My new EP

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Studio2roll
gimme a little kick & snare

My new EP

Post by Studio2roll » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:40 pm

Hey Tapeoppers,
I recently finished work on my band Atomic Fury's new EP. It is the streaming in the music player on http://www.atomicfury.com and at www.myspace.com/atomicfury The name of the EP is "Kid Tested, Mother Approved", and consists of five tracks (My Last Dollar, AM/FtheM, Mantra, Some People, and Drama Queen Riot)

I had a concept for the sound on this one that I put a lot of research into. Basically it is that I really like vinyl, and feel that the sound properties of a vinyl mix/master sound more lively, and make you "feel" the music more than you do on a CD mix/master. I'm sure that's no news to most of you. But about a year ago I heard a CD mix/master that sounded so close to the tone of vinyl I almost shit myself. So I set about trying to capture those same tones, properties into my own recordings which have far less budget than the major label reissue that inspired me. I put a needle drop and some dust sound at the beginning of the very first song, but that is the only place such a thing is added and is NOT the "tone/feeling" I'm talking about. Its more about the relationships of the peaks to RMS, and the way the highs mids and lows play out. Nothing will ever be as good as a new clean vinyl, but I feel I got pretty close for a CD and am proud of it.
Let me know what you think. If anyone is interested in any of the techniques I worked out (I don't want to say developed because I'm sure sometime, somewhere someone else tried this) to get the sounds just leave me a post and I'll write about it.

Thanks,
-Andy
"It's not who wants to sleep with you, it's who wants to sleep with you again."

-David Lee Roth

CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by CDB Studios » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:53 am

Andy,

Nice space for everything. Sometimes the vocals seem a little hidden everyonce and awhile, but nothing worrieful.

I liked how everything sonded and didn't seem overproduced and undermusicianed.

Great job!

-Zach
The damn 16 track 2" Ampex mm1100 is on the fritz, again!!! But I do love me some tape.

It's my love-hate relationship

Studio2roll
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Studio2roll » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:12 pm

Thanks Zach, I appreciate the input.

-Andy

Andy,

Nice space for everything. Sometimes the vocals seem a little hidden everyonce and awhile, but nothing worrieful.

I liked how everything sonded and didn't seem overproduced and undermusicianed.

Great job!

-Zach
"It's not who wants to sleep with you, it's who wants to sleep with you again."

-David Lee Roth