Who?s your favorite female guitarist?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ocmusicgrl
audio school

Who?s your favorite female guitarist?

Post by ocmusicgrl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:29 pm

I play the guitar and just curious on what other female guitarists everyone listens to, if not guitarists then pianists cause I play piano too, lol.

I found an artist on myspace, Rachel McGoye. I love her music, she can rock on both the acoustic and piano and she has a unique voice. If you haven't heard of her, check her out! I really like the song "Try Try"

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:50 pm

My favorite female guitarists are Kaki King - her "Legs to Make You Longer" album is incredible -
and Shannon Wright - "Over The Sun" being one of her CD's that features a lot of her guitar playing.

Some favorite female piano players are Sylvia Courvoisier, Anne Watts (of Boister), and Nina Simone ("Pastel Blues" being one of my favorite all time recordings).

Best regards,
Steve Berson

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:08 pm

I remember hearing some Leni Stern that was kind of cool. Let's not forget Ani DeFranco either.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:10 pm

Liona Boyd.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

mutantmariachirecords
pluggin' in mics

Post by mutantmariachirecords » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:10 pm

Mine's got to be Elizabeth Cotten. She's just one of my favorite guitarists. She has got to be one of the smoothest blues guitarists ever and then I found out she played upside down and did the bass notes with one of her fingers...not her thumb!!!
OK, OK, I'll turn down the preamps for tracking.

http://www.myspace.com/mutantmariachirecords

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Not to harp, but who cares if a guitarist is female or not? I know that people say that rock n roll is some kind of boys club, but I just don't think that's true anymore. I'd say over half the bands I love these days have women in them. I wish this was a non-issue.
all the bad leaves fall on cake for heaven's sake

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:19 pm

Elizabeth Cotten! I'm so glad someone else has heard of her!

I find it a little weird to qualify someone as a great male or female guitar player, but since you asked...

Leni Stern is a pretty great guitar player, male or female.

One of my favorite female performers at this microsecond is Feist. Despite the fact that she's becoming very over-saturated as of late, I recall seeing her play a cover of Ron Sexsmith's "Secret Heart" on the Carson Daly show last year and it blew me away. The tone and the feeling in her finger-strummed Guild Starfire just slayed me.

As far as shred-capable females, a good friend of mine named Jodi Frawlee is completely insane when it comes to guitar-hero stuff, yet she's this incredible pop music fan who supplies me with bootlegs of the Grays playing at CBGBs and can talk about her love of Jon Brion with me all day. www.starrfaithfull.com

Roger

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:24 pm

drumsound wrote:I remember hearing some Leni Stern that was kind of cool.
Leni is definitely an amazing player. Sheryl Bailey is another jazz guitarist who is technically as good as they get. Emily Remler also did some great playing before she passed.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:29 pm

I like Emily Haines as a performer/songwriter. She plays piano on her solo release.

kweis7
gettin' sounds

Mimi Fox

Post by kweis7 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:32 pm

I heard a couple of tracks by Mimi Fox while using pandora.com and she is pretty damn burning. Get's that Pat Martino vibe going.

Emily Remler was a fine player. I got to see her live years ago and she had a great swing feel.
you know less than you think you know, I know I do

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:15 pm

darjama wrote:I like Emily Haines as a performer/songwriter. She plays piano on her solo release.
+1!

Also, Beth Cameron from Forget Cassettes is kickass, as is her band. Her use of relationships between notes is inspiring. Helluva stage presence to boot.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Tara Key- Antietam
Thalia Zedek- Come
PJ Harvey
Shawn Colvin

Does Bilinda Butcher count? (My Bloody Valentine)

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Re: Who?s your favorite female guitarist?

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:01 pm

ocmusicgrl wrote:I play the guitar and just curious on what other female guitarists everyone listens to, if not guitarists then pianists cause I play piano too, lol.

I found an artist on myspace, Rachel McGoye. I love her music, she can rock on both the acoustic and piano and she has a unique voice. If you haven't heard of her, check her out! I really like the song "Try Try"
This is a spam, right? I mean, seriously, it's the first post ever by this person, and it sends us to a myspace for somebody who is not well-known. Also note that it appears to be written by the very Rachel being hyped ("I play piano too, lol")

There are lots of good female guitarists but some of them use terrible grammar in their spam posts to forums.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:07 pm

by gum, we've been had!
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:29 pm

Wendy Melvoin - hands down. Not to mention she was part of Prince's best backing band ever.