Shudder to Think

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

iC
pushin' record

Shudder to Think

Post by iC » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:16 pm

So i just (finally) picked up Big Star "Third/Sister Lovers", and femme fatale is so beautifully put together, but i can't seem to enjoy the performance due to this nagging thought that STT covered this Lou Reed tune as well. I keep hearing Craig Wedren singing this chorus.....
Over the holiday drive i entertained myself with 50,000BC and Pony Express, but unless i was out to lunch on Rte 87N - which is possible - i swear i didn't hear it happen on either of those two records. I'm pretty sure its not on an earlier record as the song lends itself to the bands later work, but hey, maybe tonite i go digging for old copies of goat and such.
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

vatoben
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by vatoben » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:37 pm

one of my favorite things on this earth is the Pony Express record.

lyle76
takin' a dinner break

Post by lyle76 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:43 pm

second that. pony express is an amazing album - i've never heard anything like it before or since. nathan larson has the ugliest guitar tone ever, but it so works on those songs.
"meow" - a cat

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:28 am

yes its true. nothing like it before or since.... but its really about craig wedren's delivery for me. The "contra-tenor" (?!) timbre and his falsetto.... unreal.
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

DGoody
gettin' sounds

Post by DGoody » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:11 pm

I'm glad to see there is still love for one of my top records of all time......... email Craig on myspace and ask about the cover..... I'm sure he'd oblige.

Clytor
pluggin' in mics

Post by Clytor » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:17 pm

Pony Express Record!!!!! This is one of my all time favorite rock records. I got to see them play at Mary Washington College in Fredericksburg, VA. It was when Pony Express came out. They were awesome. I just remember Craig Wedren raving about the shirt he was wearing that his grandmother gave him. Sunny Day Real Estate also played that show, not too shabby.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:00 am

Clytor wrote:Pony Express Record!!!!! This is one of my all time favorite rock records. I got to see them play at Mary Washington College in Fredericksburg, VA. It was when Pony Express came out. They were awesome. I just remember Craig Wedren raving about the shirt he was wearing that his grandmother gave him. Sunny Day Real Estate also played that show, not too shabby.
My wife went to william and mary and got to see them a bunch of times (and Jawbox, and SDRE etc.) back in the day. I am still jealous to this day. Yeah pony express just rocks. i came from a prog/metal background and when i started getting into art rock etc. i thought wow, nathan larson has such a metal tone for this kind of band -- but as the other poster mentioned, it worked somehow.

BTW -- I am in Richmond too -- checked out your band - cool stuff -- I swear I have heard the first myspace song before. really catchy. if your interested you should check out the myspace of band I am in - Marionette. Cheers!
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

Clytor
pluggin' in mics

Post by Clytor » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:11 pm

I saw Jawbox many times. They are another one of my favs.

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:37 pm

I've actually been digging Craig's not so new one:

http://www.amazon.com/Lapland-Craig-Wed ... 676&sr=8-1[/url]

It's not Shutter, but it's pretty damn good. I got to see Craig play twice in the llast year and a half or so and he still blows me away.

Oh, and Pony Express rocks.

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:49 pm

So i just (finally) picked up Big Star "Third/Sister Lovers", and femme fatale is so beautifully put together, but i can't seem to enjoy the performance due to this nagging thought that STT covered this Lou Reed tune as well. I keep hearing Craig Wedren singing this chorus.....

I don't recall STT ever doing "Femme Fatale". But I have always thought that "Day Ditty" (from Funeral at the Movies, and later, the First Love Last Rites soundtrack) sounded quite a bit like it. Maybe that's what you're thinking of? The soundtrack version in particular has a slower tempo and feel that's nearly identical to "FF"... Though that one's sung by a guest vocalist, not Craig.

I loved that band too, though I never got to see them live... My now-fiancee and I bonded over Pony Express Record not long after we first met... Thanks for making me pull out those records again!

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:47 am

So i contacted Craig through mypsace and he confirmed that STT never recorded/performed FF.....re:DAY DITTY - gonna go check it out again...its very possible this is what i am hearing...("She's just a little Tease" in craig's lilt is still running through my brain's ear)....
R. Buckminster Fuller