Sonic Youth's noise stuff...SYR...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

LVC_Jeff
gettin' sounds

Sonic Youth's noise stuff...SYR...

Post by LVC_Jeff » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:51 pm

So, I'm a little behind the times, but I was recently introduced to Sonic Youth's SYR-series of albums. Well, 1-4 anyway. I've listened through the first two now, and, dare I say, it's actually something I can listen to. Don't get me wrong, I'm usually one of those people that is the first to turn off "noise" music and dismiss it as pretentious, self-indulgent junk. Maybe it's the fact that this stuff has tonal stuff interspersed in it?

Anyone else heard these and/or fans of them?
Jeff- Music Recording Technology Student at LVC

Skinny Shamrock Recording- http://www.myspace.com/skinnyshamrockrecording

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:53 pm

I like the Silver Sessions (for Jason Knuth) CD a bit.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:00 pm

The first SYR is pretty good. That's the red one, right? I used to go to sleep to it every night for a few months when I was a teenagers... and then I would wake up having nightmares about giant metallic ballons. What was that, the 4th track?

I kind of lost interest after the 2nd or 3rd one and didn't really keep track.

I don't know about the Silver Sessions though. I never owned it, but I heard it a couple of times, and it kinda just sounded like noise to me. Kinda like the album "TV Shit".... Total garbage. I can't believe they got my ten dollars for that one. It's possibly worse than NYC Ghosts and Flowers.

On the slightly obscure Sonic Youth tip, did you ever check out the soundtrack to "Made In USA"? Pretty Gnarly. A good listen! Not great, like say, the "The Whitey Album", but pretty damn good.

Damn, it's been a long time since I listened to any Sonic Youth.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:47 pm

I'm on a DEEP Sonic Youth kick right now; I can't stop...

NYC Ghosts & Flowers has its moments. "Nevermind" is a GREAT song, and "Free City Rhymes" is pretty good. That's a funny album, 'coz it was basically their reaction to all their gear getting stolen. But I think most of it would have worked better as a "SY" release...

"Sister" and "A Thousand Leaves" have been getting tons of play; Lee Renaldo's got a great "everyman" sort of voice. "Pipeline/Killtime" from Sister is just amazing, and his two songs on "A Thousand Leaves" are great, too...

I love the dynamics they've been incorporating, starting with "Washing Machine." Steve Shelley is one of my most favorite drummers, and on the last few records, he really pulls his punches; he doesn't hit too hard until it's time, and for the most part plays real gentle...

And "Pattern Recognition" from "Sonic Nurse" is one of the most mind-blowing songs I've ever heard; it's set a new bar for what I'd love to achieve with a rock tune...
[/i]
Alex C. McKenzie