Catching up with '07: Sonic Youth;'s *Rather Ripped*

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vvv
zen recordist

Catching up with '07: Sonic Youth;'s *Rather Ripped*

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:57 am

Finally bought this over the weekend (consolation price for not finding anything at Banjo Mart), and I love it!

It's not the windy, atonal, noisy Yout', and it's not the "poppier" Yout', but it is songs, not jams, and the performances are excellent.

Special credit, also, to John Agnello for the mix; SY have only rarely sounded so good, and even played back loud the panning and EQ is just so cool.

I really this should be in my list of top 10.

Finally, I note they thank J. Mascis in the credits

(For reference, Sister through Dirty are my fave SY releases.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:12 am

you're actually catching up to 2006, as that record was released Summer '06. Still, better late than never. That record is AMAZING.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:53 am

Yea, it's a TJ Doherty recording. He did Sky Blue Sky, and also the last Hold Steady record (I'm not really a fan of them). Anybody know anything else he's done? I'm pretty sure he used to do some work with Jim O'Rourke, and that Jim hooked him up with SY...

Anyway, I think that the trio of "Murray St," "Sonic Nurse," and "Rather Ripped" is the most amazing group of recordings in the band's career...
Alex C. McKenzie

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:01 pm

:oops:

'06 it is!

And just a killer record, timeless, heh-heh.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

doyoucompute
pluggin' in mics

Post by doyoucompute » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:30 am

I just got this at the library the other day but haven't listened to it yet. I look forward to hearing it.

doyoucompute
pluggin' in mics

Post by doyoucompute » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:03 am

I'll post a reply to myself.

After listening to Inicinerate I realized that I had written a song that sounds very similar so therefore I can no longer "use" it. I always thought of it as a neat little poppy 90's indie rock song. My girlfriend was like "sonic youth's is sooo much better," and I was like "you don't even listen to sonic youth," and she was like "yeah, but it's sonic youth."

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:20 am

sonic youth has written almost EVERY song. don't worry about it. just make the melody your own and use it.

mfghost
audio school graduate

Post by mfghost » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:34 am

subatomic pieces wrote:sonic youth has written almost EVERY song. don't worry about it. just make the melody your own and use it.
Ha ha - this reminds me of a time when my band was rehearsing some new stuff and my younger brother busted into the room and yelled "Sonic Youth wants their demo tape back!"

If you are writing rock songs and you grew up in the 80's/90's, you will write at least a couple songs that Sonic Youth already wrote without realizing it - especialy if you ever use alternate tunings. Seriously, they may have as many songs as the Beatles at this point - and has anyone ever worried that the Beatles already wrote their song!!??

esaias
audio school

Post by esaias » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:54 pm

happened to me too for couple of times.

I remember back when I was a teenager and came up with this coolest song ever and when I played it to my bandmates and they were like, umm thats a Sonic Youth's Sunday played wrong :D

Sonic Youth is one those bands that just make you want to grab your guitar and start playing.

-Tomi

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:30 am

Listened to it again yesterday; sorry it took so long and so happy I finally found it!

Incinerate...♪♪
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:16 pm

I love this album!!!

How often does a band that's been around for that long sound so fresh?

And I love how sweet and dare I say *musical* Kim Gordon's singing is on this one!
Suddenly, her songs are the treasures of the record instead of the songs I skip...

Plus, this record really does sound fantastic.
Go, Sonic Youth!

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cashed checks » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:08 pm

after the first post was made i also picked up this record. i have to agree with everything said although it took 3-4 listens to get me there. i've always looked forward to lee's turn on vox the most and was at first let down with his 'rats.' in retrospect it's more due to kim and thurston stepping it up again.

one of my fav things about this band has always been their marriage of visual art with music. the 'angry' photo in the tray card is tops. if i was 14 again i would have a poster of that on my wall.