What's your favorite "poorly"-recorded LP or track

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

rcj
pluggin' in mics

Post by rcj » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 am

'nebraska' will stand up in history as the greatest recording springsteen ever made. there's nothing kitchy or retro in that album - it's dodged the issue of being dated to a time - most likely because, initially - it wasn't intended to be an album (as i understand it). the band recorded a version of 'atlantic city' - that should be enough for bruce, or anyone else .

'either or', whilst not being the most lo fi or poorly recorded album of all time - surely is the most important record (to me) i've ever heard.

Ultrastudio
ass engineer

Post by Ultrastudio » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:20 am

Agree with Minor Threat, Pavement and GBV and I'll throw in Jesus Christ Superstar; the rock opera version w/ Ian Gillian of Deep Purple as JC. I love this record (I'm a sucker for concept albums and rock operas) but man, it has to be one of the worst engineered records ever.

Ever try to make a lo-fi record on purpose? I definitely believe that with some bands, a lo-fi sound is the right approach, production-wise. Bear in mind that I don't equate lo-fi with shitty. For me, it's more of an anti-slick sound. Way anti. It's a difficult approach. Maybe like a good actor playing a bad actor?
My studio link is http://www.ultrastudio.com

NarxistDan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by NarxistDan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:31 am

It's a difficult approach. Maybe like a good actor playing a bad actor?
Indeed. Very hard not to come across as a bad actor.
A blend of "hi-fi" and "lo_fi" (with Bono's voice at one end of the spectrum and Tom Waits' voice circa Mule Variations at the other) can be a fun approach. I usually find I end up with mud very easily trying to be to hip and lo-fi with everything. However, if everything sounds like Radioshack records except the bass and vocals which are more traditionally "good" it's easier for me to get a sound I like. Too much on either end of the spectrum is boring.
rcj wrote:
'nebraska' will stand up in history as the greatest recording springsteen ever made. there's nothing kitchy or retro in that album - it's dodged the issue of being dated to a time - most likely because, initially - it wasn't intended to be an album (as i understand it). the band recorded a version of 'atlantic city' - that should be enough for bruce, or anyone else .

'either or', whilst not being the most lo fi or poorly recorded album of all time - surely is the most important record (to me) i've ever heard.
I hope you're right about history's take on springsteen. Definitely the least time-stamped of his records, although I don't mind the production on Asbury Park, or E Street Shuffle nearly as much as the later stuff.

Careful mentioning 'e/o' on a tapeop forum thread about anything "poorly recorded". You never know who's reading. :)
Rehearse More
Edit Less

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:02 am

I am bumping Sly Stone's "There's A Riot Goin' On" because it is amazingly lo-fi for something that was recorded on a major label in a completely 'real' studio by an established superstar in 1971. There is a track about halfway through called "Spaced Cowboy" where the compressed, multitracked hiss and electrical hum is practically as loud as the music for the first eight bars of the song. It is unbelievable.

For being 'poorly recorded', though, it is absolute ear candy on headphones. A lot of thought went into the lo-fi-nesse. I highly recommend it for those with jaded ears. I have been listening to it all week so it is currently running through my head.

FWIW, I have a great affinity for the goofy sounds of the 1970s Bruce albums. "Darkness at the Edge of Town" in particular has just the right amount of timestamping in the form of boxy drums, stray bits of hiss, etc. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:06 am

Speaking of ear candy, Kelley Stolz's Antique Glow, in particular Perpetual Night, is one of my favorite headphone masterpieces.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:38 am

Ultrastudio wrote:I'll throw in Jesus Christ Superstar; the rock opera version w/ Ian Gillian of Deep Purple as JC. I love this record (I'm a sucker for concept albums and rock operas) but man, it has to be one of the worst engineered records ever.
Really? I love the sound of JCS. It definitely sounds "dated", but in this case, I think that's a good thing.

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 pm

The Wipers - Over The Edge
Did the drummer even have a kick drum? This record is so good, but the drum sound is just awful.

Paul Simon - Graceland
Again with the drums. It takes gated reverb to a whole new level.
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:26 pm

jv wrote:Really? I love the sound of JCS. It definitely sounds "dated", but in this case, I think that's a good thing.
At least it's got Mellotron.

I have a copy of that record on vinyl but haven't listened to it in years. I'l have to dig that out again.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:21 am

Good to see some props to that Kelly Stoltz 'Antique Glow' record (even though I personally wouldn't consider it poorly recorded). I love that recording and it has seen MUCH airplay around here. I have been a little dissapointed with the recordings he has done since. Not that I don't enjoy them and concur that there are some good tunes...it's just that he really hasn't been able to match that vibe and get those textures and flow of the Antique Glow record...IMHO.

Also had forgotten about the Wipers. Those are terrible sounding records...lifeless, anemic, hollow and grey. Prime example of NOT good lo-fi. I know it's not fashionable to bash the TapeOp heroes that are The Wipers, but those early records are one of those rare cases where the terrible, dull, flat patina of the sound just bars me from enjoying the music. The Wipers rock...no doubt about it, but I can't listen to 'em...it's just depressing. It's like trying to have a picnic on an overcast day with light rain and a cold front moving in. Don't matter how good the food is on the table, the shivering, wet clothes and depressing ambiance just take over.

*makes note to self to try listening to those records again over the weekend*

Any record by Billy Childish, BTW, is a prime example of lo-fi done right and with pre-meditated intent.

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:22 am

Embryo Electro wrote: Paul Simon - Graceland
AWWWWWWWW no fair dude! That album was recorded very much to resemble the style of the S. African contemporary stuff he was diggin' when he wrote those songs and recorded it! (Or, maybe I've just heard it so many times and dug it on so many levels that I no longer notice the heinousness, which is significant by today's standards, of the drum sounds)

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:57 am

cgarges wrote:
LVC_Jeff wrote:Are You Experienced, Hendrix. Sounds like crap. Terrible fades and edits and panning. But is oh so good.
Yeah, I was gonna say just about any studio recordings that Eddie Kramer did.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

And I thought I was the only one.... :wink:

Listen to the raw tracking of "Axis" on that 4 CD Hendrix set they released awhile back, and then listen to what it turned into....
Oh well....

I'd nominate Buffalo Springfield's first record for "most botched recording" of any decade...

And how about the live stuff on "Having a Rave Up" by the Yardbirds? Sounds like they hung a mic and called it a day....

Guess I'm dating myself..... :oops:
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

thieves
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by thieves » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:36 pm

Embryo Electro wrote: Paul Simon - Graceland
I'll agree that it sounds gated, but damn, it's a wonderfully recorded record. Basically the definition of slick.

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:40 pm

Dont get my wrong, I love Graceland, but the drums sound stupid. The bass tone is pretty awful too. Its a matter of taste, yes. But to me, it tastes like crap.
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:47 pm

i have no idea what any of you are talking about!

*only listens to DSOTM and Aja*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

t0pcat
audio school

Post by t0pcat » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:05 pm

I'll throw two that come in mind to me.....

1. Don't Say You Don't Remember / Beverly Bremers -- The background singers sound like they had too much to drink.

2. My Pledge Of Love / The Joe Jeffrey Group -- The strings sound like they were played by the Hooterville band.

-TC