Classic Recordings Series

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cgarges
zen recordist

Classic Recordings Series

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:15 pm

So, I'm working on compiling some information about some specific recordings that I can find from people involved in those recordings. I thought this might be of interest to some of you. I think the way to best format it would be to make this introductory thread a sticky with links to the topics themselves. For the time being, I'm going to lock the individual topics, as they'll just be a source of information, but any discussion can happen here. It'll also give me a chance to sort of test things out and get some of the first few in order.

I have several that I'm working on, but putting them together is really time-consuming, so please be patient with me.

I'm totally open to suggestions about how to organize this stuff and what to cover, but don't ask me to find stuff on a specific recording if you don't have somewhere for me to start. Also, please feel free to compile some stuff on your own and submit it to me to add to the list of links here, but please make sure that any information about a particular recording comes from someone who was directly involved. I'd rather not have this be a speculation thread, but as close to factual information as possible.

So, the first topic will be ZZ Top because I found a bunch of great stuff about their recordings.

There's also some interesting stuff about the early REM recordings here.

I'm working on some good Police stuff and AC/DC, too.

Is anyone interested in this?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:02 pm

Great stuff, Chris! Fascinating info.

I do wish he would talk about the vocal phasing...that's always been one of my things about ZZ Top. Not that I don't love the way the vocal sounds, I just wonder why so many of Gibbons' vocals are flanged/phased/otherwise messed with.

Seems one can read between lines about Frank Beard though...
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Re: Classic Recordings Series

Post by Alex Netick » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:06 pm

I'm definitely interested in the AC/DC and ZZtop stuff. I read somewhere that Bon Scott sang in an almost whisper quiet voice, and used a bunch of compression to make his voice sound like a scream -- can't remember where I heard it, maybe here. If it's true, it sure would be a case of using the studio to create a larger than life effect. The police are kind of pussies, but I'd still be interested in their shit, but not as much. I'd also be interested in Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Henrdrix, Judas Priest, etc.
cgarges wrote:So, I'm working on compiling some information about some specific recordings that I can find from people involved in those recordings. I thought this might be of interest to some of you. I think the way to best format it would be to make this introductory thread a sticky with links to the topics themselves. For the time being, I'm going to lock the individual topics, as they'll just be a source of information, but any discussion can happen here. It'll also give me a chance to sort of test things out and get some of the first few in order.

I have several that I'm working on, but putting them together is really time-consuming, so please be patient with me.

I'm totally open to suggestions about how to organize this stuff and what to cover, but don't ask me to find stuff on a specific recording if you don't have somewhere for me to start. Also, please feel free to compile some stuff on your own and submit it to me to add to the list of links here, but please make sure that any information about a particular recording comes from someone who was directly involved. I'd rather not have this be a speculation thread, but as close to factual information as possible.

So, the first topic will be ZZ Top because I found a bunch of great stuff about their recordings.

There's also some interesting stuff about the early REM recordings here.

I'm working on some good Police stuff and AC/DC, too.

Is anyone interested in this?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:15 pm

Probably because he can't sing very well. I also think they're detuned alot of the time.
dwlb wrote:Great stuff, Chris! Fascinating info.

I do wish he would talk about the vocal phasing...that's always been one of my things about ZZ Top. Not that I don't love the way the vocal sounds, I just wonder why so many of Gibbons' vocals are flanged/phased/otherwise messed with.

Seems one can read between lines about Frank Beard though...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:18 pm

Also, Chris, feel free to post as much about the Police as you like, they're badass.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Classic Recordings Series

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Alex Netick wrote:I'm definitely interested in the AC/DC and ZZtop stuff. I read somewhere that Bon Scott sang in an almost whisper quiet voice, and used a bunch of compression to make his voice sound like a scream -- can't remember where I heard it, maybe here. If it's true, it sure would be a case of using the studio to create a larger than life effect. The police are kind of pussies, but I'd still be interested in their shit, but not as much. I'd also be interested in Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Henrdrix, Judas Priest, etc.
This is exactly what I was talking about above. Provide me with some places to find information from people who worked with Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Henrdrix, Judas Priest, etc. (or do it yourself) and it'll make it up here. Also, please refrain from comments like "The police are kind of pussies," because it has absolutely no relevance to the subject at hand.

Again, the idea here is to provide a source of information. If you want to discuss whether or not you like a particular artist, feel free to start a new thread about it.

As for now, please just use this thread to discuss the idea I'm proposing.

Thanks.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:12 am

but dude, sting never, EVER, rode a motorcycle with an airbrushed wizard riding a dragon on the side, so he is obviously a pussy...

whatever, you and your 'good musicians' and 'broad taste' and 'open mind'... pfft... hippy.

*does doughnuts around you on my harley and then speeds off into the night listening to Holy Diver with an army of little demons flying behind my iron horse of doom*

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:29 am

i for one have often found myself wishing that such a resource existed to a greater extent than it does.

very excited to read what comes of this.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

BandyLou
alignin' 24-trk

Post by BandyLou » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:57 pm

I've posted this on the TOMB before - there's a GREAT website with a bunch of rolling stones recording info: http://www.timeisonourside.com/index2.html - scroll down to 'TrackTalk,' organized chronologically with lots of great quotes from Keef an' Mick.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks, BandyLou! That's a totally helpful resource. Perhaps not as technically informative as what I'm trying to put together, but useful on the master list. I'll be sure to include it as a resource. Thanks!

Anyone else?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:55 pm

I don't really have much to contribute, but I'd love to hear some details from Marc Rubel about recording Hum. Those are some of my most favorite records.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:50 pm

You know Mark. Put it together.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:27 am

cgarges wrote:You know Mark. Put it together.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
My interview with Mark would be like that old Chris Farley skit on SNL where he interviews famous people:
"So, um, you know those records you did with Hum? Well, um, THEY WERE AWESOME!"

Yeah, I'll dig around and see what's already out there, and figure out some good questions.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:32 pm

Here is some Nirvana stuff, not a lot.

The Led Zepplin Faq is here.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:46 am

mjau wrote:
cgarges wrote:You know Mark. Put it together.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
My interview with Mark would be like that old Chris Farley skit on SNL where he interviews famous people:
"So, um, you know those records you did with Hum? Well, um, THEY WERE AWESOME!"

Yeah, I'll dig around and see what's already out there, and figure out some good questions.
I'm gonna see Mark Friday. I'll mention it to him. Maybe you could do a little on-line interview that Chris could post here as a sticky.