TOMB compilation of Low songs

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:26 pm

If it was just me I'd probably go for Words. I've had an idea on what I could do to that for a little while now. I see that's taken. It probably wouldn't hurt anything to have a little overlap, but...

Spring says we have to do Dragonfly anyway. So, there you go. Could very well end up one of those very rare (unheard of?) occurences where the LT cover of the song is more straightforward than the original album version.

I'd vote for closer to the solstice, but I'll hopefully get something started this weekend.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:00 am

ashcat_lt wrote:If it was just me I'd probably go for Words. I've had an idea on what I could do to that for a little while now. I see that's taken. It probably wouldn't hurt anything to have a little overlap, but...

Spring says we have to do Dragonfly anyway. So, there you go. Could very well end up one of those very rare (unheard of?) occurences where the LT cover of the song is more straightforward than the original album version.

I'd vote for closer to the solstice, but I'll hopefully get something started this weekend.
Sounds good...a second version of Words wouldn't be so bad BTW...could even be an interesting inclusion. Wouldn't want a ton of duplicates, but a couple would be an OK thing I think. Our version of Words is sort of...odd sounding (for lack of better words) so I'm pretty sure they'd be quite different.

A cover of Dragonfly would be good too though!

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:59 pm

So, after having skimmed the 15! pages of the Beach Boys comp thread, it appears they ran into issues a couple times along the lines where the dude who has collecting everything said "I'm almost done," and then wasn't heard from in months.

Seems it might have more chance of actually happening if we made it more like a mailing list or something where everybody sends their tracks to everybody else and whoever actually has the chance to get the thing together first, does. Just an idea.

Sounds like centurymantra is pretty dedicated to this, but none of us can tell what curves life is going to throw at us. I think I could find time for level matching and converting to mp3's or whatever.

Also, while I have some reservations re: rights and such, I have plenty server space that could be used to host the final files at least long enough for us to all get a copy.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:30 am

*notices the Neil Diamond comp has evaporated*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:39 pm

ashcat_lt wrote:So, after having skimmed the 15! pages of the Beach Boys comp thread, it appears they ran into issues a couple times along the lines where the dude who has collecting everything said "I'm almost done," and then wasn't heard from in months.

Seems it might have more chance of actually happening if we made it more like a mailing list or something where everybody sends their tracks to everybody else and whoever actually has the chance to get the thing together first, does. Just an idea.

Sounds like centurymantra is pretty dedicated to this, but none of us can tell what curves life is going to throw at us. I think I could find time for level matching and converting to mp3's or whatever.

Also, while I have some reservations re: rights and such, I have plenty server space that could be used to host the final files at least long enough for us to all get a copy.
Yeah...I had noticed how that comp dragged on...and on. I'm pretty committed to handling this in a smooth fashion and am quite confident that I can put it together in a timely manner. That being said, if at any point I feel like I may run into issues getting this together, I'll definitely let folks know and maybe we could investigate some other way of assembling it.

Bryan
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:51 pm

I think I've got all the guitars I'm going to bother with tracked. Unfortunately*, Spring is due to pop here any day, so she might not be in the studio for a month or so for the vocals.

I posted some brief samples, as examples of the mods I've made to my guitars, over at the GuitarNuts board. It also gives a little insight into the signal chain.

* Unfortunate in the context of finishing any of the projects we've got going. We are all, of course, very excited to have a new intern/go-fer/bartender. 8)

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:20 pm

Hey,

If it's not too late to join, I'd love to do Starfire.

Adam

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:39 am

Spindrift wrote:Hey,

Adam
I'd say that it's not too late. I was actually recently thinking about adding a post on here to ask folks how things are going with the Low tunes.

Bryan

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:08 pm

I'd love to jump on the comp- It doesn't seem that anyone has picked Lazy yet, right?

Not that my band doesn't sounds too much like Low all ready....

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:13 pm

Actually I've been working on Starfire, but mines going to be an instrumental and for what it's worth I don't mind company. centurymantra is the bottom line here so it's his call.

Adam

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:31 pm

BeepBeep wrote:Actually I've been working on Starfire, but mines going to be an instrumental and for what it's worth I don't mind company. centurymantra is the bottom line here so it's his call.

Adam
I think that having two versions of a tune is fine, esp. if one is an instrumental. So I say...go for it! Keep me posted as things progress.

Bryan

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Fri May 02, 2008 3:15 pm

Anyone have anything finished for this? I'm curious to here what everyone is doing. I should have a mix to link to in a few hours. We're just recording 20 tracks of upright bass....

[edit]

Here it is....

http://bathyspheremusic.com/mp3/Lazy_Lo ... 06ruff.mp3

[edit]

<sound>

Is anyone still working on this?

...sigh.

Better mix soon to come. Some nasty pops in this one, but builinga control room now, and my stuff is wrapped up in trash bags and tarps.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon May 19, 2008 6:37 am

BUMP

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon May 19, 2008 10:15 am

So...any news from the folks in the loop on this project?

I just saw the edit from above with the mix for Lazy and will be checking this out.

Bryan

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Mon May 26, 2008 2:55 pm

Ummm... Am I in the loop?

I'm several small steps closer. Between paying the existence tax and parenting 2 small humans it's been difficult to get both of us into the studio to finalize the vocals. From there I think it'll take minutes to mix and be done with it. Course I'll have to decide if I want a "bass" instrument...

I'm still shooting for the solstice. Wouldn't be the first time I had to sue myself for breach of contract, though!

Edit - I refuse to listen to your stuff till mine is done!