Favourite guitar solos...and why

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JimboJOnes
audio school

Post by JimboJOnes » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:08 pm

Clay Walker "What's it to you". One of my students wanted to learn it so I transcribed it for them. I had never heard it (Not into country so much) but it turned out to be one of the most fun lead breaks to play IMO. Dunno the name of the guitarist, though.

The Scorpions "Arizona" always struck me as pleasant. The ascending run right near the end of the solo is tops. I think Mathias Jabs gets the high-hat a lot because he came after Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker. Those are some pretty hefty boots to fill for anyone.

I like Alex Lifeson's playing but I generally don't think much of him as a lead player. That said - "Jacob's Ladder", "Subdivisions" and "Limelight" all have VERY tasty solos.

I know it's popular to hate on Yngwie - but if you're feelin' shreddy the "Far Beyond The Sun" solo has yet to be outdone. - Even by Yngwie.

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:51 pm

MichaelAlan wrote:Killer queen. I don't know why, I just love it.
Hell Yes ! Totally creamy, thick tone. I used to try to get that sound, but then realized I needed to build a guitar out of a chair first...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:26 am

johnny7 wrote:
Hell Yes ! Totally creamy, thick tone. I used to try to get that sound, but then realized I needed to build a guitar out of a chair first...
I think it was a fireplace mantle.

The Killer Queen solo is three parts. Brilliant too.[/i]

saint360
alignin' 24-trk

Post by saint360 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:18 pm

My most favorite guitar solo of all time is the longer second solo on Yo La Tengo's "Pablo & Andrea". The song itself is fantastic, and by the time it gets to that solo, the hair on the back of my neck always stands up, no matter how many times I have listened to it in the more than 12 years I have owned that CD. Everyone must listen to this song at least once in their life.

I am not a big guitar solo guy either, but I share a real appreciation with a previous poster of Mark Knopfler's guitar solos, love Hendrix's stuff of course, am consistently impressed by the solos in Fleetwood Mac songs, and agree that Beat It is the textbook example of a guitar solo. And of course pretty much anything on a Beatles or VU record is awesome.

You know what else rocks? Ira's solo on YLT's cover of "Little Honda". Talk about minimalist!

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:28 pm

"Hog For You Baby" by the Coasters.
the great Mickey Baker on guitar

http://mac.easthouston.net/thehound/199 ... tart23.mp3
one note....take that!

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:29 pm

RWC wrote:'why' is a stupid question IMO.
:?

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:21 pm

Alright... I'll be the pansy to say it... the solo in Late for the Sky by Jackson Browne; simple, full of emotion, tons of space, and perfect for the song with a strong finish. What can I say, my Mom is a Jackson Browne FREAK and I grew up listening to his music (as well as Foghat, AC/DC, Boston, Floyd, Zeppelin, Clapton, etc.). I gots me some fun parents :devil:

I know I have others... I just cannot think of them at this very instant.
Brad Smalling
Evergroove Studio
A Solar Powered Colorado Recording Studio

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:11 pm

scotty moore- hound dog
sterling morrison- can't stand it
Tom Verlaine- breaking in my heart
Jefferson airplane- somebody to love
Paul McCartney- Taxman or Paul weller on "Start" for that matter
Kiss- Detroit rock city
Even though I'm not a big fan, Neil young - Powderfinger
Just anything that Johnny Thunders ever touched.
Ed Bradin - Piles- the original Alter Boys
Beastie Boys- Fight for your right to party

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:47 pm

johnny7 wrote:

It's so simple, and yes it is three parts, but it just kicks ASS. Also, my favorite queen song.

Semi interesting story: I had a friend in high school who's father owned a custom company called Harpers Guitars. I paid him $400 (half the total) to build me an ibanez knock off, and he never finished it, or paid me back. Apparently what ran him outta business was a contract to build like 24 of the Brian May guitars with the seperate switches for each pickup. I guess they were so expensive to build, and took so long that he actually lost money on the whole deal. I havn't seen him since about 2001 but I want my damn $400.

So, in the worst solo catagory, I'm gonna go with that little bit in Green Day's "when I come around"... It's always just bugged me.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:48 am

nestle wrote: sterling morrison- can't stand it
Tom Verlaine- breaking in my heart...
excellent call. a couple others these bring to mind, both courtesy the above w/ dean wareham/luna:

sterling: friendly advice (drives along very nicely, really like how woven into the song the solo stays. one of my favorite guitarists...)

tom: 23 minutes in brussels (the typical loopy, jaggedly out TV solo, but nice counterpoint in luna context)

pwrb
gettin' sounds

Post by pwrb » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:01 am

The Rutles "Hold My Hand" played by Neil Innes.

Speaking of Innes, he also plays one of the worst guitar solos ever (albeit purposely) on the Bonzo Dog Band's "Canyons of your Mind." Clip here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BahaL_JwgUQ

-Pete
www.weissy.com
www.verdantstudio.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:18 am

pwrb wrote:The Rutles "Hold My Hand" played by Neil Innes.

Speaking of Innes, he also plays one of the worst guitar solos ever (albeit purposely) on the Bonzo Dog Band's "Canyons of your Mind." Clip here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BahaL_JwgUQ

-Pete
www.weissy.com
www.verdantstudio.com
Neil is a super sweet guy. A friend of mine has played with on and off for years. My friend got me an autographed copy of "archeology" as a present with I mixed his record. Neil came over a couple years back and did a midwest tour with a bunch of my buddies in the band. I even ran lights one night.

--Back to you regularly scheduled program---

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:40 am

saint360 wrote:My most favorite guitar solo of all time is the longer second solo on Yo La Tengo's "Pablo & Andrea". The song itself is fantastic, and by the time it gets to that solo, the hair on the back of my neck always stands up, no matter how many times I have listened to it in the more than 12 years I have owned that CD. Everyone must listen to this song at least once in their life.

I am not a big guitar solo guy either, but I share a real appreciation with a previous poster of Mark Knopfler's guitar solos, love Hendrix's stuff of course, am consistently impressed by the solos in Fleetwood Mac songs, and agree that Beat It is the textbook example of a guitar solo. And of course pretty much anything on a Beatles or VU record is awesome.

You know what else rocks? Ira's solo on YLT's cover of "Little Honda". Talk about minimalist!
Good call on Yo La Tengo. Ira is the man!! I revere YLT more than my humble words could even convey. Amazing live band. There are a lot of good solos in their catalog. 'Pablo and Andrea' is a good call. A friend and fellow YLT fan has commented on how blown away they are by that song and how Ira can turn from something like 'Hissing Mushroom Cloud' and play such an outright beautiful solo like that. 'I Heard You Looking' is a personal fav, although I'm not sure that could be thought of as a solo per se. A favorite YLT concert moment occurred when I looked over after a devastating encore performance of 'Heard You Looking' to see some dude visibly weeping. This is kind of a bad-ass looking dude too. His friends ask him what's wrong and he's, like "man...that song was so SAD!" Considering it's instrumental, that speaks volumes for YLT.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:45 pm

roscoenyc wrote:"Hog For You Baby" by the Coasters.
the great Mickey Baker on guitar

http://mac.easthouston.net/thehound/199 ... tart23.mp3
one note....take that!
I think it's two notes, but I'll take that any day! On a side note, what the hell happened to "swing" in rock music? Where did it go? Can we get it back?

pwrb
gettin' sounds

Post by pwrb » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:54 pm

Some things:

1. Sorry for naming Neil Innes twice. I lost track. But, damn, that's a fun solo.
2. Tony, I love that you spent time w/ Neil. We must talk about this some time. Email or call me.
3. The solo on VU's "What Goes On" was played by Lou Reed, not Sterling Morrison. Not to name-drop, but Doug Yule toured w/ my band last year (played bass w/ us) and told the story of the triple-tracked solo. Apparently Moe Tucker suggested listening to all three takes of the solo at the same time and the rest is history. Doug specifically said Lou played it.
4. Some embarrassing "guilty pleasure" additions to my fave solo list: Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty (no idea who played the solo). "Lights" by Journey. There, I said it. <cowers>
5. <emerges> Has anyone mentioned "Good Times Bad Times"?
6. -Pete

www.weissy.com
www.weisstronauts.com
www.verdantstudio.com