounds

Post by Jettison » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:15 pm

John Vanderslice on "Fetal Horses" from Romanian Names. Accidental by design. Probably the shortest guitar "solo" in history. He makes no bones about mocking the very idea of guitar soloing with a guitar solo. F'ing perfect. Just my two bits.
You traded the Cadillac for a microphone?